Best gun for defense against animals
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum >

Best gun for defense against animals

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2014, 08:24 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Best gun for defense against animals

I recently moved from the suburbs into a more dangerous woodland area. I need a muzzle loader setup for defending myself against animals that pass my way or step near my property border. My setup I am having built for me is 1.5 cal lead ball (with a very large grain black powder charge, more the better.). Percussion cap firing mechanism.

I have not decided for rifling yet as I heard it effects penetration. May need some advice. I am also fixing a bayonet as a backup weapon.

Would my setup slow down a charging wild animal such a coyote or deer, and could you make any more improvements to my setup.

Many thanks!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-08-2014, 08:27 AM   #2

P.S I would also like it to deliver a punishing blow to an enraged bear. Please tell me some improvements I need to make it more powerful. I am using a steel tube for the barrel.

Old 07-08-2014, 09:39 AM   #3
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 9394 Times on 5080 Posts
Likes Given: 19585

Do you mean an inch and a half projectile?

No offense and none taken
Old 07-08-2014, 10:21 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post
Do you mean an inch and a half projectile?

1.5 cal is the same as a inch and a half diameter ball of lead.

Old 07-08-2014, 10:53 AM   #5

Liked 3621 Times on 2068 Posts
Likes Given: 2524

Charles20 - Welcome to FTF.

I live out in the country where there are deer and coyote, they are the least of my worries. Black bear are a slightly different story but they are still not overly aggressive in the East.

What is your gunsmithing background?

Let me assure you, a 1.5 cal. muzzleloader is going to kick your butt, if you charge it with enough powder to move your projectile at an acceptable velocity.

Your best bet in a muzzleloader is to buy a commercially manufactured .50 cal. or .54 cal. rifle.

Others here have smithing experience and will be able to give you better insight, but building any firearm from a "steel tube" not manufactured as a gun barrel is sketchy at best and damn near suicidal.

Best of luck in your new digs!
People Like This 
Old 07-08-2014, 11:16 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 601 Times on 430 Posts
Likes Given: 187

I am not sure why you want a muzzle loader for a defensive arm, possibly regulations concerning cartridge firearms in your area or something, but a good 12 gauge shotgun is a very effective tool for that job. Slugs and buckshot, are quite effective within their range, not to mention reloading the arm. I also agree that making barrels out of steel which one does not know the properties, is an accident waiting to happen, one can buy commercial barrels up to around .75 to .77 caliber,, I think a .62 caliber is good ML choice,
a smoothbore you have a shotgun and a ball chunker, just fun.
WebleyFosbery38 Likes This 
Old 07-08-2014, 11:17 AM   #7
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 8231 Times on 4240 Posts
Likes Given: 9476

Welcome Charlie!

Sounds like what your building is a cannon! If your not a Gunsmith and a metallurgist, you should rethink your thoughts of ever firing that thing. A muzzleloader is not generally considered a good choice for an SD weapon against animals, humans or other. Your reload will be a bit shy of in time to prevent what your seeking to prevent.

Ive been a CNY rural rat for almost 55 years, in that time, Ive never had a threat by animals other than suspect coons and a fox or two that acted funny and might have had rabies, (none tested positive but thats the only danger of CNY rural living when it comes to animals). The weapon I have used most to expel, vanquish and or kill varmints to protect the homestead has been by far my little 22 Ithaca single shot. Deer and racoons rarely charge humans and a bayonet mounted on your weapon wont stop a charging deer anyways, you would be crushed and have bambi prints on your forehead! If you have bear issues where you live, a shotgun and some slugs might be handy but for the most part, unless you lure them in with food, they have no interest in your family or home or mankind for that matter!

Dont fear the country Chuck, embrace it, its pretty safe in the lower 49 states, generally less of a threat than suburbs or City living 10 to 1!
eatmydust Likes This 
Old 07-08-2014, 12:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmydust View Post
Charles20 - Welcome to FTF.

I live out in the country where there are deer and coyote, they are the least of my worries. Black bear are a slightly different story but they are still not overly aggressive in the East.

What is your gunsmithing background?

Let me assure you, a 1.5 cal. muzzleloader is going to kick your butt, if you charge it with enough powder to move your projectile at an acceptable velocity.

Your best bet in a muzzleloader is to buy a commercially manufactured .50 cal. or .54 cal. rifle.

Others here have smithing experience and will be able to give you better insight, but building any firearm from a "steel tube" not manufactured as a gun barrel is sketchy at best and damn near suicidal.

Best of luck in your new digs!
In my state, we don't require a gunsmith license to build a black powder operated firearm. Ammunition is expensive and so is other things, especially when scrap metal is so cheep. The tube will have a wall thickness of 1" or more at 5'5" long(more than most firearms I have seen). I am going to have it made with mild steel with quenching. If I can't find a full length tube I will have to have it welded. I will be sure to have a very large charge to achieve a velocity of over 1200 FPS.

Would my gun be sufficient in making a bear or another wild animal retreat if hit with my firearm?

Old 07-08-2014, 12:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebleyFosbery38 View Post
Welcome Charlie!

Sounds like what your building is a cannon! If your not a Gunsmith and a metallurgist, you should rethink your thoughts of ever firing that thing. A muzzleloader is not generally considered a good choice for an SD weapon against animals, humans or other. Your reload will be a bit shy of in time to prevent what your seeking to prevent.

Ive been a CNY rural rat for almost 55 years, in that time, Ive never had a threat by animals other than suspect coons and a fox or two that acted funny and might have had rabies, (none tested positive but thats the only danger of CNY rural living when it comes to animals). The weapon I have used most to expel, vanquish and or kill varmints to protect the homestead has been by far my little 22 Ithaca single shot. Deer and racoons rarely charge humans and a bayonet mounted on your weapon wont stop a charging deer anyways, you would be crushed and have bambi prints on your forehead! If you have bear issues where you live, a shotgun and some slugs might be handy but for the most part, unless you lure them in with food, they have no interest in your family or home or mankind for that matter!

Dont fear the country Chuck, embrace it, its pretty safe in the lower 49 states, generally less of a threat than suburbs or City living 10 to 1!
Bears are savage hunters, and I think I have the right to blast it back to hell if it steps into my yard. I don't take any chances with vicious predators.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:26 PM   #10
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 9394 Times on 5080 Posts
Likes Given: 19585

Default Best gun for defense against animals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles20 View Post
Would my gun be sufficient in making a bear or another wild animal retreat if hit with my firearm?
Even blank cannon fire will run animals off.

Closed Thread