Bad Venison?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Bad Venison?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2012, 07:17 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 991 Times on 499 Posts
Likes Given: 2547

Default Bad Venison?

This is the first year i've attempted deer steaks. In years past, i've always opted for jerky/snacksticks/burger combos.

So that being said, im no expert what so ever. I field dressed my kill within an hour of shooting it. It was not a gut shot, but I did clip the top of the stomach right at the end of field dressing, washed it out thoroughly with water.

Took the deer to a professional processor, got all my meat packaged, and brought it home, stuck it right in the deep freezer.

Today, I pulled out some leg steaks, let them thaw in the refrigerator for a while, long story short, when I went to open the package and set them up to be marinaded, it just didn't smell right to me.

I have nothing to compare it to - to my knowledge, i've never smelled rotten meat of any kind (except rotten nightcrawlers...those are horrid)

The only thing I can compare the smell to is what your hands smell like after field dressing.

Two things worry me that it might be spoiled:

#1.) When field dressing, I was concerned I may have left too much of the esophagus in...the thought didn't occur to me until after the fact however, so if this was the case, it was too late to do anything about

#2.) I ended up running some lukewarm water in the kitchen sink so to help the steaks thaw faster (they took all damn day!) and I forgot about them for a few hours past the thaw point. The package was still slightly cooler than room temperature, but was by no means cold when I made it back to get it.

I took a picture of the meat. It does not feel "smiley" nor is there any snotty portions that came off the meat.

Perhaps it's a "gamey" scent? I've never smelled a deer steak, raw, to know for sure (tasted it plenty of times though!)

The stuff all over was part of the marinade. After setting here for a while thinking about it, I decide to wash off the marinade and take a picture of the meat as it was...perhaps that's some sort of indication?

As for the smell, it's definitely noticeable. It doesn't reach out and punch you in the face, but it more gently slaps you silly and you take notice like "Whoah!? Is this bad?" Speaking as a guy, its one of those smells that's not necessarily pleasant, but you keep wanting to smell it anyways.

Damn our confounded technology - when will we be able to send smells via the internet?

Anybody got any recommendations?

And if it is spoiled, should it be safe to fry up and give to my dogs?

venison.jpg  

Last edited by PrimePorkchop; 03-11-2012 at 07:25 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-11-2012, 07:21 AM   #2

Liked 69 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I have some Elk meat that smells until its fully cooked. I'd say if you don't leave it out to thaw to long its fine.

That's just me. No sound reasoning or science behind my opinion. I eat anything.

Everybody needs a little Devastation!

Old 03-11-2012, 07:34 AM   #3
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8417 Times on 5028 Posts
Likes Given: 10954

I'll bet it's just the smell of raw venison that you're not used to.

Old 03-11-2012, 07:35 AM   #4

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Looks good to me......wild meat ike that does have a whang to it when raw though

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

Old 03-11-2012, 07:37 AM   #5

okay - another person messaged me and said to cut it open, if it's red inside, it's good.

Well, it's red inside, so im going to try it =)

If you don't hear from me again...well...it's been nice knowin' ya'll =)

Old 03-11-2012, 07:43 AM   #6

Liked 2710 Times on 1768 Posts

I like to marinate venison in Italian dressing, it seems to cut the scent and give the meat excellent flavor. Also use a little olive oil, it keeps it moist after cooking. DON'T overcook it , especially on the grill. Happy eating.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 03-11-2012, 07:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer1
I like to marinate venison in Italian dressing, it seems to cut the scent and give the meat excellent flavor. Also use a little olive oil, it keeps it moist after cooking. DON'T overcook it , especially on the grill. Happy eating.
Yes do not over cook it. I always cook deer and elk till its slightly pink in the middle. Cut it into strips bout 1/8" thick.

Old 03-11-2012, 07:50 AM   #8

well for my first round of venison steaks, I unfortunately don't have any italian dressing and very little olive oil...so im just going with a very basic marinade...salt, pepper, onions, little bit of cayenne pepper & olive oil with a douse of vinegar

But I do appreciate the tip - im going to try that next time!

Last edited by PrimePorkchop; 03-11-2012 at 07:53 AM.

Old 03-11-2012, 07:50 AM   #9

what are your thoughts on smoking it? Thats what I planned on doing ... unless there are some who would advise against it

Old 03-11-2012, 07:52 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimePorkchop
what are your thoughts on smoking it? Thats what I planned on doing ... unless there are some who would advise against it
I like it....mesquite and hickory works best for me