bird gun advise...
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum >

bird gun advise...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2011, 07:04 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default bird gun advise...

In a few months (late August) i and my partner are going to hunt quail and partridge .
my partner is going to use a 12gauge pompaction beneli ...
i need to choose between 2 guns double barreld stevens over and under (12gauge)
or an semi auto shotgun (chamberd 8 ) also 12gauge , ive noticed that my stevens is more accurat .... which shall i coose folks...

Last edited by sizir1shotguns; 05-10-2011 at 07:08 PM.

Join Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join Today! - Click Here

Old 05-10-2011, 08:01 PM   #2
Liked 11514 Times on 4973 Posts
Likes Given: 1890

What should you use? Why, whichever gun you shoot the best! IMHO, the doubles tend to swing on birds more gracefully than a semi. I still have an older, cheap sxs 12 g that I really like for dove.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:34 AM   #3
Liked 791 Times on 553 Posts
Likes Given: 865

Wish we could hunt Doves here. If your stomping fields, whichever is longer, for woods, the shorter barrel. You should try Woodcock here in the States. Those buggers live in the woods, fly about 3 feet (1 meter) off the ground and can bob and weave like nothing else. My buddy has picks of him hunting dove in the fig orchards in Saudi Arabia w/ one of the crown prince. They used AK47's! Strange pics indeed!
Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:45 AM   #4

The lighter the better when you are walking for a couple of hours. I suffer about anything to get into a couple of coveys.
NRA Member
Sustaining Member Southern Poverty Law Center
"Lighten Up Francis"
Semper gero sub gero
Old 05-11-2011, 05:33 PM   #5
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

for upland game & birds I prefer a double with choke tubes and a selective trigger. I personally need a 12 but a 20 is fine.
Keep the gun under 7 pounds. The selective trigger will allow you to select the barrel and choke needed for a particular shot. You can also load different shot sizes and loads .
For instance, when I hunt ruffed grouse I use an IC with 8's and the second barrel with mod full choke and baby magnum 6's. This allows for a wide pattern up close followed by a longer shot with the 6's and the heavier shot with fewer pellets are partially offset by the mag load and mod full choke
However, open pine forests for quail may be less demanding as one can wait for the longer shot and pattern to match. Hence, an auto loader 20 may be a consideration. But the double can still use 2 full chokes or a modified and full.
Outside of pass shooting for ducks etc my choice has been a double THAT FITS YOU AND PRESEASON PRACTICE.

montveil in the NC mountains
All persons present in uniform should render the military salute. Members of the armed forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute. All other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, or if applicable, remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart.