Anyone ever had any experience trapping before? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum >

Anyone ever had any experience trapping before?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2012, 11:22 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireguy
I used to trap coyotes and raccoons. My friend did the water animals, beaver and muskrats. Usually it is a leg hold trap on land and a body trap like the conibear for water. Basics for both are to find where they are, where they travel, and set your traps without leaving much of your scent and sign.

Look up the regs for your location and contact a wildlife management officer for some ideas, they are usually eager to assist.
I used victor traps they were a tad stronger than say a coinbear of same size like a good ol #7

Old 01-13-2012, 03:39 AM   #12

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muliemaster View Post
I used victor traps they were a tad stronger than say a coinbear of same size like a good ol #7
I only messed with the conibears when I was with my friend. I always used #2 double spring leg hold traps. Staked them to steel posts driven into the ground. I used coyote urine to draw them to the traps. Sometimes it would bring a nosy raccoon too close and I would get them too.

Old 01-13-2012, 03:52 AM   #13

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireguy

I only messed with the conibears when I was with my friend. I always used #2 double spring leg hold traps. Staked them to steel posts driven into the ground. I used coyote urine to draw them to the traps. Sometimes it would bring a nosy raccoon too close and I would get them too.
I would only use the victor leg holds, for fox an coyote I would dig down just enough to cover trap it was placed in a group of yuccas about the middle to prevent them from gettin the chicken I used behind the trap for bait. The worst was the damn skunks, or when u came up on a trap that had a huge circle dug around it an a pissed off badger dug into the yuccas. Oh the good ol days huh. But the conibear traps were good quality tho

Old 01-13-2012, 05:31 AM   #14

Liked 327 Times on 218 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Conibears of 330 size here (IN) have to be under water.
Buddy had beavers ringing some $$$$ trees on his place, DNR came out, saw the damage and told us to have at 'em (nuisance- out of season).
We just shot them. Still a few around, but numbers way down, and they never built the dam back after the next door farmer blew it up.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:09 AM   #15
The Stanley Cup winners......the Blackhawks
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 8920 Times on 5336 Posts
Likes Given: 11921

I thought leg hold traps were illegal. I guess not, huh?

Old 01-13-2012, 06:15 AM   #16

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change
I thought leg hold traps were illegal. I guess not, huh?
No they arent. The ones with actual teeth are for most uses though

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

Old 03-07-2012, 02:26 AM   #17

Liked 87 Times on 67 Posts

Make a small break in their dam, set a trap there or stake it out. They'll here the water leaking out and will come to stop it within an hour