Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Bear Defence Arms and Calibers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2013, 08:54 PM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwegian View Post
Hi Jim,

You say that 870's is the main weapon many people wear for bear defence, which is awesome. I love those guns. Rifled og smooth barrel? Or does it really make the big difference? I mean, rifled is more accurate, but within 40m/yds i dont think it will be very important. Is there a difference in power?
In the shotgun, the only time rifling helps accuracy is when you are using slugs designed for rifled barrels (traditionally saboted slugs, slugs inside a plastic cup-type thing). With buckshot or birdshot, it will create a donut pattern with more pellets around the edge and few in the center.

If you look at the Mossberg website, they show their 500 "slugster" model with a rifled barrel with rifle-type sights; it is specifically for slugs designed to take advantage of the rifling. This is popular in states that don't allow rifles for hunting (generally states with smaller hunting areas).

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 03-23-2013 at 08:59 PM.

Old 03-23-2013, 09:06 PM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1844 Times on 1079 Posts
Likes Given: 883

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwegian View Post
Hi Jim,

You say that 870's is the main weapon many people wear for bear defence, which is awesome. I love those guns. Rifled og smooth barrel? Or does it really make the big difference? I mean, rifled is more accurate, but within 40m/yds i dont think it will be very important. Is there a difference in power?
The guns we were issued were the same guns used by the police for patrol which were smooth bore with rifle sights. I don't think I would opt for the rifled bbl because it limits your options as to loads. I would not advise the use of buck shot of any size for bear defense as it suffers from a lack of penetration. I have never shot a bear with buck shot, but I have shot humans with 00 buck and was not impressed.
Hope this helped.
Jim

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Last edited by JimRau; 03-23-2013 at 09:09 PM.

Old 03-23-2013, 10:56 PM   #33
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2068 Times on 1123 Posts
Likes Given: 747

When my father was flying out of Anchorage, the bush pilots told him the best thing to carry was a shotgun. First shell was birdshot followed up by slugs. First blind the bear then slugs to center mass. If you watch any of the programs out of Alaska such as "Alaska State Troopers", you always see them pull out shotguns before they venture out into the brush.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 03-23-2013, 11:35 PM   #34

Liked 135 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I used to sling my Mossberg 500 with a 24" smoothbore barrel and rifle sights loaded with Brenneke rifled slugs -- fine enough set up. However, it was big and I realized I wasn't hunting bear or wolf with this but had it for portable, fast, serious defense when they were attacking me. So, the simple, short, 18-1/2" security barrel (see comparison picture below) and 3" Mag hardened 000 Buckshot was a better choice for me personally in that role.

I still keep slugs around for when I have more options to consider but that's not the way it happens in the brush or on the tundra so it's lotsa the biggest, hardest, fastest factory Buckshot I load to defend myself.

mossberg-500-rifle-sights-security-barrels.jpg  

Last edited by MattShlock; 03-24-2013 at 12:05 AM.

Old 03-24-2013, 01:53 AM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
In the shotgun, the only time rifling helps accuracy is when you are using slugs designed for rifled barrels (traditionally saboted slugs, slugs inside a plastic cup-type thing). With buckshot or birdshot, it will create a donut pattern with more pellets around the edge and few in the center.

If you look at the Mossberg website, they show their 500 "slugster" model with a rifled barrel with rifle-type sights; it is specifically for slugs designed to take advantage of the rifling. This is popular in states that don't allow rifles for hunting (generally states with smaller hunting areas).
Correct you are! In my testing of both rifled shot gun barrels with shot loads and hand gun with shot loads I got this 'donut' pattern effect.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!

Old 03-24-2013, 02:18 AM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1144 Times on 785 Posts
Likes Given: 1152

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
When I lived in AK I carried my 45-70 Guides Rifle with 400 gr Cor-Bon loads as my 'fishing/hiking' gun. That said I did some research on this and found some very interesting info. The most common weapon carried for Bear Defense is the 12 ga shotgun, specifically the 870 Remington. When I worked security on TAPS we carried the 870's with Brenneke Slugs as did most other folks who worked among the bears. BUT I also learned from some Canadians that they would carry the first round up with #6 shot. The reason makes perfect sense. Most of the time a bear gets to close you can 'haze' them with a non-lethal shot which most people us #6. Secondly, if the bear charges you and you can get off just one shot they would point it directly at the nose of the bear at less than 25 yds and fire. The '#6 shot' would blind the bear and cause his sense of smell to be negated thus they could side step the charge and finish of the bear with the Brenneke slugs. We on TAPS were not allowed to use this method because the 'tree huger environmentalists' said they did not want us to 'hurt' the bear and they were apposed to the use of 'lead'!!! So we used 'cracker' rounds and slugs.
Hope this helped.
Jim
I was talking about my BFR in .45-70................
my-45-70.jpg  

When all else fails.

People Like This 
Old 03-24-2013, 03:50 PM   #37
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303tom View Post
It has been my experience that is just about as much trouble to carry a hand gun that big as it is to carry a long gun. When you consider the hit probability and terminal effect gained by the long gun I will opt for the long gun. If I carry a hand gun it would be an alloy 44 Mag.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:29 AM   #38
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1144 Times on 785 Posts
Likes Given: 1152

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
It has been my experience that is just about as much trouble to carry a hand gun that big as it is to carry a long gun. When you consider the hit probability and terminal effect gained by the long gun I will opt for the long gun. If I carry a hand gun it would be an alloy 44 Mag.
Yeah I know, but DAMN...................

When all else fails.

Old 03-25-2013, 05:28 PM   #39
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303tom View Post
[wonders if bears can actually say "oh holy crap']

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:42 PM   #40

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Where I live (BC, Canada) handguns are not allowed unfortunately.

We bring a 12 ga, short barrely pump with slugs for defense / backup, but I use a 9.3 x 62 when I am able to hunt grizzly.

I have taken black bear with .243 at around 80 - 130 yards with one shot kills.

Anyone who has seen any charging bear move, know how much ground they can cover very, very quickly.