Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Hunting Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   brave coyotes (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/brave-coyotes-64990/)

primer1 05-23-2012 01:34 AM

brave coyotes

Last night two coyotes attacked and killed a raccoon in my grandma's driveway. It happened literally about 15 yards from her bedroom, well lit by a security light(always on at night), and they turned on two motion detector lights, which they ignored. It appeares the raccoon found a rabbit nest with babies and upon attacking it, the yotes heard the commotion and fought the raccoon for the rabbits.

The flowers and plants in the landscaping were pushed down in a 5 foot circle with blood sprayed about 1.5 feet high around. The raccoon was another 5 feet away in pool of blood. She saw the coyotes running away.

From what I read in American rifleman, when they exert this sort of behavior they are one step away from attacking a human. To get started hunting them I want to get an electronic call, but do I wait until they attack it to turn on the red light, or keep the light on all the time and risk scaring them away with it? I'm considering selling my Harley to pay for night vision and a suppressor...

mountainman13 05-23-2012 01:42 AM

Yeah man coyotes are becoming an issue up here. They are starving and getting desperate. They are also running in big packs. My buddy picked up a roadkill dear. He got through skinning and quartering it and had to go to bed to get up for work. He put half of the deer out in his back yard (winter) so he could finish the next day. When he got up about 4 hours later the deer was gone and all that was left was the gut pile and a 5 foot circle of blood.
When he got back from work the gut pile was gone and they ate all the bloody leaves out of the 5 foot circle. They've been seen in packs numbering in the teens.
I don't go into the woods without a gun anymore. I don't hunt them though.

SwampDonkey 05-23-2012 02:13 AM

The red light is not suppose to spoke them. You can also try calling during daylight hours. Look up Randy Anderson and watch some of his videos that should get ya goin in the right track. You should check local laws and regulations before hunting.Good luck and happy hunting.

ktmboyz 05-23-2012 01:26 PM

Right now they prob have a fresh litter of pups and are trying to get em food. A pup in distress call is supposed to work really good this time of year.

A few weeks ago at the barn my g/f rides horses at coyotes came into the door yard at about 9am and killed her pet goat. She had this goat for like 15yrs and was pretty upset. I set him up with some good shotgun loads and we put the goat out in the back of the field, two days later he saw one in the am and whacked it. This was a ver yresidential neighborhood also, not like it was far out in the country. This seems to be the area they are thriving now.

alsaqr 05-23-2012 03:36 PM

Quote:

From what I read in American rifleman, when they exert this sort of behavior they are one step away from attacking a human.
i think you are right. This is extraordinary behavior for a coyote.

A coyote marked my pickup sitting the driveway by defecating on the top of the cab. Put two leg hold traps in the truck bed along with some bad venison and caught the coyote the next night. One of the neighbors saw me kill that coyote with a crossbow and thought it was awful.

That coyote could have easily killed one of the small neighborhood kids.

primer1 05-23-2012 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alsaqr

i think you are right. This is extraordinary behavior for a coyote.

A coyote marked my pickup sitting the driveway by defecating on the top of the cab. Put two leg hold traps in the truck bed along with some bad venison and caught the coyote the next night. One of the neighbors saw me kill that coyote with a crossbow and thought it was awful.

That coyote could have easily killed one of the small neighborhood kids.

On top of your truck? That takes balls. If they wasn't dangerous that would be funny. I'm glad you got it.

Your neighbor should be upset! All that poor doggie wanted was some Bacon treats and a play ball and a hug, then you came along and killed it with an evil weapon! Find a news story of a pet or kid being attacked by one and EDUCATE them, being civil while doing so.

JTJ 05-23-2012 05:32 PM

I see them walking down the middle of the street in broad daylight and we are not remote. One early evening we saw 5 or 6 of them in a vacant lot. Cant shoot them in town but I will if they threaten us. Maybe I should look into a crossbow.

Shoobee 05-23-2012 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by primer1 (Post 811315)
Last night two coyotes attacked and killed a raccoon in my grandma's driveway. It happened literally about 15 yards from her bedroom, well lit by a security light(always on at night), and they turned on two motion detector lights, which they ignored. It appeares the raccoon found a rabbit nest with babies and upon attacking it, the yotes heard the commotion and fought the raccoon for the rabbits.

The flowers and plants in the landscaping were pushed down in a 5 foot circle with blood sprayed about 1.5 feet high around. The raccoon was another 5 feet away in pool of blood. She saw the coyotes running away.

From what I read in American rifleman, when they exert this sort of behavior they are one step away from attacking a human. To get started hunting them I want to get an electronic call, but do I wait until they attack it to turn on the red light, or keep the light on all the time and risk scaring them away with it? I'm considering selling my Harley to pay for night vision and a suppressor...

Trapping with cages would be your best bet.

A cage never blinks, never sleeps.

Too bad about the rabbits. If they were edible (like cottontails) then you might have gotten some culinary use out of hunting them. A 22LR rifle or a 410 shotgun would be your best bet for rabbits.

If the rabbits are jackrabbits however, they would not have been very good to eat or hunt. In that case the 'yotes did you a favor cleaning out their next, as well as the raccoon.

Racoons normally upset garbage and make a mess.

Sounds like the 'yotes were doing you a favor.

Shoobee 05-23-2012 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTJ (Post 811822)
I see them walking down the middle of the street in broad daylight and we are not remote. One early evening we saw 5 or 6 of them in a vacant lot. Cant shoot them in town but I will if they threaten us. Maybe I should look into a crossbow.

A lot of cities have rules on the books that treat archery and airguns the same as firearms. Not all do, however.

I think a 410 shotgun would be your best bet. It is the least lethal in terms of possible collateral damage from shooting.

Whereas children might be at risk around coyotes, I cannot imagine any adults would ever be in danger.

Shoobee 05-23-2012 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainman13 (Post 811334)
Yeah man coyotes are becoming an issue up here. They are starving and getting desperate. They are also running in big packs. My buddy picked up a roadkill dear. He got through skinning and quartering it and had to go to bed to get up for work. He put half of the deer out in his back yard (winter) so he could finish the next day. When he got up about 4 hours later the deer was gone and all that was left was the gut pile and a 5 foot circle of blood.
When he got back from work the gut pile was gone and they ate all the bloody leaves out of the 5 foot circle. They've been seen in packs numbering in the teens.
I don't go into the woods without a gun anymore. I don't hunt them though.

That would happen anywhere that you leave game out overnight.

Not just 'yotes, but mountain lions or black bears would do the same thing.