Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Hunting Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   Bear vs. 40 s&w need some info (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/bear-vs-40-s-w-need-some-info-40107/)

FaTmAn 03-21-2011 07:42 PM

Bear vs. 40 s&w need some info
 
I am helping a guy who is new to handguns who is a bow hunter. He hunts in a area where there has been alot of black bear sighting's and so now he wants to buy a handgun to take carry with him in the woods easy right .357 mag. At least that's what i told him,well it wasnt that easy he said he does not like the recoil or revolvers. He wants a 40. s&w i told him im not sure if it has enough stopping power on the first hit to put a bear down but im not a bear hunter. I suggested you dont want anything smaller then a 45 cal. So any information or idea's you have please help because i dont want to turn him off from the fun of handgun shooting.

Jpyle 03-21-2011 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FaTmAn (Post 469691)
I am helping a guy who is new to handguns who is a bow hunter. He hunts in a area where there has been alot of black bear sighting's and so now he wants to buy a handgun to take carry with him in the woods easy right .357 mag. At least that's what i told him,well it wasnt that easy he said he does not like the recoil or revolvers. He wants a 40. s&w i told him im not sure if it has enough stopping power on the first hit to put a bear down but im not a bear hunter. I suggested you dont want anything smaller then a 45 cal. So any information or idea's you have please help because i dont want to turn him off from the fun of handgun shooting.

Not an expert but I do not think either round mentioned would stop a bear in one shot. He would need a magnum load at a minimum..

http://www.foggymountain.com/images/...nting-ammo.jpg

http://www.survivaldigest.com/wp-con...lg-288x300.jpg

spittinfire 03-21-2011 07:54 PM

What kind of bear are we talking about? Black bear here in NC could be handled with a hot 357 hard cast but I wouldn't go lighter then 158 and would highly suggest 170 or 180gr bullets. A 44 mag with hard cast 240gr and up should do the job.

Brown bear? Bring a rifle....a BIG one, 45-70 lever gun would be my choice and back it up with nothing smaller then a 44 Mag if you must carry a pistol.

orangello 03-21-2011 07:55 PM

If he chooses to carry a gun not designed for penetrating such a tough hide, please encourage him to carry some poison in his pocket, so the bear dies after chewing on him. :)

Jpyle 03-21-2011 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangello (Post 469700)
If he chooses to carry a gun not designed for penetrating such a tough hide, please encourage him to carry some poison in his pocket, so the bear dies after chewing on him. :)

Speaking of bears chewing on people, I saw a movie with Anthony Hopkins and Alec Baldwin stranded and being hunted by a Grizzly. For some strange reason I was rooting for the bear whenever Baldwin was in the shot...is that so wrong? :rolleyes:

dunerunner 03-21-2011 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jpyle (Post 469712)
For some strange reason I was rooting for the bear whenever Baldwin was in the shot...is that so wrong?

NO!! It is what I did!! :D

To the OP....If he doesn't like the recoil of a .357, he isn't going to like a .40S&W, .44 Mag or .45ACP!

Best to just stay out of Bear Country and hang his bow over the fireplace!

orangello 03-21-2011 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jpyle (Post 469712)
Speaking of bears chewing on people, I saw a movie with Anthony Hopkins and Alec Baldwin stranded and being hunted by a Grizzly. For some strange reason I was rooting for the bear whenever Baldwin was in the shot...is that so wrong? :rolleyes:

Saw that & yes, it is wrong; the only good bear is a dead bear.

dnthmn2004 03-21-2011 08:37 PM

You should really recommend to him a hand cannon or a 12ga.

X-Large Frame (X) - Smith & Wesson

Jpyle 03-21-2011 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangello (Post 469727)
Saw that & yes, it is wrong; the only good bear is a dead bear.

But doesn't the same apply to Baldwins?

orangello 03-21-2011 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jpyle (Post 469730)
But doesn't the same apply to Baldwins?

Nah, they only annoy the public rather than eating the public, close though.


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:31 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.