Arkansas Razorbacks

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Arkansas Razorbacks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2010, 06:43 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 15 Times on 6 Posts

Default Arkansas Razorbacks

This tale starts in a magazine. I belong to the North American Hunting Club and one of the features available to members is swap hunts. A swap hunt is a message posted by one member that says he would like to hunt in another state and he will provide a hunt in his state for Deer, Bear, Elk, etc in exchange for a hunt with another member in their state.
I found an ad that said that the member would provide a Feral Razor back hog hunt in Arkansas in exchange for an elk hunt in any state. Well that sounded like fun and I had a deal going that I could get free transportation to Arkansas and free shipping of my boar carcuss back.
How? By the U.S. Army of course. Every year our Colorado Pistol team qualified high enough to be invited to the All Army National Pistol matches, where? In Little Rock, Ark. of course. Heh Heh.
So, we the pistol team, get flown down to Little Rock and get extra weight allowences on the airline (because our guns and ammo are so heavy see?)
So I wrote to the fellow club member and he turned out to a damn nice guy that just loved to hunt. In no time at all we were setting up schedules and times to meet. During the 7 to 10 days that we are shooting at the Nationals we always get at least one day off and sometimes 2 days. So I told him my schedule and he switched his work schedule to coincide.
From there it was simple for him to pick me up at the Army camp and go directly to the field. Oh, I have to tell you one little thing. When we got on the plane the baggage clerk checked our guns to see if they were empty. And there in my pistol box was a Ruger Super Blackhawk in 44 mag. He looked at it and looked questionly at me.
"It is a new super secret weapon the Army is testing. Please don't tell anyone you seen it." I told him. The last thing I wanted was my team captain to find out I was bringing civilian weapons on a military trip. His eyes got big and he shook his head yes several times and hurriedly put the lid down on the case. It was all I could do to keep a straight face. But then I have had a lot of experience doing that.
Back to the hog hunt. My new friend was an excellent guide and we were seeing many big boars. But they were so wild that we could not get close enough for me to use my pistol on them. We were coming up from a creek and were just a about 25 yards away from a hedge row when the pigs came up from their bedding down place and exploded out in 360 directions. A big red and white boar with long tusks, unfortunately for me, decided on 180 degrees on the compass and that heading was already being filled by me. It is unbelievable how fast these big boars can run. From a laying down start too. I couldn't run that fast unless a husband was coming in the driveway.
I did a quick draw that would have made Bill Jordon envious and centered my front sight on his snout. BOOM went the big 44 mag and I could actually see the slug hit and skip off and cut some leaves off the tree above him. I was almost getting ready to holster the SA when I realized the hog was still coming. And getting damn close. I whipped the gun back up in allignment with the boars head and started my very best rendition of rock and roll. All my shots knocked mud and dust from his hide but did nothing to stop him. There was only one thing left to do as the two tusks were close enough to my legs as to make my knees shake.
I jumped. Yeah, jumped straight up in the air, like I was trying for the Olympics high jumping medal. The 350 lb boar went under me as I was clawing for altitude and went over the bank crashing through brush and small trees to the bottom of the creek bed. He whirled around and tried to climb the bank to get at me some more. But the bank kept breaking loose and spilling him down to the bottom. Finally he decided to run down the creek until he could find another way up the bank and then kill me. I ran along side of him, me up on the creek bank and him down in the small creek thundering along splashing water clear up the bank to me. As I ran I was reloading my Ruger. That done I started to shoot at the boar as I ran. I had a good view of his shoulder and ribs so I kept plinking them into that area. I must have reloaded at least three times because my hand came up empty as I dug around my pockets for more ammo. By now the hog was slowing down, and I hoped it was because he was so full of lead that he couldn't carry it all. As I finally slid to a stop all I could hear was the rasping of my lungs and the howls of laughter coming from my new friend. The same friend I used to like, but now was on my list. He was just lucky that I was out of ammo.
After my breath returned to normal and I found just enough energy to climb down the creek bank we went down and check the big boar. He was dead alright and so was I. My Hunting club friend was chuckling and stated that it was the first time he ever heard a Single Action pistol go full automatic in his life. Ho Ho I guess that was funny to him. We brought his tractor up the creek and took the boar back and weighed it on the scale in his barn. 350 lbs not field dressed. I check the pig to see how many times I had hit it because I was begining to think maybe I was a little off my aim. I counted 21 hits, and most of them were skid marks on his head and shoulders. The ones that finally did him in were at the rear of the rib cage and took out the major arteries coming from the heart. First time I ever hunting something that tried to get me first. It looks like I missed him 3 times or maybe I just dropped the rounds trying to load on the run. Not bad for non-Olympic high jumping star.
I stopped in town and bought two big coolers and some dry ice. we split the pig each of us taking half. I deboned the meat to save weight and room and put the dry ice on top and bottom protected by some burlap bags so it wouldn't freezer burn the meat. Then I taped the whole thing up with duct tape. When we checked into the airport the cooler aroused some questions and even had to open it up so they could see I wasn't hiding my ex mother-in law in there.
The team captain didn't ask any questions as to how I managed to get a hog because I think he was afraid that it might lead to a lot of paper work for him. Court Marshalls take a lot of time from an officers day. LOL
Sarge

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-08-2010, 01:47 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm glad you got one! Welcome to Arkansas! I wish you would have gotten a few more...

Old 10-08-2010, 03:58 PM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Cool story I was visualizing what was going on. It sounds like it was a great hunt. Nothing like a good adrinaline rush thats for sure.
Regards F.K.

Thats why they call it hunting and not grocery shopping

Old 10-08-2010, 07:36 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Great story!

