Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Hunting Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   Bloodhound (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/bloodhound-67172/)

00possum 06-27-2012 02:08 AM

Bloodhound

Hat can I hunt with a bloodhound? I was thinking coons, possums, rabbits, maybe a bobcat. And I could probably trail wounded deer. I don't want any smart remarks like "people" or "convicts".

Axxe55 06-27-2012 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 00possum (Post 850630)
Hat can I hunt with a bloodhound? I was thinking coons, possums, rabbits, maybe a bobcat. And I could probably trail wounded deer. I don't want any smart remarks like "people" or "convicts".

depends on what you train him for, or what he has been trained to hunt. on the deer issue, need to check your states game laws when it comes to game animals, just to be on the safe side of the law.

bloodhounds work well at tracking "people" or "convicts" because of their superior sense of smell. sorry couldn't resist just a little!:D

c3shooter 06-27-2012 04:27 AM

ANY dog must be trained to track, chase, or retrieve any game. However, a bllodhound would not be my first choice for any of the game you listed.

303tom 06-27-2012 05:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hounds are usually best for hunting............

hardluk1 06-27-2012 07:32 PM

Its not a easy answer. There will not be general purpose hunting dog. They do tend to want a dog to follow one type of scent. A dog that follows what ever never finds much of anything. Try to get with a group of dog hunters and be one of the runners or headers and start learning from them. More than likely there will be dogs that ,a,a don't stay on a certen scent trail and will not be wanted long. Remeber too, different game at different times of the year. Sucks to be hunting coon and the dog changes to somthing out of season and runs you all over the country side from scent to scent. Maybe a bird dog would be better as dove quail, pheasent can be hunted with one dog and not have to chase a dog over 40 or 400 times as much land. Or need a head light and gps tracking collar. And a good beater truck. Take up coyote hunting , No dog needed and bobcats tend to show up at times too.

00possum 06-27-2012 07:38 PM

Well I'm already getting a bloodhound, I just needed a animal to train him for.

JTJ 06-27-2012 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 00possum (Post 851217)
Well I'm already getting a bloodhound, I just needed a animal to train him for.

Get a supply of ear plugs.:rolleyes:

hardluk1 06-28-2012 11:40 AM

Glad you take advise so well.

Flat Tire 06-28-2012 12:33 PM

I have three german shepherds and they track me. We play a game called "search" and I leave the house ( they stay in the house ) and I walk for about 45 minutes and call back to the house to release the dogs. All I can say is it is unbelievable how they good they are at tracking me. Until you see them in action you can't believe how good they are at this game. It will take the two year old about ten minutes to follow my trail that took me 45 minutes. They have skills-

willshoum 06-29-2012 01:14 PM

Smart dogs.......

The dog knows how to track and let you know that it has found its quarry. What you need is the help of the hides of animals you intend to hunt on that perticular morning......Teach him to hunt rabbit, the first the you do is let him smell rabbit fur, the next will be opposum, and go down the line, Let him smell the fur of the animal you want him to track......How bout a blue tick.....:)