bow help
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > bow help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2011, 02:21 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1170 Times on 762 Posts
Likes Given: 697

Default bow help

i understand this is a firearms forum but i thought there might be a good amount of bow knowledge as well. i have been using my uncles hand me down compound. its probly 10 years old or more. so i was thinking of getting myself a new bow in the future. i was curious of if there are better brands. or ok brands and what makes the differences. ive always shot fingers with every bow. longbow, recurve and compound. and i am probly going to try a release. any tips on those might be helpful as well.

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-01-2011, 02:49 AM   #2

Liked 743 Times on 435 Posts
Likes Given: 958

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfuller1 View Post
i understand this is a firearms forum but i thought there might be a good amount of bow knowledge as well. i have been using my uncles hand me down compound. its probly 10 years old or more. so i was thinking of getting myself a new bow in the future. i was curious of if there are better brands. or ok brands and what makes the differences. ive always shot fingers with every bow. longbow, recurve and compound. and i am probly going to try a release. any tips on those might be helpful as well.
Im just getting into competition archery myself, so dont know much about squat, but i can tell you , my new PSE is smooth and consistant. I use a WINN FREE FLIGHT C-10 release, it fits on your hand like a glove, little pricey $75, but i like it better than the other ones i have tried. My best advice to you ,is go to a BASS PRO, CABELLAS, ETC, where they have someone trained to properly fit the bow to you, makes all the difference in the world.

The Founders DID anticipate that arms technology would advance, that's why the 2nd amendment doesn't say "the right to keep and bear a musket".......

Old 11-01-2011, 02:54 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9426 Times on 4061 Posts
Likes Given: 1479

Really have no experience with any bow whose design is later than 1400 AD, but these folks do: 15 Best Compound Bows for 2011, Part 2

Looked up images of some of those bows. Good Grief! They would look right at home being caried by Mr. Spock on his home planet, or by an evil Jedi Knight!

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 11-01-2011, 02:57 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 499 Times on 358 Posts
Likes Given: 163

I like longbows and recurves myself,, you seem familiar with them and it seems you want to go to a compound. Nothing wrong with a compound, I just think traditional equipment is more fun to use and alot less complicated.
Go with what you know,, but also head down to an archery shop and get help. Most places are more than happy to give you any assistance they can.

Good shooting,
Jeff

Old 11-01-2011, 02:59 AM   #5

Liked 1195 Times on 713 Posts
Likes Given: 381

The cool thing about many archery shops is that you can try it in store before you buy. So try a few out. I did and ended up with a Diamond bow. It's a great fit and I knew it before I paid for it.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 11-01-2011, 03:14 AM   #6

Liked 743 Times on 435 Posts
Likes Given: 958

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Really have no experience with any bow whose design is later than 1400 AD, but these folks do: 15 Best Compound Bows for 2011, Part 2

Looked up images of some of those bows. Good Grief! They would look right at home being caried by Mr. Spock on his home planet, or by an evil Jedi Knight!
LOL...You crack me up shooter, but have to agree with you on this one, except, jedi knights arent evil, they are the good guys.

The Founders DID anticipate that arms technology would advance, that's why the 2nd amendment doesn't say "the right to keep and bear a musket".......

Old 11-01-2011, 03:56 AM   #7

Liked 184 Times on 134 Posts
Likes Given: 185

well there are tons of bows out there and really, to be honest I've been shooting the same bow for over 10 years, the best bows I have own are made by Martin and Pearson. My current bow is a Pearson Spoiler I've shot it for going on ten year now and the only thing I've really have had to replace on it have been the cable guide and arrow rest.

The best thing I can really tell you is if your going to start shooting with a release it's better to buy one before you get a brand new bow so you can get use to it before you drop the cash for a new one. Also the best way I've bought a bow is I've just gone to my local shop and just started picking them up when I found one that felt really good in my hands I test fired it and after that was pretty good I just bought it.

As far as different types of releases there I've really only used two different type wrist strap with a trigger and hand held release, I would suggest going with a wrist strap release just because you'll have less chance of launching the release with the arrow.

I've been shooting since I was 5 at least with a compound I'm not an expert but if you have question PM me also a good forum is ArcheryAddix Forums • Addix Portal

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Old 11-01-2011, 04:38 AM   #8

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Alright this ones my expertise . First off how much money do you want to spend , are you willing to keep your old accessories and put them on your new bow , if so you will have more money to spend on the bow , If not you will need to spend a little bit on new accessories . DOnt get wrapped up in this bow is better than that bow BS , Shoot what feels good in your hand and is the smoothest drawing , and dont get wrapped up in the speed crap either , faster bows are louder , every time , I shoot a bowtech general at 60# and it is super super quiet , I have owned hoyt, bowtech , mathews, martin , rytera, PSE, darton, alpine, Parker ,Bear , Diamond , and probably a few others I cannot remember .
Remember, the bow must feel not just good but must feel great in your hand or you will never have the confidence every shot to put it in the X ring .
Are you wanting it for hunting or target shooting ? because target shooters normally shoot a longer axle to axle bow for better stability and balance . Hunters usually prefer bows 33" ata and under . Single cams are normally a little quieter and easy to keep in tune ,
ALso just because stuff looks cool and is more expensive doesnt mean its he best equipment . Keep it simple and it will work flawless,

