Best gun for defense against animals - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Best gun for defense against animals

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2014, 01:08 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2450 Times on 1436 Posts
Likes Given: 559

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles20 View Post
I know it will be safe as it will have thicker walls than most barrels combined. I just want to know if it will slow down a bear long enough for me to make a quick escape.
You'll make a quicker escape by not tiring yourself out hauling a small cannon. 5 feet of 1" walled mild steel will give you a workout and not let you move a barrel fast enough to get a shot. A motivated bear can run pretty fast.

If you are worried about expense of ammo, you should worry about expense and availability of actual, black powder at 400 gr per charge.

Get a real off-the-shelf rifle, that uses quality ammo, is short, light, and handles fast and offers a follow up shot. Or a pump shotgun (not too expensive and neither is the ammo, compared to what you are proposing).

Pretty sure this whole thread was just to get folks riled up.

To answer your question though: yes, connecting with a 1.5" diameter projectile and 400gr of BP with a bear would probably slow it down. Even if you missed, the roar, and black powder smoke fog bank you create, should make it think twice.

And coyotes don't really "charge" people often.

Old 07-08-2014, 01:10 PM   #22

Liked 2450 Times on 1436 Posts
Likes Given: 559

Quote:
I am not making a cannon, I am making a firearm. I don't believe in materialism and would rather something make from love.
Anything with a bore over 1" is no longer just a firearm.
thdrduck Likes This 
Old 07-08-2014, 01:16 PM   #23
Still learning
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 596 Times on 358 Posts
Likes Given: 3113

You could get a used shotgun around here for under $200. That would be my first choice over what your planning!

Old 07-08-2014, 01:19 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
Anything with a bore over 1" is no longer just a firearm.
So that would mean legally I would be allowed to use synthetic powders since it is not technically a gun.

Coal, glycerine and potassium is actually very inexpensive, I wouldn't be buying my own branded black powder when the natural ingredients can be purchased in any store. One of the great things I have read about muzzle loaders is the ability to save money by making your own stuff.

Old 07-08-2014, 01:21 PM   #25

Liked 1727 Times on 1029 Posts
Likes Given: 374

Quote:
I am not making a cannon, I am making a firearm. I don't believe in materialism and would rather something make from love.
It is my suspicion that you are out of middle school for the summer and came here with some kind of fantasy situation.

Carl Sagan

Old 07-08-2014, 01:23 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborne1 View Post
You could get a used shotgun around here for under $200. That would be my first choice over what your planning!
In my state that required a lot of paper work, and ammunition costs a lot and its just an inconvenience. Also I like the idea of using a round ball since it will stop an animal without doing to much damage and mess. I feel modern arms are very unsafe.

Old 07-08-2014, 01:24 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
It is my suspicion that you are out of middle school for the summer and came here with some kind of fantasy situation.
No, but I just moved from a quieter suburban environment to become more sustainable.

Old 07-08-2014, 01:34 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
You'll make a quicker escape by not tiring yourself out hauling a small cannon. 5 feet of 1" walled mild steel will give you a workout and not let you move a barrel fast enough to get a shot. A motivated bear can run pretty fast.

If you are worried about expense of ammo, you should worry about expense and availability of actual, black powder at 400 gr per charge.

Get a real off-the-shelf rifle, that uses quality ammo, is short, light, and handles fast and offers a follow up shot. Or a pump shotgun (not too expensive and neither is the ammo, compared to what you are proposing).

Pretty sure this whole thread was just to get folks riled up.

To answer your question though: yes, connecting with a 1.5" diameter projectile and 400gr of BP with a bear would probably slow it down. Even if you missed, the roar, and black powder smoke fog bank you create, should make it think twice.

And coyotes don't really "charge" people often.
Yes I know it would slow it down, even pebble would slow it down, but would it be enough to remove it from my property if it was to venture near?

Old 07-08-2014, 02:08 PM   #29

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 90

I do believe this thread is a line of bs
People Like This 
Old 07-08-2014, 02:18 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1021 Times on 549 Posts

Modern firearms are dangerous! The good thing is bears like cooked food, when this pipe bomb explodes you will instantly become a nice medium rare. If the bear is lucky your nerves will have your body flopping around for a minute or so, he'll think it's a live snack. If explosion takes your head completely off your body the bear will loose interest, not to worry though because the coyotes will love scavenging human bits from your lawn. When you do fire, please make sure you're standing on your concrete driveway, you wouldn't want to start a forest fire.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk
People Like This 
Closed Thread