Advice for hog hunting in northern Ga

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Advice for hog hunting in northern Ga

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2012, 02:43 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 401 Times on 284 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Advice for hog hunting in northern Ga

My granpa and i both hunt deer and did good this last season, but we cant find any information on hogs, we have scouted our deer spots but no signs of hogs, advice?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-12-2012, 03:11 PM   #2

Liked 634 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 1848

I advise that you look in the GA. Game and Fish book and look at ALL the rules and regulations for hogs. Some states call them game animals some do not.

Here in Arkansas the GFA does not consider them game. So the rules on public are to make sure there is a hunting season open and use legal weapons for that season. But on private land one can kill them any time of year, and in any manner.

Old 05-12-2012, 10:40 PM   #3

Liked 380 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ineverFTF View Post
My granpa and i both hunt deer and did good this last season, but we cant find any information on hogs, we have scouted our deer spots but no signs of hogs, advice?
If your pigs are anything like ours look around waterholes just on dark or just before dawn and look for wallows as pigs don't sweat so they have to wallow in mud to cool off and keep bitings bugs off their butts.
They also will hole up in any scrub during the heat of the day under bushes a sthe direct heat really does worry them.
Another suggestion is to put up a trail cam near any waterhole and give it a couple of days.
Using things like boiled wheat and possibly mixing molasses with it as a attractant will give you an idea whats in the area.
Is the area your looking in hunted hard because pigs will move away from any areas that are hard hunted and can travel anything upto 20 miles to get to a quieter area with food and protection.
Are there any farms nearby that are under crops especially stuff like wheat,oats,sorghum or maize a spigs love that stuff especially during harvest,regards

The ability to think and speak doesn't necessarily guarantee intelligence

Old 05-12-2012, 10:43 PM   #4

Liked 401 Times on 284 Posts
Likes Given: 9

ITs not over hunted but it is hunted well