8x57 Mauser for coyotes and groundhogs
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    


Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > 8x57 Mauser for coyotes and groundhogs

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2014, 06:04 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 227
Liked 62 Times on 42 Posts

Default 8x57 Mauser for coyotes and groundhogs

I just got a m43 Spanish mauser in 8x57mm. I plan on busting a few whistle pigs with it this summer. I also plan on using it on moondogs (coyotes) this winter. Yes, I know I should use something smaller but :

I live in Indiana

I can't use anything larger than a 50 Beowulf for deer

There are no weapon restrictions for groundhogs and coyotes.

I plan on selling the coyote tails*.

The place I grew up hunting on and still hunt on has deer, turkeys, squirrels, "trophy" groundhogs (I ain't kidding) and a pack of coyotes that need to be managed because the 109 acres I hunt on has a great Whitetail bloodline and I don't want them messing with the fawns.

How much do you guys think I could get for the coyote tails?

P.S- if you hang pelts on the wall without a mounting bracket, I recommend using nails with the tiniest head possible. That way you don't compress as much fur and it looks better.



Last edited by cva209x50; 04-02-2014 at 06:29 PM.
cva209x50 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 04-03-2014, 01:52 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
303tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Missouri
Posts: 4,365
Liked 1563 Times on 1060 Posts
Likes Given: 1699

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cva209x50 View Post
I just got a m43 Spanish mauser in 8x57mm. I plan on busting a few whistle pigs with it this summer. I also plan on using it on moondogs (coyotes) this winter. Yes, I know I should use something smaller but :

I live in Indiana

I can't use anything larger than a 50 Beowulf for deer

There are no weapon restrictions for groundhogs and coyotes.

I plan on selling the coyote tails*.

The place I grew up hunting on and still hunt on has deer, turkeys, squirrels, "trophy" groundhogs (I ain't kidding) and a pack of coyotes that need to be managed because the 109 acres I hunt on has a great Whitetail bloodline and I don't want them messing with the fawns.

How much do you guys think I could get for the coyote tails?

P.S- if you hang pelts on the wall without a mounting bracket, I recommend using nails with the tiniest head possible. That way you don't compress as much fur and it looks better.
Sorry but, 109 acres & you have a Whitetail blood line ?...........


__________________
When all else fails.
303tom is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:12 PM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 227
Liked 62 Times on 42 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303tom View Post
Sorry but, 109 acres & you have a Whitetail blood line ?...........
I don't know if it's a legit bloodline but the bucks are pretty decent size. The Whitetail deer in Noble county, Indiana are pretty good size.
cva209x50 is offline  
303tom Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 03:06 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
303tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Missouri
Posts: 4,365
Liked 1563 Times on 1060 Posts
Likes Given: 1699

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cva209x50 View Post
I don't know if it's a legit bloodline but the bucks are pretty decent size. The Whitetail deer in Noble county, Indiana are pretty good size.
Whitetail Bucks Roam for Miles !...............
__________________
When all else fails.
303tom is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 03:10 AM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Rick1967's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Clifton,Colorado
Posts: 4,516
Liked 2144 Times on 1176 Posts
Likes Given: 1390

Default

8x57 is a lot of rifle for ground hogs. There may not be much left.
__________________
Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.
Rick1967 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 03:13 AM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 227
Liked 62 Times on 42 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303tom View Post
Whitetail Bucks Roam for Miles !...............
Yeah well, I hunt along the north noble / Lagrange county line.
cva209x50 is offline  
303tom Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 03:14 AM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 227
Liked 62 Times on 42 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
8x57 is a lot of rifle for ground hogs. There may not be much left.
OK, what about 410 rifled slugs.
cva209x50 is offline  
303tom Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 12:18 PM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Sidney,Oh.
Posts: 483
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Default

I had a friend that used to hunt groundhog with an 8 x 57. He cast his own 110 gr. lead bullets and loaded them down. He did not miss many out to 100 yards, and took a lot out to 150 yards, with the military sights. As for the 410, Federal 3 in. are the most powerful that I know of, and they push a 115 gr. bullet at abt 1,700 fps. The BC of a bullet that lite in 41 cal. is very low and you range is extremely limited. Now if you were to build a 410 like I have, on a Moslin action, and load your own you could do a lot better. Using plastic cases I pushing a 240 gr. cast bullet at 1295 fps., 55 fps faster than my Super Black Hawk pushes them. There is no recoil with this load and my granddaughter at age 12 shot an 1 1/5 in group at 100 yards with the military trigger. I think with a different powder I could get the velocity higher, but why?
__________________
Catfish
Ohio
Catfish is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 03:24 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
303tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Missouri
Posts: 4,365
Liked 1563 Times on 1060 Posts
Likes Given: 1699

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
8x57 is a lot of rifle for ground hogs. There may not be much left.
FMJ`s just make a nice neat hole !...............At least my .303 does...........
__________________
When all else fails.
303tom is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 05:27 PM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 227
Liked 62 Times on 42 Posts

Default

Remington underloads their 8mm Mauser ammo to the equivalent of a 30-30.


cva209x50 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
8x57 out of a 7.92pr Spanish mauser cva209x50 Ammunition & Reloading 18 04-01-2014 12:08 AM
mauser spanish m43 7x57 mauser fixing question bluebikerboy1 General Rifle Discussion 2 05-31-2013 07:07 PM
Mauser rifle Comparision: Mauser k98 vs M24 series theeuropeangoth General Rifle Discussion 7 04-04-2013 12:23 AM
8x57 loading info cottontop Ammunition & Reloading 4 10-06-2012 10:46 PM
Husqvarna Model 648 8x57 cottontop General Rifle Discussion 14 10-06-2012 08:35 PM



Newest Threads