Caliber for Deer and Coyotes - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum >

Caliber for Deer and Coyotes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2014, 10:03 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 537 Times on 287 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinbucket View Post
The bullet is the biggest contributor in most calibers. My .270 Wby blows up leaaving a very big and ugly wound on deer under about 1020 yards with most bullets . Bronze solids of 130 grain hold together pretty well. A coyote on a deer hunt I don't worry. Put a 90 gr bullet load at cclose to 4000-4200 ft per second hand load in the rifle. It will take the head completely off or the front half. It won't feel a thing. Hunting for the pelts, I would use a solid of about 90 grains. It will reach way out and touch them and not leave too much damage to the skin, internally it will be terrible from hydraulic shock. Maybe 400 yards on it will just leave a clean hole? Haven't tried so don't know. Up close, in the woods .22 mag will do it if you hit the head or lung heart area. A .357 hollow point will just tear them up, maybe take half the head off. A .38 in the woods or really a .30-30. .45 Colt or .44-40 in handguns. .22 Horntet up close to a hundred yards. There are so many that wil lfit socme of all circumstances, you will have to use what you have and maybe reload a different bullet, or might want a different callber based on the ranges you hunt. I'm always looking for an exxcuse for a new gun.
Bronze solids on thin skinned game?
I don't recall deer being armour plated unless you Yanks have bred some mutant man killer deer.

270 WM and 90gn pills at 4000-4200fps?
Out of interest what powder and load do you use and do you have to hammer the bolt open after each shot?

Shooting deer at 1000yds?

Haven't tried stalking in another 900yds to make sure of the shot?

.22 mag on deer sized animal's?

On dog sized critters it'd work but on deer?

Mate either your the reincarnation of Carlos Hathcock or the new Jack Erskine or Craig Boddington.
People Like This 
Old 08-02-2014, 10:12 PM   #22
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 238 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 381

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
personally i wouldn't use a 204, but any centerfire caliber is legal in the state of Texas for deer hunting.

one of my co-workers main deer and hog gun was a Sako in 222 Rem. and he never failed to get a hog or deer with that rifle. he limited his shots to under hundred yards and he was a pretty decent shooter.
Yes just about anything that goes bang will work. I knew of a fellow in Scotland years ago that poached deer. He used a 22lr with home made silencer.

Old 08-02-2014, 10:20 PM   #23
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22310 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradam View Post
Yes just about anything that goes bang will work. I knew of a fellow in Scotland years ago that poached deer. He used a 22lr with home made silencer.
lots of deer have been poached with 22 Mags. for sure. and even if they were legal, i wouldn't advocate or condone their use on deer sized game.

from personal past experience, i would feel comfortable taking deer with less than a 6mm or a 243. but others may be better than myself and quite capable of taking deer with smaller calibers.

but it boils down to shot placement, proper bullet selection, knowing the ballistics and limitations of what cartridge you're using and lots of practice.
People Like This 
Old 08-02-2014, 10:41 PM   #24

[QUOTE=Axxe55;1613457]lots of deer have been poached with 22 Mags. for sure. and even if they were legal, i wouldn't advocate or condone their use on deer sized game.

from personal past experience, i would feel comfortable taking deer with less than a 6mm or a 243. but others may be better than myself and quite capable of taking deer with smaller calibers.

but it boils down to shot placement, proper bullet selection, knowing the ballistics and limitations of what cartridge you're using and lots of practice.[/QUOTE]

That's the biggest part of being a good shooter and hunter.
There's just too many who read about the latest super dooper thousand yard laser guided rifle and buy it without even getting the basics of hunting and shooting worked out with a smaller calibre and then wonder why they can't hit the broadside of a barn at 50yds with it.

As a hunter we have a moral obligation to do 1 shot,1 kill with a minimum of fuss and yes we all stuff up at times but to try and drop a deer sized animal at 1000yds where the chances of wounding are very high to most of the average punters is just ridiculous and those that put this sort of stuff on YouTube give those who have no idea ideas that they can do it also.

And this is what gives the animal activist tree huggers all the "ammo" they need to get more restrictions in.
People Like This 
Old 08-02-2014, 10:48 PM   #25
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2880 Times on 1581 Posts
Likes Given: 810

I am not recommending that anyone hunt deer with a rimfire but there have been a lot of deer taken with the lowly standard velocity 22 rim fires including shorts. Some people need the meat badly enough and dont have the money for a hi power rifle and ammunition. Poachers had to keep it quiet so the game wardens would not find them. Poaching fed a lot of people during the depression. I worked with some of the people that lived through it and they told of some very desperate times. Some times it is a matter of necessity not ethics and the rim fires have a lot more power than most people think. There is a video on Utube showing a 22lr SV 40 grain solid from a suppressed rifle completely penetrating a deer head. The deer was legally killed in season and the head was used for the demo. It is not pretty so be forewarned.

