Bird Pest Control
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum >

Bird Pest Control

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2011, 11:46 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 112 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 87

Default Bird Pest Control

There are lots of Cardinals, some Robins and even a Bluejay living in the woods behind my apartment. There are a couple doves too, but they don't get too close. We've got some feeders on our porch but a flock of sparrows chases off the other birds so we don't get to see them often. I popped one today with my pellet gun and even with the bird in my hand I couldn't tell if it was a House Sparrow or a Tree Sparrow.

Does anyone know if native American sparrows are aggressive like that? I know the House Sparrow, which is non-native definitely is aggressive. I would feel better about popping these birds if I knew for sure they weren't native.

Hopefully I can get the sparrow flock to move on without scaring the birds of color away.

Last edited by tCan; 10-03-2011 at 12:12 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-03-2011, 02:48 AM   #2
The Stanley Cup winners......the Blackhawks
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8798 Times on 5253 Posts
Likes Given: 11665

You're never going to get rid of the sparrows. If you are putting a bird feeder out, you're going to have to get used to the fact ALL birds are going to feed from it. You are going to get a lot of the less attractive birds but you will also see the prettier ones. In my opinion, if you are going to feed the birds, just enjoy watching the birds eat.

Another way to attract the more desirable birds is to use feeders that attract specific birds. Get a squirrel proof peanut feeder to attract that Blue Jay. Get a safflower seed feeder or sunflower seed feeder to attract the cardinals. Get a thistle seed feeder to attract goldfinches, etc. I have fed the birds for many years now and have a variety of feeder styles and seeds/suet to appeal to specific birds. My yard gets vary interesting during migration. We get all kinds of unusual visitors that are passing through. If you are buying that mixed seed sort of stuff from the grocery store, you are going to get a lot of sparrows.

Old 10-03-2011, 04:33 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Also, doves are ground feeders. They will not feed from a feeder hung from anything. They will feed UNDER the feeder that the other birds scatter out of the feeder. And you won't find a much more aggessive bird out there than that Blue Jay. I've seen them attack my cats when the cats get too close to their babies just out of the nest.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:22 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Also, doves are ground feeders. They will not feed from a feeder hung from anything. They will feed UNDER the feeder that the other birds scatter out of the feeder. And you won't find a much more aggessive bird out there than that Blue Jay. I've seen them attack my cats when the cats get too close to their babies just out of the nest.
I've noticed that behavior with the doves. But even so they don't come around much. I know the Jay is aggressive, but it is native. I don't know really why I feel this way, but with birds, I would much rather leave the native species alone unless I'm going for meat.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Terry V Ohio Commentary

Old 10-03-2011, 05:25 AM   #5

Liked 78 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
You're never going to get rid of the sparrows. If you are putting a bird feeder out, you're going to have to get used to the fact ALL birds are going to feed from it. You are going to get a lot of the less attractive birds but you will also see the prettier ones. In my opinion, if you are going to feed the birds, just enjoy watching the birds eat.

Another way to attract the more desirable birds is to use feeders that attract specific birds. Get a squirrel proof peanut feeder to attract that Blue Jay. Get a safflower seed feeder or sunflower seed feeder to attract the cardinals. Get a thistle seed feeder to attract goldfinches, etc. I have fed the birds for many years now and have a variety of feeder styles and seeds/suet to appeal to specific birds. My yard gets vary interesting during migration. We get all kinds of unusual visitors that are passing through. If you are buying that mixed seed sort of stuff from the grocery store, you are going to get a lot of sparrows.
Best advice offered yet. I can't shoot something that isn't for a dinner plate. Learned that lesson as a kid, never forgot it. Shot a crow just because I had a gun in hand...and my uncle, who saw it, made me clean and eat the damn thing.
So...if I shoot an animal, it's going to be dinner.
Thanks for the advice, winds. Maybe some sparrows can buzz some more cats!!

Old 10-03-2011, 07:16 AM   #6

Well...

Quote:
Salted Sparrow:
To preserve them, you alternate layers of salt and sparrow (whole, but cleaned) in a preserving jar. When you want to eat them, you simply wash the salt off and fry them up in a little olive oil. This is best served with ouzo as a finger food.

