Any Coyote Hunters Here?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Any Coyote Hunters Here?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2009, 05:44 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Any Coyote Hunters Here?

Been avid coyote hunter for years... mostly since they are so thick and such nuisances round these parts. Plus year round sport is always good. Fills the void between all other seasons for me and any excuse to get out in the field and smell gunpowder is a good enough reason!

What works for you and what kind of gear do you use?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-07-2009, 06:30 AM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

not yet but i plan to try this year. im just trying to find someone with an unbiased opinion about the .22 lr and yotes. i know its strong enough its just at ho far of distances it would be effective. also i dont have the money to invest in a e-call, all i have is a few mouth calls. if your looking for tips or have ?s i know theres a few people on rimfirecentral.com

Wars begin where u will
But they do not end where you please-Machiavelli

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- Dr. Johnson

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.." - Samuel Adams

your my best friend but if the zombies start chasing us im tripping you

Old 01-07-2009, 07:59 AM   #3

You will love it once you get into it. It is a challenge hunting the hunter thing. I don't use e-calls, would like to but bought a cheapy setup and believe me, you get what you pay for. I use howler to locate em' and squeaker to lure em in range. Mouth calls are tricky, I practiced on my commute to and from work to get it right.

As far as the .22LR goes I would recommend something with a little more stopping power, however... a well placed shot can bring down a yote. I used and still use from time to time a .22Mag with a bushnell scope, its got more ummmmppphhh than the LR. Still, I have had several get away from what I knew were well placed shots...

Around here they are nuisances to cattle and our barn cats. I dont hunt them for the pelt, so I use a norinco SKS with a scope in the daytime,, or if hunting across large field I have a 30/30 with a nice redfield scope on it that really reaches out to them. NIght hunts I use my trusty romanian SKS with open sights. Thats what I use... because out of my 11 various rifle and shotgun combos thats what works best for me.

There are many varities of good yote setups, but its what works under the conditions you are hunting in that counts! You gotta start somewhere. I would work on getting them in, spotting them, spotting signs that they are in the area, work on your call techniques and have plenty of patience.

This being said, IMHO a .22LR would not be my choice for a coyote gun. I also feel that even though they can kill a coyote there is a high probability especially on long shots of just wounding or maiming the animal to which it will probably suffer a painful death. But thats just my .02 cents worth.

Keep me posted on your hunts. I am going out Thursday morning after I get through working an overnight to see what I can spook up, been baiting for past few days... keeping my fingers crossed!

Good luck to ya' and practice those mouth calls and I would recommend a sqeaker call, easy to learn and you can even use them under foot with some practice freeing up your shootin hands!

Old 01-07-2009, 08:14 AM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

im just too broke to go buy a .223 right now, plus im not sure how big the population is in nw ohio. i havent seen any around here but then again i havnt really tried to find any. but i have thought about selling my tactical shotty to help raise funds, just not sure if i really want to.

Wars begin where u will

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- Dr. Johnson

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.." - Samuel Adams

Old 01-07-2009, 08:41 AM   #5

I'm not building up the SKS for coyote hunting just because its what I use by any means, but I have the financial thing working against me too! I would love to get a mean AR with a 20" barrel to reach out to them, but with wife and kids I gotta go with what I got! SK's are usually very affordable, accurate and pretty cheap to shoot. Check local laws on magazine restrictions though if you go that route.

I am in no way putting down starting with the .22, in skilled hands many weapons are lethal, I just am pretty sure you will be dissapointed in it. Especially since coyotes are not the easiest game to get a shot at in the first place. Heck I've seen videos of them taken with bows and shotguns. Coyotes are all over this country, most likely some in your neck of the woods... only one way to find out!

I would do some research on it, see if your into it, go with the .22 a few times on more of scouting expidition to see what you think.

http://www.wcp-nm.com/coyotes/

some good startin info on the link above

Old 01-07-2009, 08:56 AM   #6
DKA

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

We just use regular Deer Hunting Rifles, with smaller Grain Bullets. Have a 243 and a 25 06, the we use for Coyote. Very effective.

Keep on doing what you are doing now and you will keep on getting what you are getting now.

NC Hunter Safety Instructor
NC Conceal Carry Instructor
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

Old 01-07-2009, 09:13 AM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=Cross Hair;60314] I would love to get a mean AR with a 20" barrel to reach out to them,

me too, i would love a nice ar

I am in no way putting down starting with the .22, in skilled hands many weapons are lethal,I just am pretty sure you will be dissapointed in it. Especially since coyotes are not the easiest game to get a shot at in the first place. , most likely some in your neck of the woods... only one way to find out!

yeah i agree, you cant reach out touch one like you could with a centerfire. but im sure if i could get some kills under my belt with a .22lr i would definitly get addicted

I would do some research on it, see if your into it, go with the .22 a few times on more of scouting expidition to see what you think.

yup, this year

Wars begin where u will

Old 01-07-2009, 11:40 AM   #8

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I've shot a LOT of yotes and it's not bias against the .22LR when I reccomend NOT using it on yotes. Sure it'll kill yotes, just USUALLY not fast enough for my tastes. It's just flat out not powerful enouth to RELIABLY make consistant clean humane kills. I've even had to shoot them more than 1 time with the .22 magnum before. I can't justify spending several hundred dollars on MY budget for an caller for yotes only, and in Ky, use on any game animal is prohibited. I use mouth calls, diaphram calls, and my own natural mouth. I shot yotes for YEARS, in Az, Co, NM, Ok, and Ky with bolt action varmit or bolt action deer rifles. I had resisted using ARs because of past experience with M16s. Only recently did I start using an highly accurate AR on yotes, and HOLY COW!!! I'm still kicking myself for not trying it sooner. I was able to shoot 3 yotes out of a pack! YEARS ago, I used a highly modified, rebarreled mini 14 on jackrabbits and the occasional yote when going to gunsmithing school, and had forgot how much fun it is to have instant followup shots on varmits. Jump shooting jacks will REALLY teach you how to hit running game.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:19 PM   #9

I agree with Stalkingbear, I used to have a big burn pile 25yds from back door of my house. I have got up at 3 or 4 AM to get a drink of water only to see a yote having a cat corned up in the burnpile. I kept my .22Mag in my office alot for just that reason. There is a pole light next to it, so I could see well and would slip quietly out the side door and at 25 yds have popped what proved to be fatal shots with the MAG but many the yotes usually still managed to make it 150 to 200 yds across field before falling over. Thats when I switched to the 30/30... they dont make it another step now! However, it usually wakes up the rest of the house whereas the .22Mag didnt so much!

Check around for SK's at local gun shops. Sometimes you can find one with a cracked stock or beat up pretty cheaply for around $125. A synthetic stock for these only runs 20 - 80 bucks and you can find a scope for around 65 dollars. For around $300 you can totally trick one out... however, with the political climate and gun concern peaking right now who knows what prices are doing in your neck of the woods!

Old 01-07-2009, 07:25 PM   #10

Stalkingbear, when you said you used mouth diaghpram calls, what ones do you use? I use a howler to locate and then use the squeaker to get em in. I watched a knight and hale video where they were using turkey mouth calls and have been wanting to get one, just dont know which to buy. I like the whole hands free concept.

My grandfather lived in Kentucky right off Lake Barkley outside Cadiz. Knight & Hale is located in those parts too if I remember right.