7.62x54r for white tail deer, several Q's
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > 7.62x54r for white tail deer, several Q's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2011, 09:12 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Default 7.62x54r for white tail deer, several Q's

Here's the deal. I have several cans of this ammo in milsurp that is stored somewhere, but I have also picked up a single box of 20 rounds, Silver Bear, Soft point, 203 grain boat tail.

Questions

1. Has anyone hunted with the latter round or something similar and is it any good?

2. Is regular milsurp any good for deer?

3. I know it's illegal in some places to use milsurp ammo while hunting, but I was told in MS it's legal (told by a Game Warden), but I can't find the info for myself, so could anyone point me in the right direction?

4. Any suggestions for good hunting ammo in this caliber?

5. What should be about the biggest game attempted with it? I'll only be hunting deer for right now, but you never know, I may want to move up to Elk or Caribou sometime. I want a bear skin coat too.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-08-2011, 09:40 PM   #2

Liked 253 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Here's the deal. I have several cans of this ammo in milsurp that is stored somewhere, but I have also picked up a single box of 20 rounds, Silver Bear, Soft point, 203 grain boat tail.

Questions

1. Has anyone hunted with the latter round or something similar and is it any good?

2. Is regular milsurp any good for deer?

3. I know it's illegal in some places to use milsurp ammo while hunting, but I was told in MS it's legal (told by a Game Warden), but I can't find the info for myself, so could anyone point me in the right direction?

4. Any suggestions for good hunting ammo in this caliber?

5. What should be about the biggest game attempted with it? I'll only be hunting deer for right now, but you never know, I may want to move up to Elk or Caribou sometime. I want a bear skin coat too.
I have hunted lots with that round..but only for moose. You need to shoot a couple targets with the 203gr as it changes significantly the point of aim. I found it shot a lot higher. Anyways that round hits like the hammer of Thor. It
falls between the 308 and 30-06 in regards to power (do not go by American ballistics as they tend to skew and underload for this round. An American loaded 7.62x54r is closer to a .303 british)

As for hunting with military rounds....don't. Unless you love tracking animals. With no expansion (especially so on a deer) the chance of not getting a good kill is exponentially higher. That soft point ammo is cheap.

My favourite btw is the PRVI PARTIZAN 150 gr. It's hotter than heck and hits hard. Kills moose deader than dead However the Sellier&Bellot 180 gr is no slacker either. One thing to remember is the S&B ammo is so hot it tends to split the case in the neck. If your rifle does this it is fault of the ammo not the rifle. I have used the MFS 203gr and it shoots a little high (thats what you have there but in a different package).

The rifle you have there will take any animal on the continent of North America. Some Inuit I have talked to even use it for Polar bear. You can subsitute the 7.62x54r anywhere you would use a 30-06 in regards to hunting big game. Around here we call it the "Russian 30-06"

Hope this helps.

Dave

Be careful who's toes you step on today....'cause they could be connected to the a** you need to kiss tomorrow.

Last edited by davemccarthy707; 10-08-2011 at 09:45 PM.

Old 10-08-2011, 09:45 PM   #3

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Its unlawful to hunt big game with fmj bullets. The SP will work fine.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 10-08-2011, 09:45 PM   #4
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1851 Times on 1002 Posts
Likes Given: 565

7.62x54R is about the same power level as a 30.06. S&B and Winchester load a 180 gr SP. There are probably others.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 10-08-2011, 09:47 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've hunted for years with the old Mosin Nagant. Like said previously the round falls between the .308 and 30-06. I wouldn't recommend hunting with military surplus for the reason stated previously not to mention I believe it's illegal to use a fmj for hunting in Virginia. I just buy what ever I can find locally regardless of manufacturer and bullet weight, but I make sure I buy several rounds of it so I can figure out how it prints.

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 10-08-2011, 10:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed View Post
Its unlawful to hunt big game with fmj bullets. The SP will work fine.
pretty sure it depends on where you live. I know it's illegal in TN with milsurp ammo because I was able to easily find the information. And like I said, I was told by a game warden it is legal here, I just want to check for myself. It doesn't matter though, because I will probably not be using it anyway.

Dave, on the expansion thing, that's what a good friend of mine told me a couple hours ago too. It's kind of what I figured. He said I probably wouldn't even be able to find a blood trail for a while if I used it, but would have to follow for a while and see if I could pick one up.

Old 10-08-2011, 11:07 PM   #7

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

According to published information from the MS state website, there are no caliber, magazine, or ammunition requirements for hunting whitetail deer.

Absolute lunacy.

That means Billy Joe Jack can use his 22 short Winchester, or his hi point 380.

Lets get some of dem bullets that explode. Whoo hoo.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 10-08-2011, 11:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed View Post
According to published information from the MS state website, there are no caliber, magazine, or ammunition requirements for hunting whitetail deer.

Absolute lunacy.

That means Billy Joe Jack can use his 22 short Winchester, or his hi point 380.

Lets get some of dem bullets that explode. Whoo hoo.
Really? Throw me a link, man. I had a cousin who hunted with a .22, but at least he was responsible and took shots only at bow range (less than 50 yds) and only head shots. He never wounded one, never had to track one.

But I was pretty sure .22's were illegal for deer.

Old 10-08-2011, 11:21 PM   #9

Liked 699 Times on 479 Posts
Likes Given: 719

The 203gr do hit like the Hammer of Thor. That is a fact. Dave said it all! 7.62x54r is well over 100 years old. It is a low pressure round that w/ a long barrel will beat a contemperary at distance. Mosin and Nagant where the 2 that inspired the rifle. Remington designed the ammo. You could do far worse on a choice.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 10-09-2011, 12:09 AM   #10

Oh I've already got a 91/30, and have already put a spam can through it. I knew it was an effective man killer, I was just making sure on the ammo for the hunting side. Grainy cell phone pic inbound, I've had since about January I think.

img_2076.jpg