Anyone ever had any experience trapping before?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Anyone ever had any experience trapping before?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2012, 08:35 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 58 Times on 32 Posts

Default Anyone ever had any experience trapping before?

My brother works does environmental work (water testing and s***) for a mine company, and he says beavers are a big pain in the ass up there, damming runoff creeks and crap. I was wondering how hard it would be to set a couple traps in season and maybe bag a couple and sell their pelts.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-04-2012, 01:59 PM   #2
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7181 Times on 4322 Posts
Likes Given: 8766

I would find out what the laws are, first.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:20 PM   #3

Liked 723 Times on 466 Posts
Likes Given: 232

You would have to check the laws in your state. Some areas may be closed to trapping or trapping certain animals. Might be risky if you don't know what you are doing and and kill an animal that might not be legal in your state (say maybe an otter). Many states require a trapping license and a small game license. Conibear traps are around $25 each. I found trapping enjoyable when I did it in the frozen northland(Minnesota).

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:24 PM   #4

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall
You would have to check the laws in your state. Some areas may be closed to trapping or trapping certain animals. Might be risky if you don't know what you are doing and and kill an animal that might not be legal in your state (say maybe an otter). Many states require a trapping license and a small game license. Conibear traps are around $25 each. I found trapping enjoyable when I did it in the frozen northland(Minnesota).
Its a great way to learn about animals and their habits. I would look into the laws and such first though. As to trapping beavers-he better be prepared to get very wet and cold.

God didnt make all men equal colonel sam colt did

Old 01-04-2012, 05:03 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1223 Times on 832 Posts
Likes Given: 1243

They are not that hard to trap, used to trap a lot when I was younger.....

When all else fails.

Old 01-04-2012, 05:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303tom
They are not that hard to trap, used to trap a lot when I was younger.....
No they arent hard to get. They are dang sure alot easier to catch than say....yotes. but the catcher will get very wet and cold if they are running the traps wo a boat.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:47 PM   #7

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I used to trap coyotes and raccoons. My friend did the water animals, beaver and muskrats. Usually it is a leg hold trap on land and a body trap like the conibear for water. Basics for both are to find where they are, where they travel, and set your traps without leaving much of your scent and sign.

Look up the regs for your location and contact a wildlife management officer for some ideas, they are usually eager to assist.

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Old 01-05-2012, 02:43 AM   #8

Liked 79 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Learn from a Pro.

The most economical (time and money) method is to seek out instruction from the guys that do it for a living, to fast track learning effective trapping teniques that produce results in your area is to attend a trapping clinic hosted by your States DNR and Trappers association.
This way you know and understand the general rules of what you need to do with a minimum of mistakes and wasted money on products and methods that are unsuitable in your area.
I'd suggest contacting your states Fur Trappers Association and find out when the next trapping clinic in your area or a area near you or even a adjoining state.
they will be showing you diffrent ways and whats the easiest or most effective in your particular area,effective beaver trapping methods differ from region to region for example trapping in Arkansasand Missouri is diffrent than Trapping in Upstate New York, and both diffrent than what is taught in Alaska.
West Virginia Trappers Association

West Virginia Trappers - Education

Beaver Trapping Tips - How to Trap a Beaver
http://teora.hit.no/dspace/bitstream/2282/326/1/Faunanorvegica2.pdf

Last edited by Rex in OTZ; 01-05-2012 at 02:46 AM.

Old 01-05-2012, 02:51 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex in OTZ
The most economical (time and money) method is to seek out instruction from the guys that do it for a living, to fast track learning effective trapping teniques that produce results in your area is to attend a trapping clinic hosted by your States DNR and Trappers association.
This way you know and understand the general rules of what you need to do with a minimum of mistakes and wasted money on products and methods that are unsuitable in your area.
I'd suggest contacting your states Fur Trappers Association and find out when the next trapping clinic in your area or a area near you or even a adjoining state.
they will be showing you diffrent ways and whats the easiest or most effective in your particular area,effective beaver trapping methods differ from region to region for example trapping in Arkansasand Missouri is diffrent than Trapping in Upstate New York, and both diffrent than what is taught in Alaska.
West Virginia Trappers Association

West Virginia Trappers - Education

Beaver Trapping Tips - How to Trap a Beaver
http://teora.hit.no/dspace/bitstream/2282/326/1/Faunanorvegica2.pdf
Great advice. Also know that what works in one area prob wont be the same say 10 milrs away. Its always something a little different in every local and set.

Old 01-12-2012, 09:33 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Nuisance permits.

If the beavers are causing problems with the mine operations, the owner of the mine should be able to acquire nuisance permits to get them out of there. The local game warden should be able to assist in that. In season or out of season. Fur is basically worthless however if it is not prime. (winter pelt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotFudge View Post
My brother works does environmental work (water testing and s***) for a mine company, and he says beavers are a big pain in the ass up there, damming runoff creeks and crap. I was wondering how hard it would be to set a couple traps in season and maybe bag a couple and sell their pelts.

Fish, Hunt, Trap and then start all over again.
Life Member NRA, LKS, NWF, UTK, KFA
Annual Sponsor, DU QU, NWTF