A local guy here still gets grief for 1) getting his rifle hung up in a bush or something 2) getting chased back to his truck by Big Mama Hog 3) having to watch her destroy a rather expensive mud tire on his truck, as he stood in the truck bed.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 10-10-2010, 06:33 AM   #5

Default Chewing on tire

This could only happen in Alaska. A place where moose are so common only the tourist stop to take a picture.
We had the usual bad winter and lots of snow. Which of course covers the food that animals like. But life for a moose is not just food. They require a little seasoning too. Like salt for instance. Especially the salt that is spread on the roads and of course is picked up by the cars.
I locked the door of my apartment behind me (maybe a little too soon) and slip-a-ly slid down the icy steps to the parking lot. When I reached the bottom where my Ford Explorer was parked I found a BIG hairy head looking up at me over the top of my car hood. A MOOSE.
I froze.
The moose figured he had won so he went back to his job.
Eating my tire. At first he just licked it happily. But then when the flavor begain to wane he decided to got deeper into his breakfast and took a big bite! That was it. I had just bought those tires new a month ago and was not sure that moose damage counting on the warranty. So what to do? No guns allowed where I work so I was unarmed. HA! not entirely unarmed. I still had my arms. I scooped up some nice well packed snow and laid one right on the top of his beaner. He shook his head as if shaking away a pesky fly. Hum....Go to a bigger caliber seemed the right idea. This snow ball was as big as a soccer ball. And I backed up the stairs so gravity would help add some speed to the projectile. POW! He felt that one. And turned and gave me the most ugly look I have seen since the last time I visited my mother-in-law. Then he walked over to the bottom stair. OH OH! He is cutting me off from all my ammo. Looking around I saw my trash can. Scooping snow from all the bannisters and the floors of the landing I filled the plastic trash can with snow.
And heaving it above my head I threw it with all my might at the monster moose. Perfect shot and it let him know who was the boss of this parking lot. He turned and jogged off. Attempting to keep his pride intact even though he look pretty stupid with a green trash can stuck on his antlers.

Old 10-11-2010, 04:56 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Only in Arkansas, where most of the women south of Little Rock resemble feral hogs and can kick your ass with one hand and gut a deer with the other.

Old 10-12-2010, 05:14 AM   #7

Default Only south of Little Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyWabbit View Post
Only in Arkansas, where most of the women south of Little Rock resemble feral hogs and can kick your ass with one hand and gut a deer with the other.
Bunny, I lived in Missouri for 20 yrs and the rivers that run from the Ozarks through Missouri and then into Arkansas were my hunting playground. We also enjoyed the canoeing down the White river and the Buffalo River. I have a series of stories about our canoe adventure if you want to read them. They don't have anything to do with guns or hunting but were a lot of fun for we who love the outdoors.
Sarge

Old 10-12-2010, 02:26 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I think you need to just start your own thread with all your stories. I am about an hour from Missouri. My mom and her people were from the Atchison, Weston, St. Joseph area.

Old 10-14-2010, 05:26 AM   #9

Other sites have done that. I had one called Sarges Stories and another called Sarge's blog.
If the moderator or who ever runs this site is OK with it, I can fill it up with fun stories and even some scary ones.
I see that you are a red head. I find that I am allergic to red headed women. When ever I get near them I start shaking and sweating. However I have not had any recurrence of those allergies writing you. Perhaps I am over it or you may be one of the nicest red heads in the world.
Sarge

Old 10-14-2010, 03:13 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

LOL. Let's just say that I can have my moments and I can be nice until it's time not to be nice.

For example, a little story of mine....I worked for a church who needed a graphic designer to do wedding, funeral and worship bulletins, a newsletter and various other jobs they had that everyone else was clueless about...which was most everything. However I did find out that the best thing these women were capable of was gossip. They talked about everyone, nobody got a break from being yapped about. They were especially good when the gossip was juicy. I am not particulary fond of people like that, mainly because I know they talk about me when I'm not there. But the habits of a church are to do the same things over and over because that's how it was done for 20 years. I also noticed that these women liked to be particulary bossy, especially when it came to telling me what to do, or in my case, not to do, or what I wasn't allowed to do. It really started getting on my nerves, and working inside a church, even though it was just a job to me, I wondered about the evil things I was thinking I'd like to do to these women. Surely that wasn't going to sit well inside a church and if lightning was going to strike, it would have been in my office. Well one day I'd had just about enough. I didn't tell many of them about my personal life, that would give them too much fuel of things to talk about while I wasn't there. But.......here we go. Wednesday is the first day of turkey season in Kansas. I go every year. So I took the day as a vacation and also took Thursday and Friday off. I didn't tell anyone what I was going to be doing. I think they thought I was spending my days knitting or some weird chit like that. That week was also payday, so I was going to have to go in and get my check. Well, turkey season limits my time. So just to see what would happen, I had been in the woods all morning, got a nice 25lb bird with a 10" beard. Threw him in the back of my truck and was headed home. On the way I stopped by the church to get my check. Now mind you I had full camo, face paint, camo boots and a pocket full of shotgun shells and a little blood on me. Did you know that walking in the front door of a church dressed like that will get you all the respect you could ever want?? If I'd have known that, I'd have done it a long time ago. And can you believe nobody wanted to go out in the parking lot and see a dead turkey??

Then there was this other time I was going over to a boyfriends house after turkey hunting to find his ex-girlfriend sitting in the living room. Did you know that ejecting shotgun shells from a pump gun out on the living room room while dressed in full camo will make people like that leave????

Did I say I was sweet too?