Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Any Missouri coyote hunters?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2010, 12:17 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Any Missouri coyote hunters?

I have some family land that seems to be overrun with coyotes, I have been out on a few hunts to try and take some but I cannot for the life of me call them in.
Any tips on getting them interested.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-09-2010, 12:48 AM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've heard that if you stake out a kitten, they will come to that in a big way. I don't know from personal experience, but I did some research for my daughter who has a predator eating her goats. Whatever it is has taken 27 goats and two Missouri of Conservation traps ruined.

Old 01-09-2010, 09:37 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

You have got to beat there nose or you wont see any from what I've been told..
I have done alot of research recently and have taken this week off to go out and try to bag a few around here.

Best thing I have been told is a beaver carcass, you wanna drag it down a trail by snowmobile or atv so you dont leave your scent on the ground then sit up wind and wait. If you have more than one then leave a bait pile also. up here guys are using deer scraps or even scraps from the local slaughter house and making a bait pile.

I am gonna try a blind also, maybe if it helps keep some scent in and they dont see me it will work better but I dont know

Old 01-09-2010, 10:44 PM   #4

Liked 57 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
I've heard that if you stake out a kitten, they will come to that in a big way. I don't know from personal experience, but I did some research for my daughter who has a predator eating her goats. Whatever it is has taken 27 goats and two Missouri of Conservation traps ruined.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:14 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I don't know if scent is an issue, I wash all my hunting clothes in scent away and dead down wind quite often and spray myself constantly when im out. I went out today to do some scouting and see where they were at most on the property and nailed some old backstraps to a tree, only time will tell.

Also my buddies have used something called a raspy coaxer that they will all swear by, never tried it but might have to look into it.

What type of rifle are you going to use?

Old 01-10-2010, 02:47 AM   #6

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I use a AR15 and coaxers to call my yotes in.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 01-10-2010, 02:51 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

+1 on that Bear,, I aint wastin an 06 round on them bastids

Old 01-21-2010, 06:47 AM   #8

+1 on that Bear,,

Old 02-13-2010, 01:30 AM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddn View Post
I have some family land that seems to be overrun with coyotes, I have been out on a few hunts to try and take some but I cannot for the life of me call them in.
Any tips on getting them interested.
Where in Missouri is your land? I live in Alabama but own some land in Southeast Missouri. I grew up in Missouri but have only been able to live in Missouri for three years since graduating from college and that was in 1968.

I am trying to sell my land so I can buy some down here. I love to hunt and my land has a good population of large (10 and 12 point bucks) deer but it is just too far away for me to use and control.

(Luke 11:21 KJV) When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

(Luke 22:36 KJV) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

Old 02-13-2010, 02:29 AM   #10

i am no authority on yotes but i have called one in and shot it . since then i have had no sucess . a good friend of mine finds a road kill deer and stakes it to the ground .then sits and watches till the yotes get a smell of the rotting meat . then you cant keep em' away .