Caliber for Deer and Coyotes - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Caliber for Deer and Coyotes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2014, 02:56 AM   #11
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 541 Times on 327 Posts

How about 22-250 it's good for varmints and deer.
Or you could look into the 204 .
There are many calibers that will get the job done for yotes and deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

"I'm an A**hole"
TekGreg Likes This 
Old 08-02-2014, 04:42 AM   #12

Liked 151 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 19

The bullet is the biggest contributor in most calibers. My .270 Wby blows up leaaving a very big and ugly wound on deer under about 1020 yards with most bullets . Bronze solids of 130 grain hold together pretty well. A coyote on a deer hunt I don't worry. Put a 90 gr bullet load at cclose to 4000-4200 ft per second hand load in the rifle. It will take the head completely off or the front half. It won't feel a thing. Hunting for the pelts, I would use a solid of about 90 grains. It will reach way out and touch them and not leave too much damage to the skin, internally it will be terrible from hydraulic shock. Maybe 400 yards on it will just leave a clean hole? Haven't tried so don't know. Up close, in the woods .22 mag will do it if you hit the head or lung heart area. A .357 hollow point will just tear them up, maybe take half the head off. A .38 in the woods or really a .30-30. .45 Colt or .44-40 in handguns. .22 Horntet up close to a hundred yards. There are so many that wil lfit socme of all circumstances, you will have to use what you have and maybe reload a different bullet, or might want a different callber based on the ranges you hunt. I'm always looking for an exxcuse for a new gun.

Old 08-02-2014, 05:55 AM   #13
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1464 Times on 771 Posts
Likes Given: 634

I like the .270 in this category, but any of the .25-.30 caliber guns are going to do the job of taking the animal in a non-cruel way. However, condition of the pelt is also affected by terminal ballistics - what happens when the bullet hits the body. This is not always a caliber issue. Many hunters unknowingly use mushrooming rounds, which are meant to cause trauma and hypovolemic shock. You can choose a bonded round intended for deeper penetration that will still kill if it hits the chest cavity or cranial vault, but will not expand as much as other rounds. All major arms manufacturers carry deep penetration rounds for thick-hided animals, so check into the various lines and familiarize yourself with current bullet technology.

Also, depending on the size of the animals in your area, some people are reporting the .17 HMR as good for dispatching these animals cleanly, but I don't have any personal experience on this one.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 08-02-2014, 07:19 AM   #14
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22306 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGSF View Post

unless he's in a state that has a minimum caliber restriction on game animals. that's something he needs to check out in his state's game laws to see if they do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinbucket View Post
The bullet is the biggest contributor in most calibers. My .270 Wby blows up leaaving a very big and ugly wound on deer under about 1020 yards with most bullets . Bronze solids of 130 grain hold together pretty well. A coyote on a deer hunt I don't worry. Put a 90 gr bullet load at cclose to 4000-4200 ft per second hand load in the rifle. It will take the head completely off or the front half. It won't feel a thing. Hunting for the pelts, I would use a solid of about 90 grains. It will reach way out and touch them and not leave too much damage to the skin, internally it will be terrible from hydraulic shock. Maybe 400 yards on it will just leave a clean hole? Haven't tried so don't know. Up close, in the woods .22 mag will do it if you hit the head or lung heart area. A .357 hollow point will just tear them up, maybe take half the head off. A .38 in the woods or really a .30-30. .45 Colt or .44-40 in handguns. .22 Horntet up close to a hundred yards. There are so many that wil lfit socme of all circumstances, you will have to use what you have and maybe reload a different bullet, or might want a different callber based on the ranges you hunt. I'm always looking for an exxcuse for a new gun.
just some clarification on your comments.

are you saying you hunt at a 1000 yards?

and what are you loading that pushes a 90 gr. weight bullet at 4000-4200 fps?
People Like This 
Old 08-02-2014, 08:51 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 990 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

Yeah, that's a hella 1000yard 270 rifle right their... Hey Tin what bullet you using to get that blow up?

Become steel or get cut.
People Like This 
Old 08-02-2014, 08:56 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 990 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWhiteDeath57 View Post
The title says it all. I'm looking for new rifle to take deer and coyotes on a budget. I want a caliber that will cleanly kill both and won't put a huge hole in coyote pelts as I'd like to keep them. I've heard solid things about the .243 Winchester & 6.5 Creedmoor. What would you guys suggest? What bullet is best for little fur damage on coyote pelts?
You've heard correctly the .243 and the 6mm would be the popular choice for your needs. Decades of use for that purpose.

If your not interested in taking pelts then 7mm-08.,or a 25-06 would be in my consideration.

Become steel or get cut.
People Like This 
Old 08-02-2014, 03:18 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2254 Times on 1336 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGSF View Post

A 22-250 or a 204 for deer??????????????????????????????

Old 08-02-2014, 09:08 PM   #18
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3443 Times on 1971 Posts
Likes Given: 1497

Depending on the deer and range, I like the 25-06.

The .223 is okay for yotes, but a little light for some deer (like Wisconsin deer). Florida deer are about the size of a large dog.

Call me whatever, I still prefer the 7.62X51 for things over 150#.

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)
Steel_Talon Likes This 
Old 08-02-2014, 09:26 PM   #19
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 238 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 381

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
A 22-250 or a 204 for deer??????????????????????????????
How about a sling shot with a marble under a 100 yards?:

Old 08-02-2014, 09:40 PM   #20
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22306 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradam View Post
How about a sling shot with a marble under a 100 yards?:
personally i wouldn't use a 204, but any centerfire caliber is legal in the state of Texas for deer hunting.

one of my co-workers main deer and hog gun was a Sako in 222 Rem. and he never failed to get a hog or deer with that rifle. he limited his shots to under hundred yards and he was a pretty decent shooter.