Bear Defence Arms and Calibers
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Bear Defence Arms and Calibers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2013, 06:21 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 50 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Default Bear Defence Arms and Calibers

Hi! Im wondering what is suitable for defence against big bears(kodiak, grizzly, polar) bear.

I hear that many people uses 44 mag revolvers, but what i see is that the maximum energy you can get with that caliber, is around 2000 joule(with 340 grains bullets). Is that really enough? I know that these are heavy bullets, but still, is that enough power?

Many people uses big caliber bolt rifles. What do you think is the smallest caliber to use for such a purpose? My biggest caliber is a 30-06, is that big enough? If so, what ammo should i use?

I also have a 870, and think that this would be the ultimate bear-defence gun for me, due the is ruggedness, reliability and the fact that it is easier to operate when the adrenaline is pumping, then bolt rifles. Are the slugs deadly enough? Anyone knows how much energy is produced by a slug? What kinds of slugs would be best? I have only gotten the smooth - standard barrel.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-22-2013, 06:38 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3175 Times on 1831 Posts
Likes Given: 2037

For "defense" I'm assuming you are talking within 20-30 yards or less.

A 12 ga. shotgun with any modern saboted or rifled slug is very potent bear medicine. Here I would also choose 3" magnum shells!

A .30-06 is also potent medicine, but I'd choose the pump shotgun for ease of operation and reload. I wouldn't want to rely on a single round to stop a big bear.

Old 03-22-2013, 06:44 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3863 Times on 2306 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

"what i see is that the maximum energy you can get with that caliber, is around 2000 joule(with 340 grains bullets)."
Ok, In Germany, law resquires a rifle bullet must travel at 2000 jules at 100 meters for large game to include large Russian boar and Red Deer. Germans are very methodical in figuring what is needed take down an animal. Now, a typical .308 is about 160g and carries a force of 2600 joules. I take down large boar with a single shot from a .308. So I recon if you are at a closer range, you can do a lot of damage with a larger grain bullet traveling only 600 juoles slower then a .308. Plus, .44 is a more managable then say a .50 for many. More control, accuracy and less flinching. Quicker if you need a second shot.

Old 03-22-2013, 06:51 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks for answers!

Yes I was thinking about somewhere around 20-30 meters.

So you think the pump is the way to go? Heard that alaskan guides carries 870 loaded with slugs, is that true?

Are there any reports of slugs killing bears?

Is there a big difference between 3" and 3,5" slugs in terms of stopping power and energy produced?

Old 03-22-2013, 06:55 PM   #5
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2741 Times on 1332 Posts
Likes Given: 1393

Norwiegian,

The 44 Mag Hangun or other weapon of that type is only good for last resort backup protection in my opinion. Anyone that goes Grizzly or Kodiak hunting better be thinking of a rifle from around 338 Win. and up calibers. Most people do not believe how big and tuff they actualy are and how much determination they have even after being shot with good placement. So if that was my plan to Grizzly or Kodiak hunt as you stated, Bigger is Better!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

kfox75 Likes This 
Old 03-22-2013, 08:10 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Sniper03,

I have to agree with you that 338 and up must be good for hunting, as it kills faster, which means more humane and secure kill.

But for the purpose of defence within 50m/50yds, the slug may even be better than a bolt action of some of the higher calibers, due to projectile weight(around 1oz). Im not stating, only wondering.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:20 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3863 Times on 2306 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwegian View Post
Sniper03,

I have to agree with you that 338 and up must be good for hunting, as it kills faster, which means more humane and secure kill.

But for the purpose of defence within 50m/50yds, the slug may even be better than a bolt action of some of the higher calibers, due to projectile weight(around 1oz). Im not stating, only wondering.
Try shooting a rifle at extremely close or point blank range. Not easy. A hunting rifle is not made for these circumstances. I have seen hunters get run over by boars before they could get their rifles up. It is easy to get "inside" the weapon perimeter. Bears are just as fast and will surprise you very quickly. A handgun is more appropriate.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:21 PM   #8
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1014 Times on 483 Posts
Likes Given: 127

Well, I will stick with my S&W 44 mag as a "just in case" protection.
dscn0629_resized.jpg

US Naval Aviation AMSC 20 years ( retired) ASW/Aircrew Wings
US Naval Academy (DI) Shooting Instructor (Annapolis) and shooting team member
Alway keep your six covered

Jagermeister Likes This 
Old 03-22-2013, 08:29 PM   #9
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2399 Times on 1296 Posts
Likes Given: 690

The 44 magnum pistol is not reliable for taking down a large bear. You might kill the bear but more than likely it will kill you before it dies. The 454 Casull is minimum in a handgun. I carried either a 12 gauge pump with Brenneke slugs or a marlin 336 in 35 Remington. Usually the pump. The Brenneke slug was specific because of its construction. I carried them in my hand. If a bear attacks you will have little warning and will not have time to unsling a rifle. You need short and fast unless of course you are hunting them. Today my choice would be a hot loaded Marlin in 45-70 or 450 Marlin. A short barreled 12 gauge double would not be out of the question since they are faster for 2 shots than a pump and that is probably all you are going to get. I knew one crazy guide that carried a 10 gauge 30" double. He would jam the gun into the bear and pull both triggers. He said it would roll the bear. Some of the guides were carrying African double rifles. Remember, they have to protect their clients.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:43 PM   #10

Liked 4792 Times on 2680 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

The .44 Mag. is most often carried for Grizz. During an attack your shots will be measured in inches not meters. It is as stated the last resort from a Bear attack. In a Bear attack you will most likely drop your shotgun or rifle during the first charge.
A handgun in a strong holster carried above the waist and in front may provide access during the mauling. Handguns carried low on the side may be difficult to reach when being thrown about like a rag doll.