Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Hunting Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   Big money hunts . (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/big-money-hunts-49476/)

MobileMarine 10-08-2011 12:12 AM

Big money hunts .

Can you , after the legal paper work for transporting firearms on airplanes , go hunt big / dangerous game by yourself ? Must you always spend mega bucks for a guide and such ? Why could you not just fly to africa and shoot a elephant ?

trip286 10-08-2011 12:27 AM

I think probably the biggest benefit (having not done it myself) would probably be the local game laws, plus being a foreigner in a different country carrying around a gun... you see where that's going right?

Get a good reputable outfitter/guide, and they'll not only help you find the game (I don't see how it could be hard to find an elephant, but I've never done it), but they could also keep you out of hot water (maybe, I'm guessing here)

JonM 10-08-2011 01:22 AM

if your talking about africa... not a chance. africa is the single most government regulated area on the planet. its the main reason its a seething hole of human misery and disaster.

if you manage to get in a country and bribe your way in and get out in the wilds your prolly gonna get shot and all your stuff taken from ya less you got the right people bribed and with you.

Txhillbilly 10-08-2011 01:45 AM

I have some friends that have gone to Africa several times on hunts. They said that you are required by law to have a guide and a professional hunter if you want to hunt dangerous game over there.
You must have a guide for any other hunting,like plains game.

Also,The smallest caliber for dangerous game allowed is like a 375 H&H.

powg 10-08-2011 01:50 AM

hunting the world

Africa is really a closed society .....The gov .runs everything and it has gotten worse since apartied has ended . Big /dangerous game is regulated by gov. who give the preserves / land owners only a certain amount of ''coupons '' for animals taken . Poachers kill more than hunters as graft /greed /black market is 90% of total animals taken per year continant wide .The well connected international poaching rings are in bed with corrupt gov. officials. Only a small portion of poachers do it to feed their families....and even they still have to pay off a tribal warlord .

texaswoodworker 10-08-2011 05:24 AM

This is kind of interesting. What would be the rules for a place like Alaska?

JonM 10-08-2011 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texaswoodworker (Post 596369)
This is kind of interesting. What would be the rules for a place like Alaska?

An alaska hunting permit, a rulebook on thehunting laws(free), and a way to get to alaska. Thats the bare minimum.

MobileMarine 10-08-2011 03:10 PM

The best way I have found so far is cabelas big game and dangerous game on xbox 360 . Yes i KNOW the 600nitro will affect my trophey quality , Its a ding buck , he is hard to chase , i dont want to wound him i want to kill him :D .

So the guys on Vs country have either paid big buck to do it legal or have paid big bucks for bribes and protection

freefall 10-08-2011 05:08 PM

In Alaska you can hunt moose, caribou and black bear on your own. Brown/griz, sheep and mt goat you must hire a registered guide or hunt with someone within 2nd degree of kindred. Brother, father, son, grandfather, grandson, I'm not sure about uncle/nephew. Pretty sure in-law doesn't get it.

trip286 10-08-2011 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MobileMarine (Post 596494)
The best way I have found so far is cabelas big game and dangerous game on xbox 360 . Yes i KNOW the 600nitro will affect my trophey quality , Its a ding buck , he is hard to chase , i dont want to wound him i want to kill him :D .

So the guys on Vs country have either paid big buck to do it legal or have paid big bucks for bribes and protection

More like sponsorships and the like. I don't think those guys are just independently wealthy. It takes some money I'm sure, I'm scared to even look at prices for it.