Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Hunting Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   Bow hunters! What are you using this season? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/bow-hunters-what-you-using-season-86769/)

lbwar15 03-17-2013 05:50 PM

Bow hunters! What are you using this season?

I am thinking about changing shafts and broadheads this year. Just trying to see what other people are using.

yazul42 03-19-2013 11:48 AM

I don't know what type of equipment you currently use, but I started using Wensel Woodsman broadheads a couple of years ago. A 3 to 1 ratio gives it excellent flight characteristics and though they can be a pain to sharpen, then take a very good edge. I still use 2 blade Magnus for some hunting,, one can get those heads razor sharp,, I prefer heavy wood shaft arrows from Twig Archery in Conesville Ohio, made by Mr. John Christianer. I do use traditional equipment which to me is much more fun than compounds, simpler and less things that can go wrong,, just a stick and string, my favorite being my Howard Hill Tembo longbow.

Good hunting,
Jeff

Intheshop 03-20-2013 08:10 AM

'72 Bear takedown with woodies and old Bear broadheads..........some things never change?

One interesting thing about traditional equip(longbows/recurves)is that they almost always shoot BETTER with BH's.As mentioned by yazul42,3-1 ratio spreads out the tips weight and really starts the magic.For years,we had a BH only 3D range in the woods behind the house.Any good sandy soil works for backstops......we used to stump shoot creek bttms,whole lot more fun slingin broadheads.

For DIY'ers....old circular sawblades can be cut up,Tigged/silver solder'd/brazed to modify'd field tips.This is what I used to do for the kids when they were little......little baby BH's,haha.

treehugger49 03-20-2013 12:36 PM

I'm a compound bow shooter who hunts - not into competitive archery or 3-D. I like to shoot thin, heavier shafts that deliver more kinetic energy and penetration into the target, rather than lighter, faster arrows that may shoot flatter.

My shaft of choice is the Beman MFX 400 that weighs 10.4 gpi. That particular shaft is now available in their "Classic" wood grain livery. My broadhead is a 100 grain 2-blade Rage, and on the other end I'm using NAP 3.125" QuickSpin fletchings and a Lumenok. My arrow weighs in at 430 grains.

I've been a Hoyt fan for several years, and Santa brought me a 2012 Carbon Element with RKT cams for Christmas, so I'll be hanging up the Trykon for this coming season. Can't wait!

purehavoc 03-20-2013 12:42 PM

Being as I was once a sponsored shooter I have shot probably 75% of the broadheads out there on the market . Most impressive damage I have ever seen was the Ramcats , However I use the Slick Trick Mag 100s and they also do pretty massive damage and they just hold up better than the Ramcats . Solid steel ferrule and the blades are very thick german steel , I have shot 3 deer with the same head before the blades needed replaces because of a nick in the blade

Heres some damage from a slick trick and yes thats opening is massive
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...0/IMAG0122.jpg

yazul42 03-20-2013 11:38 PM

I believe a heavy shaft with a strong broadhead is definitely the way to go,, my arrows weigh between 600 to 700 grain,, depends on the wood and head. I don't shoot past 20 to 25 yards,, I find it hard to pick a good spot further than that and it doesn't take much to deflect even a heavy arrow,, I missed a nice 6 pointer a couple of years ago that I was certain was out of the saplings,, hit a little locust sapling and it fell like a rock,, good huntimg.

Jeff

bowguy 03-31-2013 12:29 PM

treehuger49, good for you. I'm also a long time Hoyt fan and looking forward to purchasing one of their Carbon Elements. They're sure sweet shooting bows. I've all but given up firearm hunting for archery although I still spend much of my time target shooting with bow and gun. For broadheads, I've had some fantastic results with Slick Tricks.

Nateroftheriver 04-09-2013 08:39 AM

Easton axis , rage broadheads, Mathews Helim 65 pound, spott hogg sight, trophy taker rest.

bowhunter17 04-14-2013 08:41 PM

PSE Supra set at 50#. carbon force xls hunter arrows with a 100 grain Steel Head by Rocket Aeroheads three blade mcganical. and Easton BTV vanes

kingrider 04-15-2013 10:55 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I have been shooting the 125 gr. 2 blade rage the last 3 seasons. They create massive wound channels.

Attachment 96225

Attachment 96226

Attachment 96227