Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Anyone use Reduced recoil loads in 308 for hunting?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2009, 04:15 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Anyone use Reduced recoil loads in 308 for hunting?

I believe that Remington, and Federal offer a "reduced recoil" load in 308, and am curious if anyone has used it to take game?
If so, I would like to hear your .02 regarding it.

Grunt

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-07-2009, 03:35 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

From what I have read they shoot to the same point of aim just with a lighter bullet.
I would think the reduced loads would be great for practice and smaller deer and other game such as coyotes and maybe hogs especially under 200 yards.
You can go the Remington site and use their ballistic calculator to see the differences in energy. I wonder id the reduced loads would be close to a 243??

montveil in the NC mountains
Salute
All persons present in uniform should render the military salute. Members of the armed forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute. All other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, or if applicable, remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:20 PM   #3

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Thanks for the info. I plan on taking a fellow soldier that was wounded in Iraq hunting soon, but due to his wounds, and what his doctors say, a full house 308 may be a little to much for him at this time. Since he is fond of the M14/M1A, and specifically wants to hunt with it, I am looking for a load that will have less felt recoil, but still have decent terminal effects on game out to 200yds.
Up until now, I have not paid much attention to reduced loadings in any caliber, but this is worth the effort to look into and see if I can find a solution.

Grunt

Old 04-11-2009, 12:51 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

another site with ballistics
RifleShooter Ballistics Charts & Tables

Salute
All persons present in uniform should render the military salute. Members of the armed forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute. All other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, or if applicable, remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart.

Old 04-11-2009, 12:54 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

a better site for recoil info
Rifle Recoil Table

Salute