Another Unfortunate Accident
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Another Unfortunate Accident

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2010, 07:25 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Default Another Unfortunate Accident

BOB , I THOUGHT YOU MIGHT BE INTERSTED IN THIS, SINCE YOU ARE HUNTING IN THAT AREA NOW.

Forest Service Officer Killed

Ted Dunagan 11.MAR.10

Law Enforcement Officer Christopher Arby Upton, 37, of the U.S. Forest Service, was fatally shot last Friday, March 5 at approximately 11 p.m. while on routine patrol of the Ocmulgee Bluff Equestrian Recreation Area in the Chattahoochee-Oconee National Forest in Jasper County.

The shooter was Norman Clinton Hale, 40, of McDonough, who was accompanied by an observer, Clifford Allen McGouirk, 41, of Jackson, who were hunting coyote with a high-powered rifle equipped with night vision and apparently mistook Officer Upton for game, according to information received from the Forest Service’s Regional Office and the Department of Natural Resources (DNR).

After the shooting, the hunters dialed 911 and reported the incident. Jasper County Sheriff Charles Roper and several deputies responded, as did a DNR officer, and an ambulance.

Coroner Billy Norris was called. He reported Saturday morning that it appeared the shooting was accidental.
The two men were booked at the Jasper County Sheriff’s Office (JCSO), questioned and released.

According to Officer Homer Bryson of the DNR, “The standard procedure for a hunter is to identify your target and then shoot. The hunter failed to do this, and mistook the officer for game. He then shot and instantly killed the officer.”

No charges have been levied, but a joint investigation by the DNR and the Forestry Service is on going.
A memorial service for Officer Upton is scheduled for this Saturday, March 13 at 2 p.m. at the Classic Center, 300 N. Thomas St., Athens.

In lieu of flowers, the family has requested donations be made to the Officer Chris Upton Memorial Fund at any branch of Wachovia Bank, or by mail to: Wachovia, 221 South Broad St. GA8792, Monroe, Ga., 30655.
__________________________________________________ _____________
I heard about it and this is horrible. Those of us who have been in the military understand the meaning and importance of target detection and identification. That is why I can never understand how someone can kill another man and claim that he thought he was shooting at a deer. To kill, you must identify and locate the proper point for effective bullet placement ie: head, neck, shoulder etc, then hold the reticle in place and slowly squeeze. How in hell can you hold the reticle on a human standing 5 feet tell or more and mistake him for a coyote? Man does not look like a dog.
Men, deer and coyotes do not resemble one another one bit even with night vision devices.
It'll be interesting to discover if they were intoxicated, but probably not if they called 911 to report the incident.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-11-2010, 07:57 PM   #2

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I don't see how it could be an accident. If so then the shooter exhibited gross neg. That's NOT safe hunting any way you look at it and it gives us all a black eye. It just gives the antis more ammo!

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 03-11-2010, 11:54 PM   #3

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

How the F*ck can you call it "coyote hunting"? I'm more prone to believe that they were standing security on a meth lab. There's a hell of a lot more to this story than was printed.

"Guns don't kill people. Male Kennedy's kill people."

Old 03-12-2010, 12:04 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2121 Times on 1147 Posts
Likes Given: 3192

Quote:
I'm more prone to believe that they were standing security on a meth lab. There's a hell of a lot more to this story than was printed.
+1

Right on.

Old 03-12-2010, 12:11 AM   #5

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

The officer was probably on a night patrol for poachers. Maybe these two were the poachers and didn't want to be confronted. There are only three who know what happened,,, God and the two involved.

If it truly was a case of negligence, the guy, if not charged, should at least be lifetime banned from hunting.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 03-12-2010, 12:32 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1890 Times on 1346 Posts
Likes Given: 2130

Default Nite Hunting Kyyotes

Was this the first time Dumb and Dumb $$$ hunted at nite. Hell on a full moon at night I can tell the differance between a dog and a hog at 100 yrds. I'd check and see how many kyyotes the shot be for they pulled this stupid act. A slap on the hand just ain't gonna git it. My prayers to the family. wills in da swamp in La. One Shot One Kill....

Old 03-12-2010, 12:41 AM   #7

I spose this is why the conservation officers i know are equipped with full auto m16s

Bushrat for life

Old 03-12-2010, 02:47 AM   #8

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorknoids View Post
How the F*ck can you call it "coyote hunting"? I'm more prone to believe that they were standing security on a meth lab. There's a hell of a lot more to this story than was printed.
Either that or a marajuana grow. I have never seen a Coyote whose eyes are above the 5' mark.

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....

Old 03-12-2010, 11:27 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

My thoughts and prayers go out to that officer's family. The two responsible for the shooting need to be seriously investigated. I have a hard time believing they mistook a grown man for a small dog.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 03-12-2010, 09:43 PM   #10

Liked 132 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
I have a hard time believing they mistook a grown man for a small dog.
my sentiments exactly... hope they get to the bottom of it for the sake of his loved ones......that is so wrong.