Bullets
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Bullets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2013, 01:16 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1998 Times on 1183 Posts
Likes Given: 957

Default Bullets

I just got my May issue of 'Guns&Ammo' and there is a good article titled "The Bullet is the Bottom Line". This is not a detailed tech article but it gives the reader a very good general description of the various types of hunting bullets available to hunters today. It also address the VAST lack of knowledge among hunters when it comes to bullet selection, of which I and many others have been TRYING to address here and on many other forms on the 'net'. If you have access to this publication, especially if you are a new hunter or an 'old' hunter who has not kept up with technology, I would suggest you read it.
Just because 'it worked once' does not mean it is the right tool for the job!!!!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-08-2013, 10:51 PM   #2

Liked 718 Times on 495 Posts
Likes Given: 743

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
I just got my May issue of 'Guns&Ammo' and there is a good article titled "The Bullet is the Bottom Line". This is not a detailed tech article but it gives the reader a very good general description of the various types of hunting bullets available to hunters today. It also address the VAST lack of knowledge among hunters when it comes to bullet selection, of which I and many others have been TRYING to address here and on many other forms on the 'net'. If you have access to this publication, especially if you are a new hunter or an 'old' hunter who has not kept up with technology, I would suggest you read it.
Just because 'it worked once' does not mean it is the right tool for the job!!!!
Are you saying you can wring more out of that rig.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

cottontop Likes This 
Old 04-09-2013, 12:54 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
Are you saying you can wring more out of that rig.
I am saying just what the post says. What are you saying???

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!

Old 04-09-2013, 01:19 AM   #4

I am dissapointed Jim. You know your stuff and always post VG examples that show your knowledge. I'll answer my question. When it comes to bullets for hunting, yes. Are there trade offs, yes. The question is are you willing to loose an inch at 100 yards for a bullet that will out perform what you have used. Depends on the game it is intended for. I've got old cup and core to Barnes TTXP. Neither seems to kill any better, but the barnes can do bone better. Range is a major factor.

cottontop Likes This 
Old 04-09-2013, 01:30 AM   #5

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

It has been interesting over the past 50 years to watch the bullet marketing. As hard as it may be to believe Winchester and Remington Bulk bullets took all of the Big and small game of the day.
Marketing and sales took the bullet to a very high end component of the reloading industry. We now have cloths embroidered with the name of our favorite missile. Bullets have now reached the level of designer jeans.

Old 04-10-2013, 12:46 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Did any of you read the piece?
The general rule I teach when talking big game hunting bullet selection is as follows:
7mm or smaller and/or 2800 fps or faster use a premium bullet with a high SD!
The smaller diameter bullets MUST retain their weight to penetrate deep enough to get clean kills, and high velocity is devastating (explosive fragmentation) on bullets so the use of premium bullets for big game in these circumstances is a must!

Old 04-10-2013, 01:16 AM   #7

Liked 1396 Times on 730 Posts
Likes Given: 1932

I read a real interesting book a little while ago called "Alaska's Wolf Man". It was a true biography of a hunter/trapper who lived in Alaska in the early 20th century. I grew up in the North and found his stories both fascinating and true in every detail.

He shot lots of moose; some with a .22 High Power. Many with slightly bigger calibers. He also shot lots of grizzly bears with a .30-06; sometimes at close quarters.

Just sayin'....

C.S.S.A.; N.F.A.; N.R.A. Life Member
Make the world a better place; have your liberal spayed or neutered.

Old 04-10-2013, 01:25 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
Did any of you read the piece?
The general rule I teach when talking big game hunting bullet selection is as follows:
7mm or smaller and/or 2800 fps or faster use a premium bullet with a high SD!
The smaller diameter bullets MUST retain their weight to penetrate deep enough to get clean kills, and high velocity is devastating (explosive fragmentation) on bullets so the use of premium bullets for big game in these circumstances is a must!
Did not read a single word. I don't use small calibers for large game. I have no issue using using a 285gr cast lead 9.3 on anything I would hunt here in NH. I'll use 53gr Barnes on coyote, 52gr speer HP also, add up to 65gr sierra .224's but would not use them on whitetail. I will use a 205gr jsp in a .44-40 rifle on whitetail out to 100 yards, but not really past. Never been much of a speed demon. Always liked some mass weight. I still use Barnes XFB, TSX and TTSX besides Partitions for most hunting. I'll use cup and core when it is appropriate.

Old 04-10-2013, 01:34 AM   #9

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

I would like to see some hard facts on game taken and the use of modern "Super" bullets. The hunting bullets thru shrewd marketing has been elevated to the level of Bench rest shooting.
The facts are that a .458 535 grs. Sharps Paper patch bullet is as effective as any modern missile. I doubt that few modern hunters use these bullets. However factory jacketed bullets are very efficient. Much of todays "Super" bullet value goes into the manufactures pocket not in to the game.
There are far less Big Game hunters than there were even 25 years ago. Hunters spend far fewer days afield. The modern hunter often trys to make up their lack of skill by spending for useless well marketed items.
After all fishing lures are made to appeal to the fisherman not the fish. How about a fancy box of premium "Super" bullets.

Old 04-10-2013, 02:58 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
Did not read a single word. I don't use small calibers for large game. I have no issue using using a 285gr cast lead 9.3 on anything I would hunt here in NH. I'll use 53gr Barnes on coyote, 52gr speer HP also, add up to 65gr sierra .224's but would not use them on whitetail. I will use a 205gr jsp in a .44-40 rifle on whitetail out to 100 yards, but not really past. Never been much of a speed demon. Always liked some mass weight. I still use Barnes XFB, TSX and TTSX besides Partitions for most hunting. I'll use cup and core when it is appropriate.
I don't post here to criticize you, or anyone else posting here, or even get you to change your mind. There are MANY who simple come here for information and advise but never enter into the discussion. It is those who I post for.
The bases for my advise is 50+ years of hunting, testing, and researching this subject. Use it or disregard it as you please!