Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Advice needed: Weatherby Vanguard, Thompson Venture or Savage 11 FHNS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2010, 02:35 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Advice needed: Weatherby Vanguard, Thompson Venture or Savage 11 FHNS

I am getting to purchase my first hunting rifle and could use your help. First the purpose...hogs and deer in the Southeast (primarily in the Carolinas, GA, AL and MS) and after reading other discussions I will most likely go with the .308 and a Redfield Scope (Revolution 3-9x50mm).

So now I have to finalize the rifle, with my final three listed above. I wanted your opinions on quality, accuracy out of the box and overall durability. I realize that some of this is subjective and accuracy is based on the shooter, but I am trying to avoid making a mistake and do not want to break the bank either.

Please let me know your thought and experience with these rifles.

Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-18-2010, 02:52 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have no experience with the other brand/models you listed but I am very happy with my .308 Weatherby Vanguard. Specifically the adjustable trigger.

I read lots of posts (to similar threads) that Savage is the brand to beat though so look at that closely too.

Good luck!

Old 07-18-2010, 07:30 PM   #3

the Vanguard hands down it just looks cleaner and they shoot great next pick savage

let no talents go unused

Old 07-19-2010, 05:10 PM   #4

I have both a Weatherby and a Savage. Weatherby is a wood stock and probably the reason i like it more is the little dings and wear on the wood make it feel a bit more weathered and storied to me atleast. I have hunted with a savage 270 since i was 15 or so and use it for deer and the 300 win mag(have both savage and weatherby in this) for elk. Either one is great and have never had any problems with either one. The savage has been through hell since i got it at younger age and still shoots great. Sorry its not much help.

Old 07-31-2010, 02:38 AM   #5

I have a Weatherby Vanguard .270 Win. Great feeling and shooting rifle. I would also add Howa 1500 (same action as Weatherby). They are very good rifles and sometimes can be a little cheaper than a Weatherby.

Old 07-31-2010, 02:54 AM   #6

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

When you close your eyes, shoulder them quickly and then open your eyes, which one points the best?

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 08-09-2010, 11:37 PM   #7

Update- I have chosen the Thompson Venture Predator in .308 and now have found out that these are on backorder from Thompson. After speaking with there customer service they have about 200 on back order and are only getting around 20 or so out the door a week...at this rate I wont need it. I think I am going to give it a few weeks and if they are still on backorder I will move on the Weatherby Vanguard Predator.

Thanks for all of the advice, I will let you know how I make out.