Anyone ever had any experience trapping before?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Anyone ever had any experience trapping before?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2012, 08:35 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
HotFudge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chapmanville,West Virginia
Posts: 276
Liked 58 Times on 32 Posts

Default Anyone ever had any experience trapping before?

My brother works does environmental work (water testing and s***) for a mine company, and he says beavers are a big pain in the ass up there, damming runoff creeks and crap. I was wondering how hard it would be to set a couple traps in season and maybe bag a couple and sell their pelts.

__________________
HotFudge is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 01-04-2012, 01:59 PM   #2
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
winds-of-change's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 23,017
Liked 7181 Times on 4322 Posts
Likes Given: 8766

Default

I would find out what the laws are, first.

__________________
Honor Student: School of Hard Knocks
To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritatus
winds-of-change is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:20 PM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
hiwall's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cleator,AZ
Posts: 3,325
Liked 723 Times on 466 Posts
Likes Given: 232

Default

You would have to check the laws in your state. Some areas may be closed to trapping or trapping certain animals. Might be risky if you don't know what you are doing and and kill an animal that might not be legal in your state (say maybe an otter). Many states require a trapping license and a small game license. Conibear traps are around $25 each. I found trapping enjoyable when I did it in the frozen northland(Minnesota).

__________________

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

hiwall is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:24 PM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: fordland,missouri
Posts: 11,099
Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall
You would have to check the laws in your state. Some areas may be closed to trapping or trapping certain animals. Might be risky if you don't know what you are doing and and kill an animal that might not be legal in your state (say maybe an otter). Many states require a trapping license and a small game license. Conibear traps are around $25 each. I found trapping enjoyable when I did it in the frozen northland(Minnesota).
Its a great way to learn about animals and their habits. I would look into the laws and such first though. As to trapping beavers-he better be prepared to get very wet and cold.

God didnt make all men equal colonel sam colt did
__________________
Marlinman is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:03 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
303tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Missouri
Posts: 3,680
Liked 1223 Times on 832 Posts
Likes Given: 1243

Default

They are not that hard to trap, used to trap a lot when I was younger.....

__________________

When all else fails.

303tom is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:29 PM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: fordland,missouri
Posts: 11,099
Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303tom
They are not that hard to trap, used to trap a lot when I was younger.....
No they arent hard to get. They are dang sure alot easier to catch than say....yotes. but the catcher will get very wet and cold if they are running the traps wo a boat.

God didnt make all men equal colonel sam colt did
__________________
Marlinman is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:47 PM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
fireguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Wichita,Kansas
Posts: 1,853
Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Default

I used to trap coyotes and raccoons. My friend did the water animals, beaver and muskrats. Usually it is a leg hold trap on land and a body trap like the conibear for water. Basics for both are to find where they are, where they travel, and set your traps without leaving much of your scent and sign.

Look up the regs for your location and contact a wildlife management officer for some ideas, they are usually eager to assist.

__________________

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

fireguy is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 02:43 AM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Rex in OTZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NW AK
Posts: 846
Liked 79 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Learn from a Pro.

The most economical (time and money) method is to seek out instruction from the guys that do it for a living, to fast track learning effective trapping teniques that produce results in your area is to attend a trapping clinic hosted by your States DNR and Trappers association.
This way you know and understand the general rules of what you need to do with a minimum of mistakes and wasted money on products and methods that are unsuitable in your area.
I'd suggest contacting your states Fur Trappers Association and find out when the next trapping clinic in your area or a area near you or even a adjoining state.
they will be showing you diffrent ways and whats the easiest or most effective in your particular area,effective beaver trapping methods differ from region to region for example trapping in Arkansasand Missouri is diffrent than Trapping in Upstate New York, and both diffrent than what is taught in Alaska.
West Virginia Trappers Association

West Virginia Trappers - Education

Beaver Trapping Tips - How to Trap a Beaver
http://teora.hit.no/dspace/bitstream/2282/326/1/Faunanorvegica2.pdf

__________________

Last edited by Rex in OTZ; 01-05-2012 at 02:46 AM.
Rex in OTZ is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 02:51 AM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: fordland,missouri
Posts: 11,099
Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex in OTZ
The most economical (time and money) method is to seek out instruction from the guys that do it for a living, to fast track learning effective trapping teniques that produce results in your area is to attend a trapping clinic hosted by your States DNR and Trappers association.
This way you know and understand the general rules of what you need to do with a minimum of mistakes and wasted money on products and methods that are unsuitable in your area.
I'd suggest contacting your states Fur Trappers Association and find out when the next trapping clinic in your area or a area near you or even a adjoining state.
they will be showing you diffrent ways and whats the easiest or most effective in your particular area,effective beaver trapping methods differ from region to region for example trapping in Arkansasand Missouri is diffrent than Trapping in Upstate New York, and both diffrent than what is taught in Alaska.
West Virginia Trappers Association

West Virginia Trappers - Education

Beaver Trapping Tips - How to Trap a Beaver
http://teora.hit.no/dspace/bitstream/2282/326/1/Faunanorvegica2.pdf
Great advice. Also know that what works in one area prob wont be the same say 10 milrs away. Its always something a little different in every local and set.

God didnt make all men equal colonel sam colt did
__________________
Marlinman is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:33 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
oletrapper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Butler,KY
Posts: 62
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Nuisance permits.

If the beavers are causing problems with the mine operations, the owner of the mine should be able to acquire nuisance permits to get them out of there. The local game warden should be able to assist in that. In season or out of season. Fur is basically worthless however if it is not prime. (winter pelt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotFudge View Post
My brother works does environmental work (water testing and s***) for a mine company, and he says beavers are a big pain in the ass up there, damming runoff creeks and crap. I was wondering how hard it would be to set a couple traps in season and maybe bag a couple and sell their pelts.
__________________

Fish, Hunt, Trap and then start all over again.
Life Member NRA, LKS, NWF, UTK, KFA
Annual Sponsor, DU QU, NWTF

oletrapper is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone Have AMT Experience? Viking General Handgun Discussion 21 06-10-2013 02:42 AM
Looking to buy my first AK what do you have experience with CAMCHAMPION1988 AK & SKS Discussion 13 10-26-2011 06:33 PM
Help Me Help My Dad! (Experience Welcome!) diggsbakes General Handgun Discussion 11 09-23-2010 03:03 AM
Very bad first experience with my AR - Need some help cyberpunk AR-15 Discussion 19 07-26-2009 01:07 AM
Quite an experience. Ruger Redhawk The Club House 8 05-31-2008 02:40 AM