Bear vs. 40 s&w need some info
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Bear vs. 40 s&w need some info

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2011, 07:42 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Bear vs. 40 s&w need some info

I am helping a guy who is new to handguns who is a bow hunter. He hunts in a area where there has been alot of black bear sighting's and so now he wants to buy a handgun to take carry with him in the woods easy right .357 mag. At least that's what i told him,well it wasnt that easy he said he does not like the recoil or revolvers. He wants a 40. s&w i told him im not sure if it has enough stopping power on the first hit to put a bear down but im not a bear hunter. I suggested you dont want anything smaller then a 45 cal. So any information or idea's you have please help because i dont want to turn him off from the fun of handgun shooting.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-21-2011, 07:50 PM   #2

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaTmAn View Post
I am helping a guy who is new to handguns who is a bow hunter. He hunts in a area where there has been alot of black bear sighting's and so now he wants to buy a handgun to take carry with him in the woods easy right .357 mag. At least that's what i told him,well it wasnt that easy he said he does not like the recoil or revolvers. He wants a 40. s&w i told him im not sure if it has enough stopping power on the first hit to put a bear down but im not a bear hunter. I suggested you dont want anything smaller then a 45 cal. So any information or idea's you have please help because i dont want to turn him off from the fun of handgun shooting.
Not an expert but I do not think either round mentioned would stop a bear in one shot. He would need a magnum load at a minimum..

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 03-21-2011, 07:54 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

What kind of bear are we talking about? Black bear here in NC could be handled with a hot 357 hard cast but I wouldn't go lighter then 158 and would highly suggest 170 or 180gr bullets. A 44 mag with hard cast 240gr and up should do the job.

Brown bear? Bring a rifle....a BIG one, 45-70 lever gun would be my choice and back it up with nothing smaller then a 44 Mag if you must carry a pistol.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 03-21-2011, 07:55 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

If he chooses to carry a gun not designed for penetrating such a tough hide, please encourage him to carry some poison in his pocket, so the bear dies after chewing on him.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
If he chooses to carry a gun not designed for penetrating such a tough hide, please encourage him to carry some poison in his pocket, so the bear dies after chewing on him.
Speaking of bears chewing on people, I saw a movie with Anthony Hopkins and Alec Baldwin stranded and being hunted by a Grizzly. For some strange reason I was rooting for the bear whenever Baldwin was in the shot...is that so wrong?

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 03-21-2011, 08:23 PM   #6

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
For some strange reason I was rooting for the bear whenever Baldwin was in the shot...is that so wrong?
NO!! It is what I did!!

To the OP....If he doesn't like the recoil of a .357, he isn't going to like a .40S&W, .44 Mag or .45ACP!

Best to just stay out of Bear Country and hang his bow over the fireplace!

People get the government they deserve.

Last edited by dunerunner; 03-21-2011 at 09:48 PM.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:36 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Speaking of bears chewing on people, I saw a movie with Anthony Hopkins and Alec Baldwin stranded and being hunted by a Grizzly. For some strange reason I was rooting for the bear whenever Baldwin was in the shot...is that so wrong?
Saw that & yes, it is wrong; the only good bear is a dead bear.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:37 PM   #8

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

You should really recommend to him a hand cannon or a 12ga.

X-Large Frame (X) - Smith & Wesson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 03-21-2011, 08:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Saw that & yes, it is wrong; the only good bear is a dead bear.
But doesn't the same apply to Baldwins?

Old 03-21-2011, 08:47 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
But doesn't the same apply to Baldwins?
Nah, they only annoy the public rather than eating the public, close though.