Bear 1 - Hunter 0; or is that -1... LOL - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Bear 1 - Hunter 0; or is that -1... LOL

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2012, 07:16 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepejeep View Post
Sorry, these guys did nothing wrong.
I think you missed the part of the story where they found the bear tracks and continued to go after the wounded elk, inspite of not having adequate protection against said bear.

Now if there is some story here about the wounded elk that could have lived, or it took months to die if the bear didn't eat it, well then the guy should have shot better. Period. He was a life time bow hunter, so he doesn't get the novice card on the shot.

The were tracking a bleeding Elk and came across fresh bear prints. I think most of us would have at least paused for a moment to reflect on the precious things in life and maybe flip a coin to see if that elk was going to be one of them before recklessly pursing game on bear territory.

JD

Old 09-24-2012, 07:59 PM   #12

Liked 401 Times on 284 Posts
Likes Given: 9

They must have been world class archers to hit a passive elk and not drop it. But have the gall to take an angry hungry bear with it.
I may not believe in evolution but these guys certainly give Darwins ideas props.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:08 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I will just say this, they waited until the NEXT FREAKIN DAY to track down a bleeding elk, in a bear area? WTF? Come on people, the "five second rule" doesn't end outside the kitchen, and it doesn't extend to overnight. Damn bear probably thinks we are all dumasses now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox75 View Post
Unfotunatly, I live in a state that does not allow bear spray, and does not allow hunters to carry a firearm during bow season\ or in archery only WMUs. Yet another reason to leave NY in the rear view mirror.
Better judged by twelve than mauled by one.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

People Like This 
Old 09-24-2012, 08:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello
I will just say this, they waited until the NEXT FREAKIN DAY to track down a bleeding elk, in a bear area? WTF? Come on people, the "five second rule" doesn't end outside the kitchen, and it doesn't extend to overnight. Damn bear probably thinks we are all dumasses now.

Better judged by twelve than mauled by one.
I missed the part where they waited a day *facepalm*
you may not be to far off with the evil bears thing

Though my grandad always had a gun of some sort on him even bow hunting. Wether or not it was "legal"
Old 09-24-2012, 08:14 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I also think that if you were judged harshly by the "twelve", the other inmates might step back a little when you mention that you are "in for" offing a freakin' grizzly bear illegally.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

USEBOTHHANDS Likes This 
Old 09-24-2012, 08:17 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello
I also think that if you were judged harshly by the "twelve", the other inmates might step back a little when you mention that you are "in for" offing a freakin' grizzly bear illegally.
Hahahaha very true. Well said.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:29 PM   #17

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post

then again, the BIGGEST, HAIRIEST MOFO that ever lived is prolly in there witchu, and just might not take to kindly thatchu killed one of his kin. JUST SAYIN!

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

Old 09-25-2012, 05:38 AM   #18

Liked 75 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 291

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
I think you missed the part of the story where they found the bear tracks and continued to go after the wounded elk, inspite of not having adequate protection against said bear.

Now if there is some story here about the wounded elk that could have lived, or it took months to die if the bear didn't eat it, well then the guy should have shot better. Period. He was a life time bow hunter, so he doesn't get the novice card on the shot.

The were tracking a bleeding Elk and came across fresh bear prints. I think most of us would have at least paused for a moment to reflect on the precious things in life and maybe flip a coin to see if that elk was going to be one of them before recklessly pursing game on bear territory.

JD
And maybe they did just that, we don't know because we weren't there. It's very easy to say what we would do sitting here at our computers without knowing all the facts. did they make a mistake? Yup obviously but without actually knowing what was going on in their heads and the exact circumstances it's Monday night quarterbacking to me.

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, but evil is not overcome by fleeing from it"

Jeff Cooper

Old 09-25-2012, 08:50 PM   #19

Liked 2603 Times on 1480 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Peter Pan opinions notwithstanding, if they escaped with only a bite,

I would say they're extremely lucky, inasmuch as the bear

obviously prefers dead elk to live humans...