Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Birddogs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2009, 01:55 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Birddogs

I am an avid upland bird hunter. Anybody else hunt over GSPs? Presently I have 2 solid livers and here in the desert southwest we hunt desert quail and chukkar. If I was back in the northeast, I'd have a chessie in the kennel too. And of course we belong to NAVHDA. markerdown

USAF, Retired .. "From My Cold Dead Hands!"

"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." ........ Edward R. Murrow

Last edited by markerdown; 07-28-2009 at 10:36 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-01-2009, 03:45 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I am a choc. flushing lab guy. Have been taking Izzy to a sand pit swimming about three times a week. Keeping her in shape in the off season. Good looking dogs you have by the way. We are wild pheasant and quail hunters, with a little water fowl mixed in.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:47 PM   #3

I am a huge fan of the GSP. Mine turns 5 this year. My family has owned GSP's for 3 or 4 generations. We hunt bobwhite and pheasant over ours. I have hunted over pointers, eng. setters, vislas, brittanys, various spaniels, and labs, and the GSP is still the best in my opinion.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:46 PM   #4

Liked 80 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Hunt mostly quail, chukar and dove. Have 5 golden retreivers and most of my upland hunting is in the Mojave Desert area.

Jim..........................

Old 08-04-2009, 08:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterPsmith View Post
Hunt mostly quail, chukar and dove. Have 5 golden retreivers and most of my upland hunting is in the Mojave Desert area.

Jim..........................
Hey Jim,

I've hunted all throught that desert from George AFB to Edwards in my younger days. ...........................markerdown

"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." ........ Edward R. Murrow

Old 08-08-2009, 10:54 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I got a 12 week old chocolate lab name Darla Jo, or as I affectionately call her and her puppy teeth, "jaws of death". Darla weighs 25 lbs and swims like a muskrat. This is our first girl dog and she is already hunting our two cats.

I'm looking forward to hunting her this fall for birds, bunnies, and an occasional cat.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 08-09-2009, 02:13 AM   #7

Had both hound out for some preseason exercise and waterwork. Our male is a natural retriever and outstanding water dog. We're training for his NAVHDA utility dog title

Our female is the bird machine and swims just to cool off. She can't figure out the duck deal when they get into that semi-airborne flight and seem to run on the water. It drives her nuts. Typical high strung GSP

Saw one big coyote during the training. he was scrounging around old campsites. If I had my gun I would have blasted him. Vermin!

After a day of water fun, both dogs are sawing logs.............markerdown

Old 08-09-2009, 08:30 PM   #8

Default Labs are..

..the way to GO! Labs work for upland and waterfowl.

Aaron Jayjack
HuntersBlind.com -- Socially Networked Field Reporting