Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Hunting Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   alaska sidearm (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/alaska-sidearm-96424/)

CaseyChadwell 09-02-2013 12:49 PM

alaska sidearm

I have recently got the news that I am Alaska bound! I've never been so excited about something since the birth of my kids. Now that that is out of the way, I have the planning to do...not sure of the exact date I get to go as of yet, sometime early to late spring next year. My question as of now isn't what firearm to hunt with, but if a 44 mag Taurus tracker will be sufficient for a sidearm to carry as a oh **** weapon. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

John_Deer 09-02-2013 07:17 PM

I would feel much better with a 12 ga loaded with slugs. Shooting a bear with a pistol is not a good idea. I would try playing dead first. Not to mention you could encounter a moose. Killing a moose with a peashooter is like trying to kill a brahma bull with a peashooter.

I saw an alaska state trooper shoot a moose twice in the head with a 12 ga slug before it went down. You want to take on a moose with a peashooter? I would take out a healthy life insurance policy to make sure your kids go to college.

Those pro hunters you see on TV taking dangerous game with a pistol have a guide off camera with a rifle just in case the peashooter doesn't work.

phideaux 09-02-2013 07:21 PM

This being the second post of this with new thread name should merge with 44 magnum thread.

Jim

Jagermeister 09-02-2013 07:23 PM

I understand a twelve gauge with slugs is the best choice for a defensive weapon in Alaska. That is what I read, and what past threads suggest.

phideaux 09-02-2013 07:26 PM

The Taurus Tracker .44 mag is a good choice.

Jim

CrazedJava 09-03-2013 02:16 PM

There was a similar discussion over at TTAG (The Truth About Guns)

There was some really good advice over there.

Get yourself some bear spray if you might be in an area to encounter them. The suggestions for a handgun STARTED at .44 mag with quite a few fans of .454 Casull. Personally I would use .44 Mag simply because of my lack of experience with large caliber handguns.

12 gauge slugs were also HIGHLY recommended as was a "brush gun", which was a lever gun in .45-70.

A handgun is better than nothing, but it sounds like when it comes to bears it is indeed a "pea shooter"

303tom 09-03-2013 07:18 PM

My BFR in .45-70.................

Rocky7 09-03-2013 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_Deer (Post 1355601)
Shooting a bear with a pistol is not a good idea. I would try playing dead first.

Neither of those are good ideas, actually.

When I'm in bear country, I sleep with a short barrelled 3" 12 ga. loaded with 00 buck...no plug.

orangello 09-03-2013 08:06 PM

With the bear, remember, you are NOT shooting to stop the bear, you are shooting to stop the bear AND to kill the bear. Don't forget the shovel. ;)

My nephew has an older .357 Taurus Tracker and loves it with that 7 round cylinder. His dad has a .44 mag Taurus revolver, not sure of the model; it is large, ported, and setup for an optic mount rail.

Having shot both, i'd prefer my Ruger GP100, but not for bear.

Rocky7 09-03-2013 08:12 PM

Haha. We have the same saying around here for some situations: "Shoot, Shovel and Shut-Up."