The BIG BLACK Shadow

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > The BIG BLACK Shadow

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2010, 04:01 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 15 Times on 6 Posts

Default The BIG BLACK Shadow

The big black shadow.

My son Trent and I were our antelope hunting in Colorado and we spotted a nice size herd of mixed male, female and yearlings. They were on a bench next to a hill that had absolutely no cover on it. The tallest weeds, bushes, grass was not over 10" high. And the ground was visable to just about every animal in the flat bench. No way was we going to be able to crawl or seclude our self from early morning till the herd came on to the bench by late morning as they have been doing for the last 3 days. We looked for alternate ways to get in close enough to ensure a fair shot. The top of the hill was over 300 yards away so that was out. But down by the bench was a creek and the banks were about 6 ft. high on the bench side. If we could drive around the hill and hit the creek North West of the bench we just might be able to go down the creek under the cover of the west bank. So we drove as far west as we could until we came apon a tractor road that ended at a gate. It was just about 100 yards to the creek and low enough that the antelope on the bench could not see us walking down the slope to the creek. Once in the creek we had some trouble with snags and brush and fallen trees so it was about 2 hours later when we finally got to the vicinity of the bench. We peeked over the edge of the creek bed and the herd was still there. There was one good size buck with lyre shaped horns of 15 inches easily. All we had to do was go another 20 feet down the creek and we would have a tree that over shadowed the edge of the bench to shoot from. We crept slowly down the creek and were almost there when I saw a big black spot that looked like a shadow under the tree we were headed for. I stopped and reached back and held Trent's arm for a moment to tell him to stop. I watched and looked at the shadow. There was something about that shadow that just didn't look right. But we were in the bright sun and could not see in the shade very well.
Then the shadow moved.
It rose up from the ground and two red eyes stared at me. Then I could make out two curved horns BIG horns. I said out of the corner of my mouth to Trent.
"Trent, walk backward vvvvery slowly. Do not turn your back, just walk backward and try to make absolutely no noise." Naturally Trent asks "Why,' "Do as I say and don't ask questions" The black shadow snorted. I stepped back and hoped that Trent had moved so I wouldn't step on him and we both fall in a pile. A totaly helpless pile. We both kept up giant backward steps and the shadow stood and took a step forward. "Trent, go up that cut in the bank and out on the bench." He said, "If we do that we will scare the antelope." He obviously had not seen what I had seen in that shadow or he was such a dedicated hunter, getting his buck came first and then we would handle emergencies later. But his old man was more cautious and I had seen what was in that shadow. "DO IT, I shouted" And that is when the black shadow charged.
What was it? It was fast and it was big. And it ran over small trees. We scrambled over the lip of the creek bank. I say 'we' because Trent finally saw what was moving toward us. As a matter of fact he was running so fast that he was out running the antelope that were fleeing two crazy men runing toward them. Maybe they were fleeing us or maybe it was the B I G Buffalo bull that was tearing up ground behind us.
I wouldn't be writing this story if that monster caught us, but it was nip and tuck for a while. I think so many running things were in his way that he got confused as to which ones to kill. We got away and so did the antelope. The Bison bull went back to his shady sleeping bed and picked up on his interrupted nap. Where did he come from? We stopped at the Colorado Division of Wildlife field office and reported the incident. The DWM (Distict Wildlife Manager) told us that a buffalo rancher 10 miles East had reported that one of his bulls had gone through the fence and was missing since last month.
(note, the fences that are built to hold buffalo are 10 ft high and have not just barb wire from the steel posts to posts, but a couple of steel cables running 3' and 5' off the ground) Three tons of bison can not be stopped by ordinary cow fences. Except this one obviously.
Sarge

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-27-2010, 05:47 AM   #2

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Haha. GREAT visual Sarge. Serious pucker factor.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 11-27-2010, 06:25 AM   #3

Thanks for another great read, Sarge!

Old 11-27-2010, 08:59 AM   #4

Default Good

Sir; another good fun story with a moral ; hahaha crap while you run

Craig

♥ Exercise daily - walk with the Lord!