Boots?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Boots?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2007, 04:21 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Boots?

I've got an old school pair of real Danners that are great. It now looks like Danner is all cheap crap.

Does anybody make a high quality boot any more? Actually I'm looking for a pair of hiking type boots as my Danners don't show any signs of giving it up any time soon.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-27-2007, 08:57 AM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've gone through several pairs of Danners, and you're right, they're now setting new levels of cheezy IMO. A really big issue in boot selection is obviously how they fit. If your blessed with nice wide "average" feet that are easy to fit, then I'm jealous! Meindl makes good boots that are readily available from Cabelas. Any of the bigger names from Italy and Germany make decent boots, so it depends on your foot shape and desires in footware.

Here are some great places to start:

http://lathropandsons.com/catalog/index.php

http://www.schnees.com

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/common/search/search-results1.jsp?QueryText=mendl&N=4887&Ntk=Products&N tx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=mendl&noImage=0

http://www.hikingbootshandcrafted.com

http://www.hanwag.de

http://www.lowaboots.com/catalog/catalog.cfm?Category=3&Type=M

Old 09-04-2007, 04:51 PM   #3

I'm a huge fan of LaCrosse boots....worth taking a look.

Who are the militia? They consist of the whole people, except for a few public officials.
-George Mason, Framer of the Declaration of Rights, Virginia, 1776 , which became the basis of the U.S. Bill of Rights

Old 09-08-2007, 02:38 AM   #4

German surplus combat boots. The tall ww1 and ww2 kinds.

Old 09-19-2007, 01:24 AM   #5

I'm very conservative about spending my hardly earned money, ha. But seriously I bought a pair of Danner Antelope boots 5 years ago & they were worth every single cent and then some. Those boots are so comfortable & have withstood some good hard hunts and bad weather.They were very easy to break in and are still a long way from being worn out. Oh, I don't work for them either.

Old 09-19-2007, 02:34 AM   #6

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

I bought a pair of Redwing boots a couple years ago and they were the best boots I've ever owned. I say were because they were somehow lost during a cross country move. They were the only boots I've ever bought that were comfortable straight out of the box, no break-in at all.

Old 08-03-2008, 10:22 PM   #7

Default Best military/field boot ever

Being in the military I have bought many boots so I didn't have to wear the standard issue boots. Matterhorns were alright but very heavy. Danner were great as far as no break in butI feel longevity did not justify the price. The best ever for me are a pair of army boots issued to me made by belleville. Much better longevity than danners and same no break in time. I beleive these boots can be picked up for about $120. Maybe cheaper since army has gone to a tan suede. The bellevilles are black and gor-tex lined. When these finally wear out I not rest until I find another pair. With a good pair of wool socks I could hike/hunt all day on snow in 15 degree weather.

Old 08-04-2008, 01:30 AM   #8

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
German surplus combat boots
Yah I would stay away from them my dad got a toe nail fungus from some of them.

I like Redwing boots they also make sporting boots as well as work books. My dad wears Wolverines. I myelf can't stand my Ft Lewis Go Devils as they make my feet so stinking cold in the winter.

I still have my Redwing work boots I wear them all the time mowing the grass working on the range where I shoot if I get a chance they come out and I wear them. They are hevier than my shoes but they are the most comfortable pair of shoes or boots I have ever had. little to no break in I treat them once before winter with sno-seal and then I put a little brown boot polish on them in the spring. just to keep the leather moist. You will never buy another pair of boots if you get a pair of Redwing's. They also make Irish Setter boots (Sportmans boots) and a brand of hiking shoes and boots. TOP Quality is all i have to say.

Old 08-04-2008, 05:33 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Red Wings and Matterhorns are both good choices.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 08-05-2008, 01:54 AM   #10

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

My cousin just got back from AIT, he's in the Army National Guard, I guess they let you where different boots than the old style combat boots they issue. Anyways they were Converse, I normally don't like converse cause the only thing I thought they made were those stupid looking skater shoes. They were tan in color but I imagine you could get several diff. colors. He said they are a 100% more comfortable than the "issue" boots. He got them for around $89.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380