Last edited by JTJ; 08-02-2014 at 10:51 PM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 08-02-2014, 10:59 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
I am not recommending that anyone hunt deer with a rimfire but there have been a lot of deer taken with the lowly standard velocity 22 rim fires including shorts. Some people need the meat badly enough and dont have the money for a hi power rifle and ammunition. Poachers had to keep it quiet so the game wardens would not find them. Poaching fed a lot of people during the depression. I worked with some of the people that lived through it and they told of some very desperate times. Some times it is a matter of necessity not ethics and the rim fires have a lot more power than most people think. There is a video on Utube showing a 22lr SV 40 grain solid from a suppressed rifle completely penetrating a deer head. The deer was legally killed in season and the head was used for the demo. It is not pretty so be forewarned.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VW2C3exp0R4
I agree desperate times call for desperate measures and poachers do what they do but given that somebody who can afford say a .338 WM and then goes and shoots at deer or pigs etc at 800yds+ and have no idea except for what they see on YouTube or on the internet is just not doing we hunters any favours regardless of whether it's game shot with a .22 or a .50BMG.

Those of us that have been shooting/hunting since we were kids or have been at it for say 10+ years have enough experience to know what we're doing.

Jeez I've dropped pigs and goats with my .22 because that's all I had in my hands at the time while chasing rabbits but I have a bit of an idea of what I'm doing not that I'd recommend the humble .22 to do this all the time but some noobie see's this and thinks they can do it as well which then leads to wounded game which is not a picture we want to portray to the new age window licking Bambi lovers.
People Like This 
Old 08-02-2014, 11:39 PM   #27

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

The 22 mag rocks if you are hunting coyotes for pelts. At $35 a pelt, even more if you are a good skinner it won't take long to pay for a 22 mag. The 22 mag will take coyotes up to 200 yards away. When I am calling coyotes they are usually much closer before I even see the coyote/s.

A friend of mine has a rabbit decoy. The decoy stops the coyotes from becoming call shy.

Old 08-02-2014, 11:41 PM   #28
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22310 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

if a guy has nothing more than a 22 rimfire and he needs meat to put on the table to feed his hungry family, then that i can understand. (in no way does that mean i condone breaking the law, and would only apply if the economy tanked and there were no game laws)

but as long as there are laws, they need to be observed. and as far as i know, if a person needed meat to put on the table, there are plenty of feral and wild hogs, and most states don't even have any sort of restrictions on them that i know of. a couple of wild hogs would yield a lot of meat to put in the freezer and on the table.

but an ethical hunter is going to use what works to gain a quick and humane kill of a game animal or any animal for that matter. that means staying with the limitations of the gun and cartridge he's using and his own limitations.

how many times have we seen posted the question, what is the longest distance i can shoot at with such and such caliber? if the gun and cartridge can work at 400 yards, but the guy pulling the trigger can't hit accurately at 100 yards, the limitations of the cartridge are pretty much irrelevant as far as i'm concerned. too many hunters want to substitute larger or more powerful cartridges for shooting skill. sorry, but IMO, going larger and more powerful isn't going to give a person the ability to shoot at longer distances unless they practice with it first. practice, practice and more practice is what makes a person more accurate.

as a general rule, the guy who shoots a few rounds a year to check the zero on his rifle, isn't going to be as accurate as the guy who handloads and shoots a couple hundred rounds a year. i would venture a guess, that the guy who shoots and practices more is going to be accurate at longer distances as well. the guy who handloads and shoots more rounds, is probably going to have a better understanding of the ballistics and is making much more accurate ammo as well.

and there are exceptions to the rule to both sides of this of course.
People Like This 
Old 08-02-2014, 11:54 PM   #29
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3577 Times on 1723 Posts
Likes Given: 1782

Actually you are kind of trying to bridge the gap between two applications. Not doing any damage to a pelt does not work excellent with also wanting a rifle caliber that will make humane kills on a deer and medium size game. I know shot placement is the key and smaller calibers no doubt can kill deer and medium sized game but they do not always provide you with a perfect shot. And in any caliber it certainly depends upon the bullet you are using and the velocity of that projectile. Like FMJ, JHP, Bonded and etc. I guess for a choice I would have to say go with the 243 Winchester Cal. for a few reasons. It will shoot lighter to heavier loads up to 100 grain for medium sized game and smaller for predator hunting. Averages around 3250 fps for the lighter rounds. It is not an odd caliber that you would have to load yourself due to ammunition availability and cost. And you can find it about anywhere you go throughout the country. Walmart as well as most all sporting goods store anywhere. It is an easy round to reload and it is extremely flat shooting and accurate. So 243 of the two mentioned would be my advice.

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy
bradam Likes This 
Old 08-03-2014, 01:16 AM   #30

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

To clarify my post, I mentioned the 22 mag as a coyote only gun. Yes, you can take almost any game animal, including a lot of African game with a 22 mag but it not ideal for larger animals. Most deer I take with a 22 mag are shot in the head at a range of less than 10 yards. It is unrealistic to go out into the woods expecting that kind of shot all the time.

If you have a good pelt auction in your area a 22 mag would easily pay for itself and give you a little extra cash for a centerfire rifle.