Americas Greatest Hunting and Wilderness States - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Americas Greatest Hunting and Wilderness States

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2013, 02:19 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Oklahoma!!

3Now therefore, gather your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field to hunt game for me.4 And make me savory food, such as I love and bring it to me that I may eat..(Genesis 27:3-4)

Old 04-03-2013, 03:56 AM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 266 Times on 171 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker
DrumJ, Westerners like the High Lonesome. I have been to Ky. love the Bourbon. Ky is a small state 39th in size with 4.2 million people in its borders.
The western U.S. is not just about the big mountains. It is the low population and massive amounts of public lands. Ky. has more people than Montana and Wyoming added together. The public lands are larger in the west than most small eastern states.
The Salmon-Challis National Forest is the size of New Hampshire.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:07 AM   #33
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Where did you get your Public Land numbers for Idaho?

http://www.wildlandfire.com/docs/2007/western-states-data-public-land.htm
Read the site you referenced. 60% of Idaho is managed by the US Forest Service, or Bureau of Land Management. The highest percentage of any of the States.

Old 04-03-2013, 04:22 AM   #34
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Where did you get your Public Land numbers for Idaho?

http://www.wildlandfire.com/docs/2007/western-states-data-public-land.htm
The BLM & Forest Service manage more land area in Idaho than the smallest 9 states combined, and larger than the smallest 19 of the states individually.

Old 04-03-2013, 04:24 AM   #35

Liked 4792 Times on 2680 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

That is true. I was not looking at the percentage to total land mass. I was looking at total amounts of public lands in each state. Idaho is the smallest Mtn. state so yes the percentage to total is high.
There are 3 Mtn. states with much more public lands. No matter Idaho is a fine place I have been around there over the years. People who are not familiar with the Mtn. states have no idea what hunting the wild is like.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:19 PM   #36

Liked 341 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Don't move to Idaho-

Heavy snow and no budget to remove it-
Southern part of the state 75% Mormon-
Water contamination everywhere from INL Labratories- they built the first nuq sub underground and dump nuq waste here-
No industry = No jobs-
No good looking women-
The football field is blue-
Surrounded by weed legal states-
Mexicans don't even come here- must be the skinhead influence-

DO NOT MOVE TO IDAHO

Old 04-04-2013, 03:11 AM   #37

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Tire View Post
Don't move to Idaho-

Heavy snow and no budget to remove it-
Southern part of the state 75% Mormon-
DO NOT MOVE TO IDAHO
So twoo, so twoo! Also true for Western Washington, and Oregon.

Been there, it's beautiful (in the summer), many, many places to hunt and fish, and what ever.......the place is strange with survivalists, and other groups, and kinda scary in a way because of that. I haven't been there in a couple of decades, and it sounds like it has not changed for the better. Wear your NRA cap!

Idaho is small by western standards, especially the best parts, Alaska on the other hand is HUGE, and to get around you really need an airplane, or lot's of disposable cash. I have flown throughout the central and western parts, and well north of the arctic circle, and really have seen only a small portion. The wildlife is also big, Polar bear, Kodiak bear, Moose.

Like has been said before, most states have really good areas for outdoors activity, and only a few are not especially gun friendly. West is were I would look for my new home. Easily accessible forest or public land areas, some very near metropolitan centers.

Old 04-04-2013, 03:21 AM   #38
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 343 Times on 156 Posts
Likes Given: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by 207driver View Post
So twoo, so twoo! Also true for Western Washington, and Oregon.

Been there, it's beautiful (in the summer), many, many places to hunt and fish, and what ever.......the place is strange with survivalists, and other groups, and kinda scary in a way because of that. I haven't been there in a couple of decades, and it sounds like it has not changed for the better. Wear your NRA cap!

Idaho is small by western standards, especially the best parts, Alaska on the other hand is HUGE, and to get around you really need an airplane, or lot's of disposable cash. I have flown throughout the central and western parts, and well north of the arctic circle, and really have seen only a small portion. The wildlife is also big, Polar bear, Kodiak bear, Moose.

Like has been said before, most states have really good areas for outdoors activity, and only a few are not especially gun friendly. West is were I would look for my new home. Easily accessible forest or public land areas, some very near metropolitan centers.

We over on the East side of Washington tend to do "ok"...we aren't much appreciated by the West side folks of the state I guess, they often say we're still fighting the indians etc. That's ok, we like it just the way it is and just grin and shake our heads a lot when the anti-gunners come nosing around. As for hunting, probably not the best but, I'm able to put one in the freezer every year so far off the wheat fields so, I can't complain and I like having the mild winters, little rain, now and then heat spells but great Fall and Spring.

"The government did not write the constitution to give rights to the people. The people wrote the constitution to limit the government's power."

LIFETIME NRA MEMBER SINCE 1977