Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Best Deer Gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2008, 05:16 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickrem700 View Post
I'm guessing you ment best deer cal, anywho, I love these questions, I am always amazed at the amount of people that use Howitzers to shoot little bitty deer, anless you are taking deer at 300 plus yards and I doubt many are, anything much bigger than a 7MM-08 is way over kill that round will take just about anything in North America with the exception of Bear, as with cleanly killing anything know matter what you are useing everything is shot placement.
I am pretty sure more deer have been taken with a 30-30 than any other cal in history, there is no doubt any of the above mentioned cal's will kill deer dead but in all reality they are all way more than you need anless you are shooting at great distances!
It is my feeling that the 7MM-08 is one of the most over looked hunting bullets ever created if more people would study there ballistics and compair different cals you can see the numbers don't lie, not to mention you can do away with all that punishing recoil, and she is a flat shooter, so thats my pick 7MM-o8 Hands down that is my go to hunting rifle round.

I'm solidly in agreement with rickrem. In my opinion the 7mm08 is THE most perfect whitetail round ever designed. A true giant killer,it's the perfect blend of low recoil,excellent velocity,energy,trajectory,and accuracy. A 7mm bullet has plenty of weight to penetrate without excessive recoil for the job as the bigger .30s do. It has more than enough oomph to cleanly dispatch any whitetail ever born at any reasonable range. I started my kids out whitetail hunting at age 12-both boy and girl with the 7mm08 and recoil wasn't a problem at all. You can get other rifles to shoot as accurate but you'll never get a more accurate cartridge as the 7mm08.

Old 10-06-2008, 11:23 PM   #42

Worlds best deer rifle 257 Roberts

Old 10-07-2008, 08:50 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunguy453 View Post
What is the best gun to use for deer hunting?
What else besides the 30-30 would be good?

Thanks
Probably been more deer taken with the 30.30 cartridge in the US than any other round ever made,
And it's still a perennial favorite with short and medium range brush hunters!

World wide, I'd say the .30-06 or it's European copy (7.62x54) have taken more deer sized animals than any other cartridge.

My personal favorite is .270 although I still use a .30-06 from time to time...
I usually leave the magnums at home unless I'm hunting in bear country! Nothing like having a heavy mag, like a .338 when you are in bear country!

Since you are asking about rifles, consider your terrain.
Fat bullets with round noses will do a great job of pushing aside or blasting through brush to impact the target.

30.30 is so very popular because it is a hard hitting round that can push aside weeds, foliage and small debris, and the rifles that fire the 30.30 round are usually shorter and easier to wield in thick brush.
Current heavy pistol calibers will do the same for you when fired through a rifle.
Open sights are much quicker, more reliable and allow for leading a target that is moving.

If you are eastern 'Mountain' hunting, where your shot might be at shorter (longer than point blank) to medium ranges, then consider a pointed bullet fired from a shorter, lighter rifle with lower power optics.
(What lots of people call a 'Scout' rifle now.)

Pointed bullets give you longer accurate range,
Shorter, lighter rifles are more suited to brush & mountain hunting and are plenty accurate out to solid mid ranges,
And single power optics means no fiddling with knobs or adjustments before your shot, and your eye will focus on the target quicker with lower power optics.
Lower power optics pass more light, meaning you can hunt earlier and later in the day than you normally could.

If you are 'Prairie' hunting, then there isn't any such thing as a 'Point Blank' or 'Short Range' shot...
About everything you do will start at 200+ yards and go up from there.
Longer, Stiffer barrels, higher powered optics and longer distance chambering will be the order of the day.
(there is a reason western hunters invented the 'Magnum' rounds!)

Something should be said about chamberings...

Stay with a 'Popular' chambering. Don't stray off into the 'Wildcat' rounds for your first few rifles...
You will find some chamberings hard to find in certain parts of the country, or if you hunt out of the country, nearly impossible to find!

30.30, .308 (7.62x51mm) & .30-06 are pretty well universal, you can find them about anywhere,
About anywhere in the US will have .270 rounds also.

And if you want to practice a bunch, .308 & .30-06 are former military rounds, so they are CHEAP in surplus.

Buy up different weights and manufacturers ammunition and try them out in your particular rifle, some will shoot MUCH better than others!
(and you will be learning what the rifle will, and won't do with you behind it...)

