Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Hunting Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   Ah Yes: The Once-A-Year Hunter (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/ah-yes-once-year-hunter-12261/)

Dillinger 03-27-2009 01:06 AM

Ah Yes: The Once-A-Year Hunter

5 Attachment(s)
1. Shiny new, high-powered deer rifle..............$ 1,200.00

2. Quality, high-powered scope........................$ 550.00

3. Bore sighting device.....................................$ 140.00

4. Hospital Visit......................$ 4,893.00

5. Forgetting to remove the bore sighting device prior to actually shooting the damned thing?

PRICELESS!!

Look, a Collimeter is a great device, if you know what the Eff you are doing with it!! However, you don't leave the damn thing in the barrel when you load a LIVE ROUND!!

Moron!

dnthmn2004 03-27-2009 02:53 AM

I think this is a fake.

From Mythbusters,

Myth: A shotgun plugged by a human finger will backfire and explode injuring or killing the shooter instead of the intended victim.

Busted

Both test hands (composed of ballistics gel of varying firmness) were completely obliterated by the shotgun blast. Neither had the volume or strength needed to plug the barrel to create enough pressure to cause it to explode. Even under ridiculous circumstances like having the barrel clogged with dirt, being sealed off by a 4 inch spike welded into the barrel and by being blocked by a simulated squib load, the gun still didnít explode. The best results seen were minor deformations in the gun barrel.

BillM 03-27-2009 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnthmn2004 (Post 87514)
I think this is a fake.

From Mythbusters,

Myth: A shotgun plugged by a human finger will backfire and explode injuring or killing the shooter instead of the intended victim.

Busted

A LOT of difference between the pressures involved with a shotgun and a
centerfire rifle. You CAN blow up a gun. A light load in a 9mm that lodges
a bullet toward the end of the barrel, and then another round fired behind
it will split the pistol barrel full length, bulge the slide, and blow it off the
rails at one end. Trust me---I did it and have the slide and barrel as proof.

Bill

bobbyb13 03-27-2009 03:15 AM

Only thing I can come up with

Ouch, d@mn, dumb@$$

Merc187 03-27-2009 03:51 AM

Looks like someone was in a hurry. Obviously the last thing he thought about was a weapons check. Bet the first thinig he does before getting behind a scope now is glance at the muzzle. Then again, we have Darwin Awards for a reason. :rolleyes:

As far as being fake, I can see how this could have easily happened. I am pretty sure a bullet mushrooming in the end of your barrel could be a bad thing. However, common sense would also tell you (without Mythbusters) that if I stick my finger in the end of that, I am going to pull back a stump.

Scenerio 1?

Shooter to friend "I can get the laser out, it's stuck."
Friend "Let me try.... Nope still stuck."
Shooter "Well now what the eff do I do."
Friend [With light bulb above head] "I know! Shoot a round through it and the bullet will push it out!"

Jesse17 03-27-2009 03:59 AM

I've seen plenty of barrels looking just like the pics above, at the Cody, WY. museum of fire arms.

The most dangerous mistake in reloading is in not loading or not loading enough powder in a shell. When you fire it, it lodges the bullet in the barrel (called a stove pipe), then the next round has nowhere to go and the barrel will "banana peel" just like the pics show.

As a hand loader, I'd much rather have an overloaded cartridge than an underloaded cartridge!

mrm14 03-27-2009 04:00 AM

Blown up Shotgun Barrel

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnthmn2004 (Post 87514)
I think this is a fake.

From Mythbusters,

Busted

Both test hands (composed of ballistics gel of varying firmness) were completely obliterated by the shotgun blast. Neither had the volume or strength needed to plug the barrel to create enough pressure to cause it to explode. Even under ridiculous circumstances like having the barrel clogged with dirt, being sealed off by a 4 inch spike welded into the barrel and by being blocked by a simulated squib load, the gun still didnít explode. The best results seen were minor deformations in the gun barrel.

A myth? I think not!

My family owned a auto part/hardware/sporting goods store until recently. Back in the early 1970's we had a customer who bought a Winchester Model 1200 pump shotgun. Two weeks later he brought back the gun with the barrel shredded back not unlike the rifle pictured above. He threatened to sue us for selling him a shotgun with a defective barrel. The argument became quite heated between him and my Dad and Uncle. While this was going on I had a chance to inspect the barrel. What I found was impressions of tire tread marks on the split back part as well as some of the intact part of the barrel. He had run over the barrel of the gun with his truck. (We had sold him the tires) When the arguement subsided a little I piped up and said "Then go ahead and sue us if you want" I then took him aside and said "I don't know who you are trying to ****, but your not ****ting me" I then showed him what I found on the trashed barrel of this shotgun and he shut up. Total silence for about a minuet. Part of the arguement He was having with my Dad and Uncle was that he wanted a new shotgun and a $1000.00 not to sue. His family was business owners too and purchased between $10,000.00 to $12,000.00 a month. ( They had a fleet of heavy equipment and trucks) So I walked him back to the gun rack pulled a barrel of another 1200 and gave it to him and then told him "Dont ever come back here ever again with such a half ass lie like that again and you are banned from ever buying a firearm from here forever." He left quietly and his family continued to do business with us. A few weeks later his Dad came in with him and he, the son, had a black eye and a tooth missing. Aparently he had lied to his dad about the situation before he came in the first time and his dad had beat the hell out of him for lieing to him and us. After his father apologized for his sons actions he then made his son apologize in turn. Ahhh. The good old days. This father could never get away with what he did then, in beating the truth out of his son, in todays times.

CA357 03-27-2009 04:01 AM

Oooh, that's gonna' leave a nasty mark. :D

Spanz 03-27-2009 11:45 AM

If you think that a barrel can not explode from just a little obstruction, think again! Ice will do it. Even a little water. And if the barrel does not go, how about a chunk of the action stuck in your face. It is really easy to get some stuff stuck in your barrel after a full day of hunting. Worth checking.

That is also why you only carry one type of ammo on you when you are hunting. A 20 ga will slide down a 12 ga barrel and jam, and make for a very bad day, for instance.

robocop10mm 03-27-2009 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesse17 (Post 87553)
I've seen plenty of barrels looking just like the pics above, at the Cody, WY. museum of fire arms.

The most dangerous mistake in reloading is in not loading or not loading enough powder in a shell. When you fire it, it lodges the bullet in the barrel (called a stove pipe), then the next round has nowhere to go and the barrel will "banana peel" just like the pics show.

As a hand loader, I'd much rather have an overloaded cartridge than an underloaded cartridge!

That is called a squib load.