Bear Defence Arms and Calibers - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Bear Defence Arms and Calibers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2013, 01:28 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 69 Times on 37 Posts

Default Bear defence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwegian View Post
Sniper03,

I have to agree with you that 338 and up must be good for hunting, as it kills faster, which means more humane and secure kill.

But for the purpose of defence within 50m/50yds, the slug may even be better than a bolt action of some of the higher calibers, due to projectile weight(around 1oz). Im not stating, only wondering.
Norwegian... 50m is certainly not classed as defense distance. In Canada, illegally kill a grizzly at 50yds and good luck trying to claim "self defense".
You have an 870 12ga, stick with plain rifled slugs, not sabots, buckshot, or birdshot to "blind them" (really, now- if the bear breaks off the "charge", she would have to be hunted down and killed anyway)If you're in a situation where you may encounter a bear, (recovering game that may be claimed by a bear) get that gun unslung and ready.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:45 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
I know & knew what you posted; I was encouraging you to take your time and enjoy watching the bear die whenever possible and without undue risk to yourself. It was not sarcasm, merely a request for a bit of sadism when dealing with the ursine scum. I mean it when I say that "the only good bear is a dead bear", though I do respect your right to disagree.
Orangello, not sure if this is just a (poor) ongoing joke with you or what, but I would urge you to discontinue.

Do you think only hunting enthusiasts read this forum? Peta, wwf and other anti-hunting groups will be reading your inane writing about "... make the bear suffer.." Grow up and give your quarry the respect it deserves!
Old 05-31-2013, 01:54 AM   #43
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2337 Times on 1258 Posts
Likes Given: 844

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6_5swedeforelk View Post
Orangello, not sure if this is just a (poor) ongoing joke with you or what, but I would urge you to discontinue.

Do you think only hunting enthusiasts read this forum? Peta, wwf and other anti-hunting groups will be reading your inane writing about "... make the bear suffer.." Grow up and give your quarry the respect it deserves!
You need to have been around here a while to understand the joke.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA
orangello Likes This 
Old 05-31-2013, 01:55 AM   #44
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7802 Times on 4229 Posts
Likes Given: 16513

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6_5swedeforelk

Hold on there, partner. This is a firearms forum and almost 100% of the members are defenders of our second amendment rights. And what kind of hypocrites would we be if we did not also defend the first amendment? Carry on, Orangello.

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

orangello Likes This 
Old 05-31-2013, 02:10 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
You need to have been around here a while to understand the joke.
Just that I saw the Canadian curtailment of an effective wolf control program stemming from idle ill-thought chatter.
( I never got the "joke", do you think the anti's will?)

Old 05-31-2013, 02:19 AM   #46
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2337 Times on 1258 Posts
Likes Given: 844

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6_5swedeforelk View Post
Just that I saw the Canadian curtailment of an effective wolf control program stemming from idle ill-thought chatter.
( I never got the "joke", do you think the anti's will?)
Orangello and bears is an ongoing joke that goes back further than I've been around here.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 05-31-2013, 02:29 AM   #47

Oh, in that case disregard my report & query asking if Orangello was "special".

Old 05-31-2013, 05:27 AM   #48

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts

bears hit 50 fps, 35 mph, in full charge. you will be quite lucky if you spot them in time to do more than raise your longam and fire more than one shot, and it will have to be a brain hit if you are to have a reasonable expectation of stopping him. hunting is not like defensive work. when you hit them hunting, all they normally do is run off, and you have much time in which to let them bleed to death, suffocate from lack of lung function, etc.

Old 05-31-2013, 05:38 AM   #49
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 50 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tingstad View Post
For the 20-30 metre range you're going to want to use that 870, I don't know whether or not guides use them but I wouldn't doubt it. If you're using it strictly for bear defence, load it with buckshot-slug-buckshot. Depending on who you are, you might have issues keeping steady when you've got an 800 pound black bear charging you. The initial buckshot will deter it- slow it down, after that you've got it sitting steady you've got a shot with a slug, and if you're a **** shot under pressure like I am, you've got another round of buckshot to save your ass.
How about slug, slug and slug? Im afraid those buckshots dont penetrate and damage a grizzly very much, probably a black, but GRIZZLY?

Old 05-31-2013, 06:34 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwegian View Post
How about slug, slug and slug? Im afraid those buckshots dont penetrate and damage a grizzly very much, probably a black, but GRIZZLY?
By golly-now you've got it, Norwegion!!

And, yes I have been attacked by a bear... from 20 paces, you have exactly 2 seconds to stop him.