Bringing guns camping

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Bringing guns camping

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2010, 03:17 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Bringing guns camping

Hello me and some friends plan on going camping in Jefferson or George Washington National forest (In virginia). I live in maryland and I was wondering if it would be legal to bring one of my long arms. I don't have a hunting license and I'm not going hunting. However I would like to bring the firearm for defense against whatever wildlife is out there. Or maybe to go plinking.

I know giving legal advice is highly discouraged but could someone point me in the correct direction where I can find an answer.

Other details

my firearms are a 12 Gauge Shotgun, .30-06 Rifle, and a .22 Winchester Rifle.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-07-2010, 12:56 PM   #2

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Default camp gun

the real threat is the human form of wildlife . protect yourself at camp ....as your home .the national forest have become quite unsafe over the years because of human predators.several rapes and murders,drug activity,a place for people with warrants to get out of town , etc ....play it safe arm youself ..your tent is your home ,when you are in it

Old 12-07-2010, 01:57 PM   #3

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

I check with my local rangers when I have questions like this.

If they say firearms only for hunting ask about coyote hunting. Here there is no season and a small fee for the license. Then you can carry all you want and say you just suck at hunting.

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Old 12-07-2010, 02:42 PM   #4
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2176 Times on 1187 Posts
Likes Given: 643

We "camp" in a 5th wheel trailer and I keep a loaded 12 guage next to the bed.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am not older than dirt but the rocks were bigger and there were more of them when I was a kid.

Old 12-07-2010, 04:05 PM   #5

Not sure about VA, but in MD state forests loaded firearms are not permitted in camp. But if you don't cause any problems, who's gonna look?

I take a gun along because as I leave camp I intend to stop at a local range and practice.