brave coyotes - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum >

brave coyotes


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2012, 07:42 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
primer1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 7,316
Liked 2979 Times on 1940 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee

Trapping with cages would be your best bet.

A cage never blinks, never sleeps.

Too bad about the rabbits. If they were edible (like cottontails) then you might have gotten some culinary use out of hunting them. A 22LR rifle or a 410 shotgun would be your best bet for rabbits.

If the rabbits are jackrabbits however, they would not have been very good to eat or hunt. In that case the 'yotes did you a favor cleaning out their next, as well as the raccoon.

Racoons normally upset garbage and make a mess.

Sounds like the 'yotes were doing you a favor.
The raccoons are a pain, I've killed 30-40 a year some years. Having the yotes that close isn't the way to get rid of em, though. My girl is seven, and the idea of the yotes around close makes me edgy.

The rabbits are cottontails, they do get into my garden sometimes. I have eaten some, and they're quite tasty at 4 cents apiece!
__________________
Feral cat waterboarder
primer1 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:24 PM   #12
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Lake Havasu,Arizona
Posts: 7,298
Liked 2884 Times on 1582 Posts
Likes Given: 810

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee View Post
A lot of cities have rules on the books that treat archery and airguns the same as firearms. Not all do, however.

I think a 410 shotgun would be your best bet. It is the least lethal in terms of possible collateral damage from shooting.

Whereas children might be at risk around coyotes, I cannot imagine any adults would ever be in danger.
They are getting more and more brazen and you can not tell what a pack will do. They have been known to take down a deer. They sure were not frightened by us. I would use the 3S principle if I shot one. Shoot, shovel and shut up. I dont think any neighbors would say anything as the have dogs or cats.
__________________
Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.
JTJ is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:50 AM   #13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: west plains,missouri
Posts: 41
Default

out here in the southern missouri ozarks we have really big coyotes. i hear them dragging deer off into the distance and slowly killing them. quite scary. there was one time we heard them eating a deer for days. everynight they'd come back and fight over it some more. next time we go hunting for deer we'll take the carcass and leave it at the bottom of a ravine. the yotes are bound to come.
__________________
"16yr Old Firearms Enthusiast"
Ruger 10/22. M1916 Mauser. Marlin-Glenfield 25. Savage 30F. Mannlicher Carcano.
thundermonty is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 03:02 AM   #14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,007
Liked 355 Times on 261 Posts
Likes Given: 358

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer1 View Post
The raccoons are a pain, I've killed 30-40 a year some years. Having the yotes that close isn't the way to get rid of em, though. My girl is seven, and the idea of the yotes around close makes me edgy.

The rabbits are cottontails, they do get into my garden sometimes. I have eaten some, and they're quite tasty at 4 cents apiece!
I love rabbit.

I have heard that raccoon tastes like pork, and is very greasy meat but good.

I agree about the danger to your daughter.
Shoobee is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 03:03 AM   #15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,007
Liked 355 Times on 261 Posts
Likes Given: 358

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundermonty View Post
out here in the southern missouri ozarks we have really big coyotes. i hear them dragging deer off into the distance and slowly killing them. quite scary. there was one time we heard them eating a deer for days. everynight they'd come back and fight over it some more. next time we go hunting for deer we'll take the carcass and leave it at the bottom of a ravine. the yotes are bound to come.
Obviously the gut pile is a sufficient lure.

You need to get the carcass skinned, cooled, and refridgerated, not leave it lying around as coyote bait.
Shoobee is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 04:34 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
primer1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 7,316
Liked 2979 Times on 1940 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee

I love rabbit.

I have heard that raccoon tastes like pork, and is very greasy meat but good.

I agree about the danger to your daughter.
You know that smell a garbage can gets in the summer? That's what raccoon tastes like. I had some at a wild game banquet, at the time I didn't realize they eat carrion, otherwise I wouldn't have touched it. I think plain dirt would taste better. Never again unless I'm starving.
__________________
Feral cat waterboarder
primer1 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:56 AM   #17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
beastmode986's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: California
Posts: 967
Liked 158 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 171

Default

just wondering, iisnt it illegal to shoot pests with a gun in towns/cities because its illegal to discharge a firearm in city limits( a couple acceptions)?????
beastmode986 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:36 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
primer1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 7,316
Liked 2979 Times on 1940 Posts

Default

I live in the country. You'd have to kill me and drag me by my cold dead fingers to the city.
__________________
Feral cat waterboarder
primer1 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:46 AM   #19
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 757
Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer1

You know that smell a garbage can gets in the summer? That's what raccoon tastes like. I had some at a wild game banquet, at the time I didn't realize they eat carrion, otherwise I wouldn't have touched it. I think plain dirt would taste better. Never again unless I'm starving.
I found it to taste kinda how a wet swampy dog smells. It was nasty
Josh1158 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:53 AM   #20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
beastmode986's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: California
Posts: 967
Liked 158 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 171

Default

primer1: your lucky lol i absolutely hate the city, its terrible. cant wait till im 18 im outta all city areas straight to the country with me lol.
beastmode986 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
223 for coyotes Mossyoakman3006 Ammunition & Reloading 12 06-19-2011 10:33 PM
Can you be this brave? opaww Politics, Religion and Controversy 7 01-12-2011 12:27 AM
Stupid or brave?--video CHLChris The Club House 7 12-21-2010 04:00 AM
Brave New World ronl Politics, Religion and Controversy 29 11-13-2008 12:29 PM



Newest Threads