I will say this from personal experience do not buy a QAD drop away rest especially the cheap one, I have replaced more of these than you could imagine , They dont always drop and after a few times of this they really dont work right , If you want a good drop away buy a limb driver , they dont have a choice they have to work right because of the setup , and there very easy to set up ,
A sight is a sight but Im not a big fan of plastic sights , buy one with steel pins and it will last forever , Extreme, or viper makes these and they are fabulous and priced fairly .
Quivers are just quivers , you really dont need one that will hold over 3 arrows your only going to get one shot anyway , 2 if your lucky . adn this is another one where you can easily drop $100 that you dont need too.

There really isnt a bad bow out there , the most expensive isnt the best by any means ,
Find a dealer willing to set some up and let you shoot them, if there not willing, dont waste your time there find a new shop

I have won many local indoor 5 spot shooting comps and few top 5s outdoor 3D . If you have any questions give me a shout
Scott

Old 11-01-2011, 04:21 PM   #9
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Some good and some not so good advice here.

First, stay the hell away from big box stores like cabelas, Ass pro, gander etc!! Find a local pro shop or two and shoot 'em all, when your done shooting them all, shoot em all again and find what feels and shoots best FOR YOU!

As mentioned previuosly, dont get caught up in the name brand/price hype.The technology is come to a point today there is little difference in brands.

PH dogged out the QAD drop away rest. I mightily disagree with this assessment. I have one on my Growler. It works and has worked flawlessly for 3 seasons now. I would HIGHLY suggest a drop away rest...i would even suggest the QAD. Avoid the whisker bisquits like the plague. I am NOT a fan!

I would also recommend a release for sure. A good wrist strap release with an adjustable trigger.

Any other questions feel free to ask.... i am far from an expert, but have been archery hunting almost as long as i have been gun hunting. I have hunting with a Bear Kodiak recurve. A Martin Fire cat (I still miss using that bow but the limbs started stress cracking and had to be retired due to not being able to find limbs for the dinosaur) I am now shooting a Growler by Reflex.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 11-01-2011, 05:09 PM   #10

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Im not dogging it , I have just not had good experiences with them and mainly the cheaper models , This could be that the shop that previously set it up set it up improperly and by the time I get them to my shop there already broken , and as advised stay away from the whisker biscuit and any other rest like it , Trigger release for sure , this is a accuracy thing and you will want one anyway , Same thing on these they can be bought for $40 -$200 and most all of them serve the same purpose , I will say this I have shot around 50 different releases and I just dont shoot a hand held release as well as a wrist release but thats personal preference , Truball triggers are a little smoother than a trufire , Cobra used to make a Mamba R1 that was the nuts , super smooth and light trigger which I like but Mine retired after a couple yrs for a newer model . Try them out also and see what you like also , Same deal on the big box stores , stay away if you can , find a good archery shop that knows what there doing ,proper setup , and get you shooting properly and decent before you ever leave the store .
This is a confidence thing if you dont like the bow you wont shoot it well ,
I have a friend that is a mathews junkie , he doesnt shoot a mathews worth a crap , he doesnt like the grip or the spongy wall but continues to go back to mathews because he is a fan boy . He shot a PSE one season and shot it very very well unfortunantly he went back to his fanboy ways and its a complete repeat of his past .

Buy whats in your price range and what feels best to you , dont buy it for the name or looks or youll be in my buddies shoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post
Some good and some not so good advice here.

First, stay the hell away from big box stores like cabelas, Ass pro, gander etc!! Find a local pro shop or two and shoot 'em all, when your done shooting them all, shoot em all again and find what feels and shoots best FOR YOU!

As mentioned previuosly, dont get caught up in the name brand/price hype.The technology is come to a point today there is little difference in brands.

PH dogged out the QAD drop away rest. I mightily disagree with this assessment. I have one on my Growler. It works and has worked flawlessly for 3 seasons now. I would HIGHLY suggest a drop away rest...i would even suggest the QAD. Avoid the whisker bisquits like the plague. I am NOT a fan!

I would also recommend a release for sure. A good wrist strap release with an adjustable trigger.

Any other questions feel free to ask.... i am far from an expert, but have been archery hunting almost as long as i have been gun hunting. I have hunting with a Bear Kodiak recurve. A Martin Fire cat (I still miss using that bow but the limbs started stress cracking and had to be retired due to not being able to find limbs for the dinosaur) I am now shooting a Growler by Reflex.