44 magnum - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum >

44 magnum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2012, 05:52 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

I've been shooting this Marlin Model 1894 in .44 Magnum since the mid 80's when I bought it. It's topped with a Leupold Vari-X II 2-7X in Leupold rings and base. Mine has the Micro Groove rifling. It's a nice rifle, and it gets shot a lot. I shoot mostly handloads consisting of Sierra 240 Grain Soft Points, and 2400 powder with a Magnum primer and a heavy crimp with a Lee Factory Crimp die. Accuracy is quite good with this load. My model is post gold trigger, but pre checkering.

44 magnum - Hunting Forum

Old 04-25-2012, 11:07 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by billt
I've been shooting this Marlin Model 1894 in .44 Magnum since the mid 80's when I bought it. It's topped with a Leupold Vari-X II 2-7X in Leupold rings and base. Mine has the Micro Groove rifling. It's a nice rifle, and it gets shot a lot. I shoot mostly handloads consisting of Sierra 240 Grain Soft Points, and 2400 powder with a Magnum primer and a heavy crimp with a Lee Factory Crimp die. Accuracy is quite good with this load. My model is post gold trigger, but pre checkering.
That's a great looking gun! I'm sort of old school and prefer guns with little or no checkering. I suppose it helps grip the gun but don't like the looks of most rifles and shotguns.

Old 04-25-2012, 11:39 AM   #33
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22310 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilrichthedragon View Post
my uncle had an 870 go off laying in the corner of his house that's my source
by itself? really! now there is one i have never heard before.

i have looked at several if not many of the new Remingtons, and quality doesn't seem to lacking at all. i keep hearing this same drivel, over and over, and i personally am not seeing this lapse in quality, or poor fit and finish in Remington firearms.

Marlin went to the Ballard cut rifling on their lever actions so that it would shoot cast lead bullets better, as the MicroGroove barrels worked better for jacketed bullets.

i have also looked at some of the recent Marlin lever actions and also heard of some of the horror stories floating around. personally, i didn't see that either.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:34 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
i have looked at several if not many of the new Remingtons, and quality doesn't seem to lacking at all. i keep hearing this same drivel, over and over, and i personally am not seeing this lapse in quality, or poor fit and finish in Remington firearms.
I haven't seen any of these "poor quality" Remington's either. This is just more Internet nonsense that gets picked up and ran with, without any real evidence what so ever to support it. Sure, there is going to be the occasional problem that surfaces with any make or model of firearm. But a lot of this is simply hatred and bias that is leveled at Remington because it was purchased by a large, multi billion dollar holding company. So based on that, and nothing else people just assume quality has fallen off a cliff. That is nonsense with nothing what so ever to back it up.

The true fact of the matter is that Remington was on the verge of going bankrupt when Cerberus Capitol Management purchased them. If it wasn't for Cerberus there would no longer be a Remington making anything. I just looked at a new Remington 870 Trap Grade shotgun. It was one of the most beautifully constructed 870's I've ever seen.

Old 04-25-2012, 03:30 PM   #35
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3456 Times on 1780 Posts
Likes Given: 374

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilrichthedragon View Post
well I've seen no serious problems with winchester ruger s& w like remington has had
I do not agree. The new Smith and Wesson revolvers use MIM (cast) parts as opposed to the traditional forged steel parts that were Smith's mainstay for generations. Few will argue the new revolvers are a good as the old ones. I am not really "in to" Rugers so I cannot comment. What Winchesters are you referring to? In 1964 Win. took a huge dip in quality, especially the rifles. Few consider the new model 70's in the same class as the "pre-64's"

Old 04-26-2012, 02:58 PM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
I do not agree. The new Smith and Wesson revolvers use MIM (cast) parts as opposed to the traditional forged steel parts that were Smith's mainstay for generations. Few will argue the new revolvers are a good as the old ones. I am not really "in to" Rugers so I cannot comment. What Winchesters are you referring to? In 1964 Win. took a huge dip in quality, especially the rifles. Few consider the new model 70's in the same class as the "pre-64's"
An unfortunate sign of the times I'm afraid.. I just read an incredibly in-depth review of the new ruger 1911.. Outstanding performer but it also uses "cast" parts in it's manufacture. Here is the link: http://www.1911addicts.com/showthread.php?982-Ruger-SR1911-Review

Last edited by TheOldMan; 04-26-2012 at 03:02 PM.

