Any Coyote Hunters Here? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Any Coyote Hunters Here?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2009, 08:50 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Default caliber

I live in connecticut, so I would use a .243 caliber. It is good for coyotes and is also the minimum deer caliber, making it much more versatile. for sergeantdeath, if you use a .22 mag and have a well placed shot, it would be sufficient. If you're using .22 lr, you'd have to be close, but I guess you could get it done. I personally have never hunted coyote, but I would recommend a .22 mag or a .223 personally, but if you're budget is tight, a .22 lr will get it done at close ranges.

Old 01-13-2009, 04:46 AM   #22

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

My father-in-law and I hunt the yotes on his farm cause they like the taste of chicken. I went on Saturday and took my AR-15A2 with 5.56 mm 55 grain FMJs, and a friend of mine went with us and took his .243 and my father-in-law took his Remington 870.

We also use an electronic caller and a spot light, since we usually go at night. We also sometimes leave a deer carcus in the field or a bunch of dead chickens. Hunting over a gut pile insures success.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 01-13-2009, 04:50 AM   #23

Sorry to hear bout' your daughter Plumber, I do some work for some people with a handicapped boy and my heart really goes out to people who have children with special needs. Makes me count my blessings it takes alot of work and love to do what you do, My hat is off to ya' buddy.

Went yote hunting last Thursday morning after working a 16 hr shift and ended up getting in the field later than planned. So just took the 22 Mag and ended up squirrel huntin' with my buddy who had Thursday off. We ventured farther into my deer hunting area than I would have liked given this Friday-Sat *& Sun is last shotgun season in Illinois until Thanksgiving time. It was squirrel Mecca! My buddy and I commensed to layin into the little tree rats and we have a rule squirrel hunting that only headshots count. I usually have the advantage since I have a semi auto and a very nice bushnell scope to his bolt action and OK, but nothin special scope. However after shooting a full 7 round magazine at one squirrel and still not being able to tell where my rounds were hitting I realized my scope (which I shoot nail heads with for past two years in barn plinkin') had somehow managed to decide to be off when I needed it! My buddy quickly limited out and I found an old gas can near the field line and shot a few rounds to my horror I was shooting a good four inches directly right! I tried a few field adjustments but since I was shooting the 22 mag only managed to mangle the squirrel I shot and we headed home dissapointed! Well, I was dissapointed anyhow.

After this weekend and hopefully a nice bag of deer guts and parts left over I will be hitting the yotes hard. I got my redfield scope mounted on my 30/30 and put the scope on the SKS.... now I have to zero a 22Mag, 30/30 and a SKS before going after ole' Wiley! Been just plum to cold around here to get my old bones out there... trying to save myself for Friday mornings chilly negative temps they are calling for... I really need a heated deer blind!

Old 01-13-2009, 04:54 AM   #24

[QUOTE=dragunovsks;62076]My father-in-law and I hunt the yotes on his farm cause they like the taste of chicken. I went on Saturday and took my AR-15A2 with 5.56 mm 55 grain FMJs, and a friend of mine went with us and took his .243 and my father-in-law took his Remington 870.

I have an 870 magnum that I took a few times and never got em in close enough... in Illinois you can only shoot coyotes with slugs if it is during deer season and you have an unfilled deer permit... crazy Illinois laws! I took 00 buckshot the times I took mine, never got a chance to use it! I have always wanted to blast into a group of em' around my bait pile with the shotgun though and may have to give it a whirl again in a couple weeks!

Old 01-13-2009, 07:42 PM   #25

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

[QUOTE=Cross Hair;62081]

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunovsks View Post
My father-in-law and I hunt the yotes on his farm cause they like the taste of chicken. I went on Saturday and took my AR-15A2 with 5.56 mm 55 grain FMJs, and a friend of mine went with us and took his .243 and my father-in-law took his Remington 870.

I have an 870 magnum that I took a few times and never got em in close enough... in Illinois you can only shoot coyotes with slugs if it is during deer season and you have an unfilled deer permit... crazy Illinois laws! I took 00 buckshot the times I took mine, never got a chance to use it! I have always wanted to blast into a group of em' around my bait pile with the shotgun though and may have to give it a whirl again in a couple weeks!
My father-in-law killed one at 140 yards two years ago with his 870 Wingmaster, he had just bought a rifled barrel for it and the yote was the first kill for that barrel.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 01-17-2009, 09:23 PM   #26

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

I have done a little. None latley though.

But Tax time is right around teh corner. Well What better to do with my refund that purchas a Fox Pro Fury. You know your a varmint hunter when you spend $600 on a digital call and $600 on a rifle as well.

Old 02-02-2009, 12:45 AM   #27

Default Winter games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cross Hair View Post
Been avid coyote hunter for years... mostly since they are so thick and such nuisances round these parts. Plus year round sport is always good. Fills the void between all other seasons for me and any excuse to get out in the field and smell gunpowder is a good enough reason!

What works for you and what kind of gear do you use?
"Whack a yote" is my favorite winter game! I've liked the challange of the .22LR and used it effectively out to about 80 yards. But it is a head shot only game. Any other place seems to make me have to go looking for wounded Coyotes. Call em in close and the only worries are getting your cover blown before you get the shot. My son (19 at the time) shot one at 40 yrds after I yelped to stop her. DRT! (Dead Right There). And I hit a Fox out at 120yrds, but it took me 8 shots to work it in with iron sights. The fox was mousing and did not even hear the shots. Hit him in the butt and had to finish him off closer. So not realy the best gun. But still fun! and Ammo is/was cheap!
My ruger #1 in .22-250 with 50 Grn. Hornady V-max is my yote gun of choice. Also 2 years ago I started using the 12 guage with 00 and #4 buck for the close range quick shots! Very Effective!

Accuracy first! You can't miss fast enough to win! :D :)

Old 02-02-2009, 05:28 AM   #28

I hunt them every now and then and usually have fair success. I use a Rock River AR in 223 with 52 gr hp. I also use a Fox Pro scorpion e-caller. It is alot of fun and the action can get quite fast and furious from time to time.

Old 02-14-2009, 10:53 AM   #29

Default Calling coyotes is the ####

Been calling since I was lucky enough to get drug along at age 13 by one of the best. As for a gun everyone has their own opinion but for me it is my 22-250. It just whacks them. I currently am shooting a custom rifle on a Ruger action with Shilen select match barrel, jewel trigger topped off with Leupold 4.5x14x40 scope. The gun will take care of business on a coyote as far as the shooters abilities will allow.

Old 02-14-2009, 06:02 PM   #30

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I asked on several other forums if a 22 MAG would take down large eastern coyotes > 35 pounds.
There was a resounding opinion that a 22 Mag would be marginal at best and than ONLY with a well place shot UNDER 50 yards.
That means with in 50 yards a 12 gauge shotgun full choked with # 4 buckshot would be the preferred choice.
All considered a 22 lr completely inadequate for a humain kill. They all suggested head shots are difficult to hit the small brain and there may be ricochets off their skull due to loose skin and a thick skull

montveil in the NC mountains
Salute
All persons present in uniform should render the military salute. Members of the armed forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute. All other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, or if applicable, remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart.