Busting a few foxes - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Busting a few foxes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2011, 10:01 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
hairbear1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Molong,NSW Australia
Posts: 626
Liked 418 Times on 227 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
Fox are tough. When you skin them, do you take the pelt off as a tube? I use a .22mag or .17hmr here. Easier on the pelts. Northern Coyotes here don't bring much anymore. All canine pelts here need to be tubes, no spliting down the belly. Just peel them like a banana. In the spring and summer we just pile them in a field and let the crows, hawks, and turkey vulchers have a feast.
Yep and then when I'm about to peg them out I split them up the belly and then stretch and nail the pelt out.
I and my young fella have used a .22 mag on them.
We do the same thing with the foxes we shoot during Spring and Summer as well,just leave them where they drop.
__________________

The ability to think and speak doesn't necessarily guarantee intelligence

hairbear1 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 10:26 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jpattersonnh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: South central,NH
Posts: 5,102
Liked 749 Times on 524 Posts
Likes Given: 793

Default

This is the awesome part about hunting. We live on opposite sides of the globe a still we hunt the same game w/ the same caliber, at night. My Dog takes care of the little bastards all by herself. An American fox hound. Man can she run!

__________________

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

jpattersonnh is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 10:34 PM   #13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: fordland,missouri
Posts: 11,099
Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh
This is the awesome part about hunting. We live on opposite sides of the globe a still we hunt the same game w/ the same caliber, at night. My Dog takes care of the little bastards all by herself. An American fox hound. Man can she run!
Thats a beautiful dog jp

God didnt make all men equal colonel sam colt did
__________________
Marlinman is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 10:52 PM   #14
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ScottA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Davenport,IA
Posts: 6,990
Liked 2337 Times on 1258 Posts
Likes Given: 844

Default

I've never seen that many foxes in one place at one time. We get plenty of coyotes around here, but foxes are a rarity.

__________________

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA
ScottA is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:24 AM   #15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jpattersonnh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: South central,NH
Posts: 5,102
Liked 749 Times on 524 Posts
Likes Given: 793

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
I've never seen that many foxes in one place at one time. We get plenty of coyotes around here, but foxes are a rarity.
They are starting to drop off here w/ coyotes moving in closer. If you take out a bunch of coyotes here, the fox population rises the next year. The bigger predator wins.

MM, she is a sweetheart too. Beleive it or not, we rescued her 3 years ago. She's about 60lb.s and all muscle. Very protective of the house and family. She would run for hours if I let her.
__________________

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

jpattersonnh is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 01:41 AM   #16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: fordland,missouri
Posts: 11,099
Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh

They are starting to drop off here w/ coyotes moving in closer. If you take out a bunch of coyotes here, the fox population rises the next year. The bigger predator wins.

MM, she is a sweetheart too. Beleive it or not, we rescued her 3 years ago. She's about 60lb.s and all muscle. Very protective of the house and family. She would run for hours if I let her.
Ya i have a buddy who has one we squirrel hunt. Hes not quite 1 1/2 old but hes about 50 lbs and sharp as a tack.

God didnt make all men equal colonel sam colt did
__________________
Marlinman is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Shotgun Broke in Half While Busting Clays 007BondJamesBond007 General Shotgun Discussion 11 10-07-2010 04:26 PM
Busting the Pope CA357 The Club House 6 10-30-2009 08:31 PM
.22 for Foxes SgtStrafer .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion 12 07-27-2008 03:46 AM