Old 04-26-2012, 04:15 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by billt

I haven't seen any of these "poor quality" Remington's either. This is just more Internet nonsense that gets picked up and ran with, without any real evidence what so ever to support it. Sure, there is going to be the occasional problem that surfaces with any make or model of firearm. But a lot of this is simply hatred and bias that is leveled at Remington because it was purchased by a large, multi billion dollar holding company. So based on that, and nothing else people just assume quality has fallen off a cliff. That is nonsense with nothing what so ever to back it up.

The true fact of the matter is that Remington was on the verge of going bankrupt when Cerberus Capitol Management purchased them. If it wasn't for Cerberus there would no longer be a Remington making anything. I just looked at a new Remington 870 Trap Grade shotgun. It was one of the most beautifully constructed 870's I've ever seen.
I have a model 700 .300WSM and it operates perfectly and can't complain. I am however not satisfied with their rifle ammunition. I shot a deer at 50 yds with the 300 and bullet did not expand and passed right through deer. I did recover the deer but ran about 125 yds from where it stood!

Old 04-26-2012, 05:13 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by hickracefan View Post
I have a model 700 .300WSM and it operates perfectly and can't complain. I am however not satisfied with their rifle ammunition. I shot a deer at 50 yds with the 300 and bullet did not expand and passed right through deer. I did recover the deer but ran about 125 yds from where it stood!
What type of ammunition was it?

Old 04-26-2012, 05:42 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
I do not agree. The new Smith and Wesson revolvers use MIM (cast) parts as opposed to the traditional forged steel parts that were Smith's mainstay for generations. Few will argue the new revolvers are a good as the old ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldMan View Post
An unfortunate sign of the times I'm afraid.. I just read an incredibly in-depth review of the new ruger 1911.. Outstanding performer but it also uses "cast" parts in it's manufacture.
This is yet another misinformed judgement call that continues to float around cyberland. MIM, or Metal Injection Molding, is a manufacturing process that when done correctly produced strong, sound parts that are of good quality. Far too many people with little to no metallurgical experience equate the MIM process to inferior quality. That is a false assumption based on lack of knowledge of the process itself. Ruger has proved cast steel parts are as strong, if not in fact stronger, than billet or forged parts. The Ruger investment cast Model 77 bolt action receivers are some of the strongest manufactured bolt actions manufactured to date. The Ruger cast #1 falling block action is regarded as one of the strongest in existence, bar none.

MIM parts, when manufactured correctly produce cast steel parts of much the same quality. Too many times this process is wrongly associated with, "pot metal castings", better known as die casting. This is not the case. A good example of successful MIM use is the extractor in the Remington 870 Express line of pump action shotguns. These guns have a very low failure rate of extractors. This in spite of their MIM construction. When properly applied MIM produces a quality, strong part which is more than adequate for the task it is designed to accomplish.

The problem with gun owners is they are not only reluctant to embrace new metal working technology, but at the same time would like to see everything made "the old fashion way". The problem with that is no one would be able to afford to purchase the product. If you go back to the 50's and 60's era of manufacturing, labor was downright cheap, and skilled labor was affordable. Firearms built during that time were afforded the luxury of a lot of hand work. Today labor costs and lack of skilled people negate that option. Gun manufacturers are continually having to come up with newer technology to meet the demand of being able to produce quality weapons that are also affordable. The result is CNC machining along with newer metal manufacturing processes like MIM.

When a lot of this work cannot be automated in some aspect, the results are often production costs so high, the model becomes too costly to produce. The Winchester Model 88 Lever Action, and the Browning Auto V are good examples. Only recently has the Browning Auto V been reintroduced. It was only possible by keeping the cost down by going to an Aluminum receiver, and by applying MIM technology. Without it the manufacture of the new Auto V would not have been possible. The same with the newer versions of the BLR, (Browning Lever Action), and the new long and short track BAR's. Get used to MIM parts because you are going to be seeing more and more of them in the future of gun manufacturing. It in itself doesn't mean guns are going to hell in a hand basket quality wise.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:12 PM   #40

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hickracefan

And that's why you don't hunt w Cor-lokts

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did