Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Hunting Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   Anyone ever had any experience trapping before? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/anyone-ever-had-any-experience-trapping-before-54747/)

HotFudge 01-04-2012 09:35 AM

Anyone ever had any experience trapping before?

My brother works does environmental work (water testing and s***) for a mine company, and he says beavers are a big pain in the ass up there, damming runoff creeks and crap. I was wondering how hard it would be to set a couple traps in season and maybe bag a couple and sell their pelts.

winds-of-change 01-04-2012 02:59 PM

I would find out what the laws are, first.

hiwall 01-04-2012 03:20 PM

You would have to check the laws in your state. Some areas may be closed to trapping or trapping certain animals. Might be risky if you don't know what you are doing and and kill an animal that might not be legal in your state (say maybe an otter). Many states require a trapping license and a small game license. Conibear traps are around $25 each. I found trapping enjoyable when I did it in the frozen northland(Minnesota).

Marlinman 01-04-2012 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hiwall
You would have to check the laws in your state. Some areas may be closed to trapping or trapping certain animals. Might be risky if you don't know what you are doing and and kill an animal that might not be legal in your state (say maybe an otter). Many states require a trapping license and a small game license. Conibear traps are around $25 each. I found trapping enjoyable when I did it in the frozen northland(Minnesota).

Its a great way to learn about animals and their habits. I would look into the laws and such first though. As to trapping beavers-he better be prepared to get very wet and cold.

God didnt make all men equal colonel sam colt did

303tom 01-04-2012 06:03 PM

They are not that hard to trap, used to trap a lot when I was younger.....

Marlinman 01-04-2012 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 303tom
They are not that hard to trap, used to trap a lot when I was younger.....

No they arent hard to get. They are dang sure alot easier to catch than say....yotes. but the catcher will get very wet and cold if they are running the traps wo a boat.

fireguy 01-04-2012 09:47 PM

I used to trap coyotes and raccoons. My friend did the water animals, beaver and muskrats. Usually it is a leg hold trap on land and a body trap like the conibear for water. Basics for both are to find where they are, where they travel, and set your traps without leaving much of your scent and sign.

Look up the regs for your location and contact a wildlife management officer for some ideas, they are usually eager to assist.

Rex in OTZ 01-05-2012 03:43 AM

Learn from a Pro.

The most economical (time and money) method is to seek out instruction from the guys that do it for a living, to fast track learning effective trapping teniques that produce results in your area is to attend a trapping clinic hosted by your States DNR and Trappers association.
This way you know and understand the general rules of what you need to do with a minimum of mistakes and wasted money on products and methods that are unsuitable in your area.
I'd suggest contacting your states Fur Trappers Association and find out when the next trapping clinic in your area or a area near you or even a adjoining state.
they will be showing you diffrent ways and whats the easiest or most effective in your particular area,effective beaver trapping methods differ from region to region for example trapping in Arkansasand Missouri is diffrent than Trapping in Upstate New York, and both diffrent than what is taught in Alaska.
West Virginia Trappers Association

West Virginia Trappers - Education

Beaver Trapping Tips - How to Trap a Beaver
http://teora.hit.no/dspace/bitstream/2282/326/1/Faunanorvegica2.pdf

Marlinman 01-05-2012 03:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rex in OTZ
The most economical (time and money) method is to seek out instruction from the guys that do it for a living, to fast track learning effective trapping teniques that produce results in your area is to attend a trapping clinic hosted by your States DNR and Trappers association.
This way you know and understand the general rules of what you need to do with a minimum of mistakes and wasted money on products and methods that are unsuitable in your area.
I'd suggest contacting your states Fur Trappers Association and find out when the next trapping clinic in your area or a area near you or even a adjoining state.
they will be showing you diffrent ways and whats the easiest or most effective in your particular area,effective beaver trapping methods differ from region to region for example trapping in Arkansasand Missouri is diffrent than Trapping in Upstate New York, and both diffrent than what is taught in Alaska.
West Virginia Trappers Association

West Virginia Trappers - Education

Beaver Trapping Tips - How to Trap a Beaver
http://teora.hit.no/dspace/bitstream/2282/326/1/Faunanorvegica2.pdf

Great advice. Also know that what works in one area prob wont be the same say 10 milrs away. Its always something a little different in every local and set.

oletrapper 01-12-2012 10:33 PM

Nuisance permits.

If the beavers are causing problems with the mine operations, the owner of the mine should be able to acquire nuisance permits to get them out of there. The local game warden should be able to assist in that. In season or out of season. Fur is basically worthless however if it is not prime. (winter pelt)
Quote:

Originally Posted by HotFudge (Post 667055)
My brother works does environmental work (water testing and s***) for a mine company, and he says beavers are a big pain in the ass up there, damming runoff creeks and crap. I was wondering how hard it would be to set a couple traps in season and maybe bag a couple and sell their pelts.