boar hunting what gun - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > boar hunting what gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2009, 03:26 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

I would just carry the 308. No since in getting hurt with an under powered rifle. The 223 is a great cartridge but it is not ment for larger game. If you use a good heavy bullet like the 75 gr Scirocco it will do the just but with a bullet over 66gr you are going to need at a max of a 1:9" twist and I think over 75 you need a 1:8 or faster twist. You are going to need to push this bullet to the max velocity you can So that means finding a hot accurate load.

I would just take the 308 and use 150 or 165gr bullets. That should take all but the largest boar then maybe two shots to finish it off.

Old 01-26-2009, 03:46 PM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Have been hog hunting many times, Almost always used my 7mm Rem. Mag.. My son and a buddy have killed many hogs, one shot with a .243. This spring break I will be in Texas and will take my 7mm-08 for the hog hunting and 50 cal. blackpowder. Have been with other hunters using 300wsm (those worked great too). Have killed 1 hog with a point blank head shot with a .223, but it was point blank. A .308 should be just fine, use the 223 for a little smaller game in my books.

Old 01-27-2009, 02:44 PM   #13

Default 223, No

If you don't put the hog down hard, and he gets in the guide's dogs or anyone's dogs, you have one very pissed dog man. I just would not chance it. MEAN SOB's when clipped or wounded.

SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS

Don't blame the tool, blame the fool.

Old 01-27-2009, 03:20 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-BOLT View Post
Have been hog hunting many times, Almost always used my 7mm Rem. Mag.. My son and a buddy have killed many hogs, one shot with a .243. This spring break I will be in Texas and will take my 7mm-08 for the hog hunting and 50 cal. blackpowder. Have been with other hunters using 300wsm (those worked great too). Have killed 1 hog with a point blank head shot with a .223, but it was point blank. A .308 should be just fine, use the 223 for a little smaller game in my books.
Head shots don't work for some hogs due to a thick skull plate. The hogs around here carry a lot of European blood, they aren't just feral pigs

It's not uncommon around here to hear stories from guys that were camping and got attacked by hogs. Over the past summer, I was talking to a guy that said he and a buddy were out camping when they were cornered in the back of their pickup by a large boar. They dumped 2 mags of 9mm and one of .40 S&W into it's head before they crawled through the back window of the truck to safety. He said that the boar paced around the truck for 5 or 10 minutes before it walked back off into the woods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyb13 View Post
If you don't put the hog down hard, and he gets in the guide's dogs or anyone's dogs, you have one very pissed dog man. I just would not chance it. MEAN SOB's when clipped or wounded.
No offense, but dogs are for girls.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:32 PM   #15

Default 41mag

I use a 41mag and have taken many hogs. The 223 will work fine with the right bullet. Draw you a line between the eye and ear of the hog and aim in the middle, they will go down at the shot. 308 is ok but maybe over kill. But use what you are comfortable with. Good luck hogs are a blast.

Old 02-01-2009, 10:51 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by laynejc View Post
SO I will be going boar hunting in Mississippi, is .223 enough gun? I am taking a .308 for the far shots, but would like to take my .223 for the closer shots. I figure the .223 for under 100yds and .308 for anything past.
Went in Idaho. .44 mag Marlin rifle and S&W model 529 handgun both did the job just under 100 yards. 240 Grn. Hornady XTP!

Accuracy first! You can't miss fast enough to win! :D :)

Old 02-02-2009, 01:54 AM   #17

If it was me, I'd leave the .223 at home. You could very easily kill them with it, but it doesn't leave much room for error. A shot in the ear from the side or to the middle of the forehead about an inch above the eyes from the front with a .223 will drop them like a rock. A shot to the vitals will still probably kill it, but it might take a while.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:05 AM   #18

I took both, never fired a shot, I used a knife. Thanks for the advice though.

Old 02-04-2009, 04:40 PM   #19

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

" I never fired a shot, I used my knife"

How did that go? - Size - How big of knife - Got Pics?

As a part time hog hunter have been tempted to give a small sword or lance a try. Will be going over spring break taking 7mm-08 and .50 cal BP. Has anyone else done a hunt with blade and how did it go ???

Old 02-05-2009, 03:41 AM   #20

When we went, I was the only one that didnt want to use a knife. I was the only one that used a knife. I got a 150lber, one brother shot 2, other shot 1. No pictures, none of us were bright enough to bring a camera. I lied a little, I never fired a shot while hunting. We did go shooting while at my friends house. I let his G/F shoot my AR, I took the wrong magazine I had top loaded a bunch of hollow points into it. It is not a good idea to shoot tracers into pine woods. Everything went fine though. The knife was a Rambo II, a little over kill in my opinion. Great times and I would do it again. As for the tracers, he said when I come back I HAVE to bring more, his G/F loved them.