Sparrow Pilaf in a Light Tomato Sauce:
Boil the (cleaned) sparrows for about 20 minutes or until tender. In a separate saucepan sauté onions in oil. Add fresh tomatoes and just before it is ready, add fresh basil. Add the (drained) sparrows.

This is best served on rice that has been cooked in the sparrow water.

An Arab recipe:
How to make fried sparrows

Recipe ingredients
  • 8 sparrows, cleaned or any game birds
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice
  • 1 tablespoon pomegranate thickened juice
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • A dash of white pepper
  • Fry sparrows in butter over medium heat till golden brown on all sides.
  • Season and cook over low heat for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  • Add lemon juice and pomegranate juice and cook for another 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  • Serve hot with fried mushrooms and potatoes.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Terry V Ohio Commentary

Old 10-08-2011, 01:24 PM   #7

Shot and cooked a house sparrow before breakfast this morning. I scored a headshot (could see bone and goop which I'm assuming was brain). It was the first time I'd ever cleaned an animal and when I dropped it on the counter it kinda squeaked. At this point I noticed it was still breathing . I know it's biologically possible for an animal to be dead and still breathe but dang, not cool. After a hasty decapitation follows me plucking and then attempting to cut the skin back from the breast. It took me a good 5 minutes to figure out that without a razor sharp knife, it was not going to be neat. Even a serrated blade wasn't working. And once I managed that when I pierced the breast it squeaked again (and I jumped ) but I eventually managed to get two little thumbnail sized cuts out of the breast.

Fried in oil and salted it's not offensive. Gamey, beef kind of flavor, kinda chewy. Not a bad experience overall. At least now I know that skin is tougher than it looks.

Terry V Ohio Commentary

Old 10-08-2011, 02:02 PM   #8

Liked 55 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 47

yum! lol.....me and a buddy used to shoot and cook doves when we were in college. i know what you mean about them squeaking, it startled us the first time until we figured out why it was doing that.

just remember to not shoot the cardinals, they're our state bird!! the tree huggers would be all over you!!! lol
Savage FV64 - .22
EAA Witness P - 9mm
S&W M&P Shield - 9mm
AR15 - 5.56/.223 16"
AR15 - 5.56/.223 16"
AR15 - .223 Wylde 10.5" Pistol
LR308 - 7.62x51
Savage 93R17 - .17 HMR

Old 10-08-2011, 02:54 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by tCan View Post
Shot and cooked a house sparrow before breakfast this morning. I scored a headshot (could see bone and goop which I'm assuming was brain). It was the first time I'd ever cleaned an animal and when I dropped it on the counter it kinda squeaked. At this point I noticed it was still breathing . I know it's biologically possible for an animal to be dead and still breathe but dang, not cool. After a hasty decapitation follows me plucking and then attempting to cut the skin back from the breast. It took me a good 5 minutes to figure out that without a razor sharp knife, it was not going to be neat. Even a serrated blade wasn't working. And once I managed that when I pierced the breast it squeaked again (and I jumped ) but I eventually managed to get two little thumbnail sized cuts out of the breast.

Fried in oil and salted it's not offensive. Gamey, beef kind of flavor, kinda chewy. Not a bad experience overall. At least now I know that skin is tougher than it looks.

Was it worth all that effort for that tiny piece of meat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 762 View Post
yum! lol.....me and a buddy used to shoot and cook doves when we were in college. i know what you mean about them squeaking, it startled us the first time until we figured out why it was doing that.

Why DO they do that?

Old 10-08-2011, 06:02 PM   #10

Liked 55 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Why DO they do that?
well i guess i should say we assumed we knew why it was happening. but it's really just a guess. we were thinking that air was trapped in their lungs. if we were to squeeze them it would force the air out. we were both industrial design majors though, not biology, so we have no idea what we're talking about.
Savage FV64 - .22
EAA Witness P - 9mm
S&W M&P Shield - 9mm
AR15 - 5.56/.223 16"
AR15 - 5.56/.223 16"
AR15 - .223 Wylde 10.5" Pistol
LR308 - 7.62x51
Savage 93R17 - .17 HMR