Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Hunting Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   Best way to sight in my rifle (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/best-way-sight-my-rifle-99985/)

jersh243 11-05-2013 11:30 PM

Best way to sight in my rifle

What do y'all think is the best way to sight in a rifle?

kaido 11-05-2013 11:33 PM

Prepare for smart ass remark:

Go to the range, set up a target at wanted distance, load rifle, fire a few rounds, adjust site.

Normal remark:

It'd probably be best to use a set of sand bags to get it sighted in, they'll help hold the rifle stable better and eliminate some of the human error from the process......a lead sled would work best.

jersh243 11-05-2013 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaido
Prepare for smart ass remark:

Go to the range, set up a target at wanted distance, load rifle, fire a few rounds, adjust site.

Normal remark:

It'd probably be best to use a set of sand bags to get it sighted in, they'll help hold the rifle stable better and eliminate some of the human error from the process......a lead sled would work best.

Thank you! For both the smart a** remark and the normal one, both were very helpful!

Pasquanel 11-05-2013 11:39 PM

Iron or optic sight?
What caliber and what range do expect to shoot at?

jersh243 11-05-2013 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pasquanel
Iron or optic sight?
What caliber and what range do expect to shoot at?

Scope, 243 win. and under 100 yards I'm using it for deer hunting

jersh243 11-06-2013 12:10 AM

Also is it important to use the same grain ammo? Sorry for the noob question I'm new at this.

kaido 11-06-2013 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jersh243
Also is it important to use the same grain ammo? Sorry for the noob question I'm new at this.

If all your doing is shooting paper, it isn't AS important since a miss there will just mean you missed. If you're going to be hunting and you zero with xxxgr from such and such a manufacturer, then make sure when you leave for your hint, you've got the ammunition.

The reason behind this is that each bullet will shoot a little differently out of each gun. Bullet A might hit dead on but bullet B could hit a 1/4" left and low while bullet B might hit four inches high and to the right, even if all three bullets are of the same weight.

jersh243 11-06-2013 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaido

If all your doing is shooting paper, it isn't AS important since a miss there will just mean you missed. If you're going to be hunting and you zero with xxxgr from such and such a manufacturer, then make sure when you leave for your hint, you've got the ammunition.

The reason behind this is that each bullet will shoot a little differently out of each gun. Bullet A might hit dead on but bullet B could hit a 1/4" left and low while bullet B might hit four inches high and to the right, even if all three bullets are of the same weight.

Thank you!

texaswoodworker 11-06-2013 01:23 AM

When I zero in my scoped rifles. I fire three shot groups, then check/measure the distance the group is from the bullseye. I adjust the scope accordingly and repeat until its on target.

If the scope is way off (as in not even hitting paper), I may start at a close distance such as 25-50 yards until it is mostly on target, then move it to 100 yards to zero it in where I want it.

Axxe55 11-06-2013 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jersh243 (Post 1423809)
What do y'all think is the best way to sight in a rifle?

personally i like using a boresighter. saves a lot in ammo. will most definately get you on paper. then just adjust as needed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jersh243 (Post 1423858)

what ever ammo you want to hunt with, is the ammo i would sight in for. same brand and weight.