Bear Defence Arms and Calibers - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Bear Defence Arms and Calibers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2013, 09:54 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Don't use anything too large; you want to make sure the bear suffers some.

But seriously, bless all of you and your happy bear-killing thoughts.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

kfox75 Likes This 
Old 03-22-2013, 11:20 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 50 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Don't use anything too large; you want to make sure the bear suffers some.

But seriously, bless all of you and your happy bear-killing thoughts.
I wrote: "I have to agree with you that 338 and up must be good for hunting, as it kills faster, which means more humane and secure kill. "

So please read before being sarcastic.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:23 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwegian View Post
I wrote: "I have to agree with you that 338 and up must be good for hunting, as it kills faster, which means more humane and secure kill. "

So please read before being sarcastic.
I know & knew what you posted; I was encouraging you to take your time and enjoy watching the bear die whenever possible and without undue risk to yourself. It was not sarcasm, merely a request for a bit of sadism when dealing with the ursine scum. I mean it when I say that "the only good bear is a dead bear", though I do respect your right to disagree.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

kfox75 Likes This 
Old 03-22-2013, 11:30 PM   #14
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7802 Times on 4229 Posts
Likes Given: 16515

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwegian
What do you think is the smallest caliber to use for such a purpose?
I wouldn't want the minimum to ward off a polar bear. How about a .458 Lott?

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

Old 03-22-2013, 11:50 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3863 Times on 2306 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Wait, actively hunting bears and protection from bears are two separate things. Both call for different techniques and weapon systems. A hiker is not going to carry a rifle, because he is carrying a lot already. A handgun makes more sense. A hunter tracks or ambushes his game, which gives him time to make his shot without worrying about dying. A rifle makes more sense. The question is protection from bears, not hunting bears. When I go on long hikes, I can not imagine also carrying my CZ-550 all over the place. Oh, polar bears are a different matter. The tundra is pretty open and less chance of surprising a bear. Rifles make more sense. Plus, you will need to hunt if survival is called for. The game can sense you out in the open, so handgun might not help. Yet, maybe it is better to walk around the polar bears. The thread cracks me up though. Why are we hating on bears throughout? Did I miss something?

Old 03-23-2013, 12:26 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
I know & knew what you posted; I was encouraging you to take your time and enjoy watching the bear die whenever possible and without undue risk to yourself. It was not sarcasm, merely a request for a bit of sadism when dealing with the ursine scum. I mean it when I say that "the only good bear is a dead bear", though I do respect your right to disagree.
Of course i disagree with you. Bears are beautiful, and deserves their place in nature as any other animal. Though i see value in keeping some populations under control to keep nature balanced.

I Norway there really arent a lot of bears, though we have small but sustainable polar- and brown bear(similar to grizzly) populations. I pray that ill never have to shoot one.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:30 AM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Of course i disagree with you. Bears are beautiful, and deserves their place in nature as any other animal. Though i see value in keeping some populations under control to keep nature balanced.

I Norway there really arent a lot of bears, though we have small but sustainable polar- and brown bear(similar to grizzly) populations. I pray that ill never have to shoot one.
Germany has some small brown bears in the Alps. Never heard of problems with them though.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:45 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
Germany has some small brown bears in the Alps. Never heard of problems with them though.
How is hunting regulated in germany? Can you hunt bear?

In Norway we have to have a special permission. Ecologist work out how many bears can be shot each year, so there is a limit on how many permissions are given.

Old 03-23-2013, 01:09 AM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
How is hunting regulated in germany? Can you hunt bear?

In Norway we have to have a special permission. Ecologist work out how many bears can be shot each year, so there is a limit on how many permissions are given.
Hunting license courses can take a year and is expensive. You need to know biology, conservation, weapon and hunting laws, history, weapon and caliber history, correct caliber for hunting different game, hunting culture, hunting language, diseases and parasites, how to process the animals. The test takes all day. You also have to take a shooting test with pistol, rifle, and shotgun. There are five disciplines with a percent to hit. It involves running targets at 100 meters with the rifle. The shotgun also has a running rabbit and clay shooting. Once again there is a percentage of shots. The shooting test is effing hard! I bet most Leos would fail. There are state and private Reviers. Everything costs and is regulated. Hunting is still for the rich in Germany, I am not rich. You still pay for the meat even if you shoot the animal (oay revier owner)If you own hunting rights on the revier it could cost between 500 to 1000€ a year, but you keep what you shoot. Each revier owner has a harvest plan that must be met. If game from a revier damages land in surrounding community, the revier owner must pay damages. Boar damage a lot of farms. We can not hunt bear.

Old 03-23-2013, 01:20 AM   #20

Liked 258 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I've heard of people using bells and pepper spray as a deterrent.

I've also heard a lot of grizzly bears sh*t bells and their breath smells like pepper spray.

People Like This