Remember, practice brings confidence in your shot placement, and shot placement is EVERYTHING!
----------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
I'm solidly in agreement with rickrem. In my opinion the 7mm08 is THE most perfect whitetail round ever designed....

...It has more than enough oomph to cleanly dispatch any whitetail ever born at any reasonable range.
I agree with the 7mm06 assessment 'Stalking Bear' laid out.

The only part I disagree with is the 'White Tail' comment.

'Deer' can include anything up to very large Moose size animals, and while I agree with proper shot placement, the 7mm08 will cleanly dispatch a Moose,
I prefer to have a little more 'Meat' on the bullet...
You can just never tell when a shoulder blade or rib is going to get in the way!

I have taken many a goat, deer, both white tail and mule, and even some hogs with the 7mm08, I've seen others not cleanly stop Mule & Moose sized animals...
Good shot placement, just lousy luck hitting a bone and deflecting.

One of the most sickening feelings in the world to me is seeing a seriously wounded animal taking off!
Either that animal is going to die somewhere I can't find it,
or I'm going to spend the next 4 hours trying to find the darn thing!
Either way, I don't much care for that feeling!...

Last edited by AR Hammer; 10-07-2008 at 09:35 PM.

Old 10-13-2008, 04:42 AM   #44

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I agree that it depends on the terrain you are hunting. If you are looking at typically shooting less than 150 yards or so, the 30-30 is a great choice, especially if you are in thick brush. For Western hunting where shots are often 200+ yards, the .270 and '06 are tough to beat. If you are consistently looking at shots upwards of 350 yards, many people will go with the magnums with the 7mm Rem Mag one of the most popular for long range deer. If you are looking at long range deer and medium to long range elk, maybe bump that up to a 300 Mag or even one of the 338's.

The choices are plentiful. Match the gun to the terrain and then practice. No gun is a good deer gun if you can't hit anything with it.

Good luck.

Old 10-23-2008, 01:39 PM   #45

I personally like the .308 caliber because it's more accurate than a 30-06 but slightly less power. I have a .308 Parker Hale Safari. It is a very old gun made back in the 40's and I love it.I also prefer an older gun. The new guns are made the same. The older guns and parts were made just for that gun. You can tell a good bolt action is by sliding the bolt back and wiggling it. If it s tight it's a good one If it's not it's not as good.

Lance,

Last edited by Big-Kid; 10-23-2008 at 01:42 PM.

Old 10-23-2008, 07:38 PM   #46

The whole uber-magnum crowd is good for a laugh now and then. Extreme magnums for those difficult 50 yard shots that most of them will get.

I've been using a 257 Roberts for about 20 years now. Absolutely next to perfect. My brother has had a M70 featherweight in 7mm Mauser for just as long. The 7mm-08 has similar ballistics. That rifle is about as perfect as it gets for making any ethical shot on whitetail in a package that is nice to carry all day.

Old 12-10-2008, 01:55 AM   #47

25-06 Is a awesome round. Not to big not to small, screaming bullet. 117gr spbt is the way to hunt deer.

Old 12-13-2008, 08:53 PM   #48

I have a 7mm Rem. Mag, a .270, and a .308. They've all killed deer. I just got my first with my new 7mm last Monday

Old 12-18-2008, 06:26 PM   #49

Here is the deal depending on where u are huntin decides that question....long range short range, brush no brush ect...a 30-30 is a very versitile gun in which i own my self ive shot 200 yards but its not comfortable answer those questions and then post another....

Ghostndawoodz

"A gun is a tool, sir, no better or no worse than any other tool, an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."

Old 12-25-2008, 07:00 PM   #50

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

In my humble opinion, the 7mm08 is the best overall multipurpose deer rifle caliber/cartridge EVER designed! It'll cleanly harvest any whitetail ever to walk the earth from muzzle to 450 yards in the right hands. The 7mm08,based on necking down it's parent cartridge, the .308, is an true giant killer, performing WELL BEYOND what's it's mild recoil and minimal powder capacity suggests, while delivering extreme accuracy in just about any reasonably accurate rifle setup. I started out my kids on deer with the 7mm08, my babygirl being only 10 and she's gotten nothing but clean 1 shot kills with the light 7mm08 I built her without ever complaining about recoil.

Last edited by stalkingbear; 12-25-2008 at 07:02 PM. Reason: addition