Ah Yes: The Once-A-Year Hunter - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Ah Yes: The Once-A-Year Hunter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2009, 10:51 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
That is called a squib load.
Opps! My bad. You are correct Robocop.
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000

Old 03-27-2009, 11:39 PM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9164 Times on 3957 Posts
Likes Given: 1435

You can visit my old time smith, who has a few barrel sections similar to that one mounted to a board, with a tag that reads Killed by Ignorance. An obstructed barrel certainly will bulge or blow (just finished rebarreling a nice 20 g pump due to bulge from prior owner)

And FWIW, the SAAMI pressure spec on 12 g is 11,000 PSI max.

.270 Winchester is 65,000 PSI- max. At 65,000 PSI, steel will flow. The REAL problem is not the bullet hitting the obstruction (altho that is not good) it is the AIR between the bullet and obstruction that gets compressed by bullet acting as piston.

Old 03-28-2009, 03:11 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
That is called a squib load.
A squib load, also known as a squib round, pop and no kick, or just a squib, is a firearms malfunction in which a fired projectile does not have enough force behind it to exit the barrel, and thus becomes stuck. This type of malfunction can be extremely dangerous, as failing to notice that the projectile has become stuck in the barrel may result in another round being fired directly into the obstructed barrel, resulting in a catastrophic failure of the weapon's structural integrity.

Old 03-28-2009, 09:46 PM   #14

Liked 39 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 17

In here those SQUIB LOADS are called "cotufa" (popcorn) because sounds like a popcorn

“You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that, my dear friend, is the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Dr. Adrian Rogers”

TELL CHAVEZ NOW! CLICK HERE

Old 03-28-2009, 10:46 PM   #15

The fact that some people believe gun myths started by Bugs Bunny says a lot about evolution...

‘‘War clouds were gathering rapidly. The sending of more than 3,000 British army regulars under Maj. Gen. Thomas Gage to Boston further exacerbated the imperial rift. When a column of these troops under Lt. Col. Francis Smith moved into the countryside to collect arms and munitions gathered by the patriot militia, hostilities erupted at Lexington and Concord on Apr. 19, 1775.’’ - The American Revolution Begins

Old 03-29-2009, 01:08 AM   #16

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Snow in a shotgun barrel can blow it. And what do you mean? I base all my life affecting physics decision according to what I learned from Loony Tunes.

Old 03-29-2009, 01:31 PM   #17

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse17 View Post
I've seen plenty of barrels looking just like the pics above, at the Cody, WY. museum of fire arms.

The most dangerous mistake in reloading is in not loading or not loading enough powder in a shell. When you fire it, it lodges the bullet in the barrel (called a stove pipe), then the next round has nowhere to go and the barrel will "banana peel" just like the pics show.

As a hand loader, I'd much rather have an overloaded cartridge than an underloaded cartridge!

First of all, "stove pipe" is a jam in a semi-auto handgun whereby the spent casing does not fully eject and prevents the slide from chambering a new round, secondly, the barrel will not always "banana peel" like in the cartoons. In fact, I had this happen to me with my HiPoint .40 carbine and NOTHING happened. In fact there were at least TWO rounds stuck in the barrel. I was shooting some reloads in rapid fire and squeezed the trigger twice after the first "squib" load deposited a bullet in the barrel. The next two rounds pushed the first bullet almost out of the barrel but not quite. No barrel bulge, no peeling of the barrel - nothing! Was I lucky? Hell yes! If it had been a high power round thiings would have been different. I sent the gun back to HiPoint and they rebarelled it for free, supplied a new magazine, scope mount, stock, and "buffed" the trigger. The lesson? Don't reload late at night and be sure to check your powder measure with a scale every so often to ascertain that it is throwing the correct powder charge.
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 03-29-2009 at 01:36 PM.

Old 04-08-2009, 02:35 PM   #18

Default interesting

I had a H&R brought in with 6 32 s&w long jacketed bullets piled up in the barrel.nothing to it just drive them out.yes my foot I had to heat it and drill them out.did not hurt the barrel,but the barrel was a bull barrel not the slender ones.I have a Security Industries 357 given me the barrel was split and the frame at the barrel was broken off no harm to the cylinder.some people are lucky.

Old 04-08-2009, 05:56 PM   #19

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Revolvers are good for not doing anything but sticking the bullets in the barrel.

I seen a 4" barrel ruger GP-101 that had 7 bullets stuck in the barrel. Why 7 well the first was a squib and then he piled 6 in back of it and the reloaded and fired one more before realizing that there were no holes in the target 10 yards down range. The barrel was fine other than be stuffed full of lead and copper.

Also Since when does a Savage 110 and a Simmons scope go for $2000? Did I miss something here? Also the guy in the last picture was not from that gun as there was no blood anywhere in the shooting stall or on the rifle. Hoe did he face get all torn up?

Old 04-08-2009, 06:26 PM   #20

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post

Also Since when does a Savage 110 and a Simmons scope go for $2000? Did I miss something here?
Quote:
1. Shiny new, high-powered deer rifle..............$ 1,200.00

2. Quality, high-powered scope........................$ 550.00
Math class apparently. That's $1,750 where I come from, but the whole thing with the write up was probably done by someone who wanted to spoof the Mastercard commercial.

As for the bloody guy, I don't know, I wasn't paying attention to that, I was paying attention to the four leaf clover of a barrel - but feel free to concentrate on the man bits if that's your thing.

JD