Another Unfortunate Accident - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Another Unfortunate Accident

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2010, 10:59 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasshartt View Post
Either that or a marajuana grow. I have never seen a Coyote whose eyes are above the 5' mark.
I really hope it wasn't on a pot field; that would get me queasy.

I saw this on another forum & wonder if the officer may have been prone or something. That doesn't excuse the shooter's mistake (if it was a mistake); the target hadn't been identified regardless of the officer's position or concealment. I would've thought that if their NV equipment was good enough to allow night hunting, it should be good enough to tell a person from a coyote.

Personally, i don't hunt at night since mistaking a skunk 3' away for a rabbit. (i know, it was dumb & i was young) I have had the opportunity since, but i just doubt my eyesight/ability.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 03-16-2010, 06:33 AM   #12

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I pray for his family.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
Jimi Hendrix

Old 03-16-2010, 06:58 AM   #13

As s****y as I probably sound, it wasn't an "accident", even if it was unintentional. There is really no such thing as an accident when someone is shot, it's either intentional or a result of gross negligence.

I live in Vermont and EVERY unitentional shooting in the last 7-9 years has been prosecuted. Last year there was a guy who, while turkey hunting, shot and killed his own son "accidentally". He was prosecuted also. I probably couldn't live with the guilt and would take a "walk in the woods" myself, but the State didn't think killing his own kid was punishment enough.

I say prosecute them if nothing else as an example. Simply saying "Yup, kilt me a guy the other night, by accident though" is BS.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 03-16-2010, 03:42 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1932 Times on 1369 Posts
Likes Given: 2183

Default Gross Negligence

I recieved an e-mail from Don D. with wwl in New Orleans, I'd post what he sent But I can't figure out how just yet. From what I read he was suposedly hidden be hind a berm and using field glasses. From what the Killer said he thought that he was looking at the eyes of a coyote. He then shot I presume the Man in the head. I think they need to do a renactment to see what the Killer actually saw. There's no way in Hell I'd hunt in this state with these two guy's still running loose. This isn't the first warden that's been shot in this state. When I sign off One Shot One Kill This Is not what I Have in mind.Wills in da swamp in La.

Old 04-02-2010, 07:14 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcreep927 View Post
As s****y as I probably sound, it wasn't an "accident", even if it was unintentional. There is really no such thing as an accident when someone is shot, it's either intentional or a result of gross negligence.

I live in Vermont and EVERY unitentional shooting in the last 7-9 years has been prosecuted. Last year there was a guy who, while turkey hunting, shot and killed his own son "accidentally". He was prosecuted also. I probably couldn't live with the guilt and would take a "walk in the woods" myself, but the State didn't think killing his own kid was punishment enough.

I say prosecute them if nothing else as an example. Simply saying "Yup, kilt me a guy the other night, by accident though" is BS.

Im with you. How in the hell, do you mistake a full grown man wearing a duty belt, for a coyote ?!

Old 04-03-2010, 01:15 AM   #16

It is possible to mistake a button buck for a doe, or even a spike for a doe (at a distance with the naked eye), but a man for a coyote? NO WAY, NO WAY IN H377! Does 1+1=3?

If we dont stand together we dont stand a chance. unknown

One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils of the world are to be cured by legislation. Thomas Reed

Old 04-03-2010, 02:57 AM   #17

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Gross negligence and both should be held accountable. You can't mistake a coyote for a 6' tall man.

My prayers are with him and his family tonight.

Old 04-17-2010, 06:04 AM   #18

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Had a boy some years ago shoot a woman on a trail because he thought she was a bear, happened in Washington State and I do believe he is serving time now. No excuse for this kind of garbage. Hope the family heals quickly.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 04-17-2010, 10:04 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 802 Times on 493 Posts
Likes Given: 1799

Quote:
Originally Posted by willshoum View Post
There's no way in Hell I'd hunt in this state with these two guy's still running loose.
Guys like those two are the reason I almost never hunted public land in Georgia (my home state). There were folks I went to HS with who I didn't want to be within miles of during hunting season, if they were carrying. My Dad taught me at an early age to NEVER pull the trigger until I positively identified my target as being the game i was after. No excuses, and you can't put the bullet back in the barrel after the shot is made. I honestly think there ought to be some demonstrated proficiency test to go along with hunter safety courses, just to prevent some of the boneheads from getting a license.

Old 05-08-2010, 06:10 AM   #20

Default Hope the officer has relatives who are

very willing to wait years and years to do their own hunting........