Caliber for Deer and Coyotes - Page 9
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Caliber for Deer and Coyotes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2014, 05:17 AM   #81
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 86 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Most any rifle will do, bullet placement and correct choice bullet are what works, my father used a 30-06 for years, he had 110gr SST polymer Hornady hand loads for coyotes, he never really had much use for deer as rancher had plenty beef n mutton, still plenty types bullets to choose from, that works for powders to.

A good marksman can finesse hits using his rifle, a selection of ammunition makes it easy.

I have hand loads for use on small game for my 45-70 Govt (143 gr lead round ball over 30 gr pyrodex)
lets say you have a .300 Wincheser Mag you could load up some rounds for coyotes, loads for deer and loads for black bear or elk.

Last edited by Rex in OTZ; 08-12-2014 at 05:26 AM.
People Like This 
Old 08-12-2014, 03:10 PM   #82
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 157 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookeye View Post
It doesn't take much time and effort to find a good handload.
And when you find the recipe, you'll be able to repeat it over and over and over.
Plus more trigger time is always good.

I wouldn't call such a person a purist. Around here we call them riflemen.

Know plenty of folks with decent trophy rooms, who don't really know jack sheite about guns/bows or even hunting. A good guide can put a clod on a decent critter.

Know one nice but not too smart dude that whacked two bruiser P&Y bucks back to back (in 2 yrs). Borrowed a bow, shot with mixed arrows.Wearing blue jeans sitting on a bucket..........the last one. Think it grossed 180's.

In laws own 1500 acres and he the only bowhunter. Pops a whopper off the back field behind the house, watches it pre season.

I sure hope his wife is fat and ugly, and mean, and can't cook................
Hook Eye , some folks watch TV, some folks take long walks....I don't get anything out of hand loading ammo...All I know is results with factory Weatherby ammo(Norma)...and it works for me....it ain't broke,so why fix it?...You pay for what you get....I am sure some one with the knowledge ,can build great loads..but its not for me..I do keep some brass for a friend that likes to do what you do..but its not my game...Once I get a rifle set up for its intended purpose, I put it in the closet until show time..

Old 08-12-2014, 03:12 PM   #83
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2014 Times on 1191 Posts
Likes Given: 971

I killed more yotes (in my youth) with black tips AP 06 bullets than any other since!!!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

jpattersonnh Likes This 
Old 08-12-2014, 06:45 PM   #84

Liked 728 Times on 505 Posts
Likes Given: 758

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
I killed more yotes (in my youth) with black tips AP 06 bullets than any other since!!!
I sold 2, 300 round lots of St. Louis arsenal black tip a couple years ago for a friends widow. The idiots had no idea it was used in military shoots to win, more accurate then M2 by far. You just don't find Military ammo of the quality today that was made years ago. I sold a 300round tin of Greek .303 with a 1942 No4MK1/3 (FTR 1952) and told the buyer to keep the brass. He did not.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 08-16-2014, 08:56 PM   #85

Liked 61 Times on 41 Posts

In most situations, a 30-30 is plenty if you know what your gun can do and limit your shots.

Old 08-18-2014, 12:54 AM   #86

Liked 21 Times on 8 Posts

I use a Savage Trophy Hunter XP in .243 for both deer and coyotes in S. Georgia. I shoot a lighter load like the Hornady varmint load in 75 gr. works great and no extensive pelt damage. In S . GA., yoke pelts really ever come in like they did up north. Works we'll with my wicked light for night hunts.

I'll switch to the 95 gr., Hornady SSP for deer. The .243 hits deer well. No problems. Just check your scope when you change ammo. I like the chance to use the same rifle for both.