Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Biggest Barrier New Hunters Face

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2009, 03:06 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Biggest Barrier New Hunters Face

I've given this subject a lot of thought and it is my opinion that the biggest barrier potential new hunters face is a lack of available land to hunt on. Sure there are public hunting lands but these are usually so crowded that the deer simply aren't moving or leave the area all together.

I unfortunately did not grow up hunting and so the biggest challenge I have had to deal with is where to hunt. With that being said, does anyone know of an online resource where land owners can solicit hunting priviledges where potential new hunters can gain access to hunting lands that would otherwise be off limits? If there isn't really anything out there like that, then maybe we can create a forum, website, or online database so that land owners can properly manage their deer populations through responsible hunter harvesting?

Does this sound like a good idea to anyone or am I just off my rocker?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-04-2009, 11:23 AM   #2

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

I know in my area many of the farmers don't let anyone but people they know to be good people hunt on their land. In this sue happy world having a place that you could go to and find places that have deer or an abundance of other wildlife would be asking for poachers.

If you don't know the farmer personally you can bet he will say NO to you hunting his land. This goes for coyotes and ground hogs as well and not just deer bear and turkey.

Old 11-04-2009, 11:35 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I feel your pain my friend. The only reason I have a place to hunt is because I met a man thru my parents who owns land. He has 160 acres and I'm one of 4 people who have permission to hunt there and the only one that isn't family. What tango said is true, when I was a kid growing up in farm country it was common for them to let you hunt their land but between people not respecting their land and the sue happy people of this country, it's hard to get permission.

I also agree with you on game lands. Even if their were deer there I don't feel safe being in the woods with God knows how many yahoos with high powered rifles. I don't mean 30-30s and 308s either, I don't know why people think if it doesn't say magnum after its not a rifle. Do you really need a 300 Win Mag to drop a deer at 75yds? Sorry, got off topic.

I wish there was a data base like you have discribed but unfortunately you best bet would be to try to meet someone. Maybe ask around at your church or thru family. If you're backed by a person that the land owner trusts, they are more likely to give you a chance.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 11-04-2009, 11:56 AM   #4

We put in some serious sweat equity where we hunt. But it works in our favor since Jeff gets a lot of land to hunt exclusively

Old 11-05-2009, 02:19 AM   #5

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

get out and beat feet. I made business cards that I could post around and hang in feed stores and stores in general.

Mine had my name cell phone and my NRA, and VHA member number on them along with the hunters creed on the back.

Old 11-05-2009, 02:22 PM   #6

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Around here the main problem is leasing. It seems the people with the most money is the 1s that get to hunt the best land. It matters not that they don't respect the land or the game-just how much money they have to spend. Leasing is rapidly becoming the scrounge of the land in Ky. Even people like me that have hunted all their lives have trouble finding a place to hunt.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 11-05-2009, 06:45 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Hunt out west if you get a chance. There are much larger expanses of public lands. I've hunted areas local to me, from before sun up until after sun down, without seeing another person.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 11-07-2009, 08:35 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Like tango said, knock on some doors.

If you have some special skills or don't mind getting your hands a little dirty, don't be afraid to offer to work for the hunting privileges.

Don't wait to ask for permission the day before you want to start hunting. These landowner/hunter relationships often take time to develop.

Offer to share the game you harvest with him. Most often farmers are busy bring in the crops in the fall and don't have time to do a lot of hunting.

Be polite and put on a good appearance. Approach the landowner by yourself and leave the guns in your vehicle. If you do get permission, follow the landowners rules to the tee. Often good hunting land is hard to find because landowners have had bad experiences with hunters.

If the landowner says no, be polite, thank him for his time, and ask if you could leave your number in case he changes his mind.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 11-07-2009, 11:50 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1933 Times on 1036 Posts
Likes Given: 2880

What Stalkinbear said.

It is really hard to find a place to hunt in OK especially for a new hunter. Many farmers and ranchers lease their places out to the hunting clubs from Tulsa and OK City. I am pretty lucky because we own some acreage of our own that we got cheap many years ago. I also have permission to hunt on a couple of quarter sections.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:17 PM   #10

If its public land then people will bitch about overcrowding. If its private land people will bitch they can't hunt it. Don't blame the hunters willing to spend money on a lease, blame your friends and neighbors that are leasing the land to them. After all they are the ones trying to turn a dime off their land. Oh wait, never mind, that's one of their rights as a landowner. Remember, you only have a right to the pursuit of happiness not someone elses land despite the self entitlement.